2010 MFA Visual Arts admission replies and results

sunjingfang1

YES!! Congrats!! :)

Is this a strong contender for you.... and were you by chance at cranbrook on the friday interview day?

I was. Lilyan from Toronto. Were you?

It's a very strong contender, but mostly I'm just shocked right now so I don't know what to think!

I was. Lilyan from Toronto. Were you?

It's a very strong contender, but mostly I'm just shocked right now so I don't know what to think!

@ruth: I was! Michelle from the midwest. I thought it might be you. :) It was great chatting with you that day, and I hope this is where you decide to go!

@Rolando: Thank you!! This is indeed the school I've been anxiously waiting to hear from. Can't believe the wait is finally over.

@Sophiab: Thank you! Seems like the excitement is catching all around this great forum.

Congratulations to you all once again!

(and sorry for the excessive use of exclamation points) lol

@ruth: I was! Michelle from the midwest. I thought it might be you. :) It was great chatting with you that day, and I hope this is where you decide to go!

@Rolando: Thank you!! This is indeed the school I've been anxiously waiting to hear from. Can't believe the wait is finally over.

@Sophiab: Thank you! Seems like the excitement is catching all around this great forum.

Congratulations to you all once again!

(and sorry for the excessive use of exclamation points) lol

I had a feeling that was you too. I'm 95% sure I'm going to accept the offer, I'm just processing everything right now. Congrats on everything! It would be great to see you there.

Interviewed at RISD this past week (painting). I think it went well, but you never know! The students were super happy there. Would be great to go, did anyone find out anything about funding while there? I heard its pretty minimal, 1200 a semester for TA'ing kind of minimal.

Is anyone applying to the Pratt MS Communications Design program?

I applied to Pratt's MS in Communications Design program. I haven't heard anything yet...the suspense is killing me! The Results Forum has two posts from people who got an email saying that their "application is complete" and is being reviewed. Not sure if this means the review process is just starting. I hope not. I didn't get that email though. So maybe I'm already out of the game. Either way, just want to know now!

Hey gang, some info for MICA Hoffberger folks:

Spoke with MICA on the phone, they said students have until the 7th to accept or decline their offer. They are expecting 2-3 people to say no (as is typical from years past). They then go back to the whole pool of 25ish alternates and select replacements based on the group they are expecting to attend, attempting to maintain a diversity of styles and find folks who'll jive together. So there is no next on the list, every alternate stands an equal chance (or so they say). They will notify all on the 21st. Hope is never lost...

Speaking of which, still no word from Cranbrook since my interview!! said they'd tell me a week ago, driving me nuts!

Right now PAFA looking like my best option, visited and could see myself there. Anyone know anything about PAFA or its reputation? Any input greatly appreciated.

Background: I went to undergrad in Philly and also applied to PAFA this round, but they didn't give me enough funding to make it feasible. I imagine you'll already know all this but:

It's a 2 year program, you can TA but it won't be paid, if you want to teach and get paid there are some opportunities working in underprivileged high schools. There's a museum attached to the school, which is located a couple of blocks away from Chinatown (which is itself only a couple of blocks unlike NYC or SF). Studios are fine, some have windows and some don't. You can petition for whichever and hope you get it. There's no darkroom facilities as it's very painting- and sculpture-centric, but they don't mind interdisciplinary at all. Representational artwork won't be shunned. I'd say it's one of the more traditional programs that's still well regarded. It's not in the top 10 or anything, but it has a decent reputation. Some of the faculty they list on their website aren't actually teaching anymore (don't remember which, but if a particular artist was super important you should definitely dig into that).

Philly's not a bad city for artists - there're a lot of museums, galleries, First Fridays, etc. You can find a decent apartment near the school for probably $500-700. The subway system is super sketchy, the buses are better but stop at every block. A lot of people bike, some have cars. There are definitely areas of the city you do not want to be especially at night, but all in all you should be fine.

Feel free to ask me specific questions.

I applied to Pratt's MS in Communications Design program. I haven't heard anything yet...the suspense is killing me! The Results Forum has two posts from people who got an email saying that their "application is complete" and is being reviewed. Not sure if this means the review process is just starting. I hope not. I didn't get that email though. So maybe I'm already out of the game. Either way, just want to know now!

I got the "app is complete" email this morning. It said we'd have an answer by April 1st. Do you know how big their program is?

West Coast applying to East Coast Schools.

I have not heard anything at all from

RISD

Columbia

SVA

Anyone on the west coast get anything from these schools for painting yet. This is starting to make me nuts. Thanks!

I am not in painting but I did receive an acceptance letter from SVA in the mail, without interviewing (which I find odd). I applied to MFA fine art (my work is more new genres/installation). I was out of the country for 9 days and it was there when I got back. I also applied to Columbia and have not heard anything as well. Considering everyone on this forum is saying interviews are necessary for Columbia, I am assuming its a no.

Has anyone heard from UCI? I interviewed with them at the beginning of the month and I haven't heard anything since...just waiting on them and columbia to be done with this process, even though I think I have made up my mind already even without hearing back from these schools.

Hi.

I'm new here.

My results:

Accepted:

Parsons (w/ funding) (mfa, fine arts)

SVA (mfa, fine arts)

Waiting:

NYU (mfa, studio art)(I understand they don't interview all of the students, but I don't know if they notify by email or regular mail)

Columbia mfa, painting (no interview so I guess that's a no)

Rejected:

NYU Tisch mfa filmmaking (but refered to the Singapour school)

So I'm still deciding where to go, but the funding is really making me go to parsons, plus I feel the faculty care a little bit more about me going there, and they seem much more welcoming, I received a call from one of the teachers to help me with any doubt, and they are more open to interdisciplinary work (which I like).

Opinions anyone? :)

(good luck and congrats to everyone!)

Seachange-

I got rejected from NYU Steinhardt via snail mail.

My fiance went to Parson's, but for fashion design. She learned alot, but it was competitive, and it didn't seem like the people spent much time bonding as a program.

The MFA painting may be different, as I'm assuming it's smaller- The school's in a great location near Union Sq. and NYU. Plus you get access to that enormous NYU library.

I got the "app is complete" email this morning. It said we'd have an answer by April 1st. Do you know how big their program is?

From what I can remember of the info session Pratt held last fall, they accepted 85-90 people and 75-80 people ultimately started in Fall 2009. The acceptance rate was 45%, so we can assume ~200 people applied last year. I hear that more people applied this year though. Still no email for me. I wonder what that means...

Got two rejection letters yesterday: VCU Sculpture and Ox-Bow residency. :(

I had already decided that next year is better for school and have been gearing up to re-apply, but the rejections still sting.

So....

Rejected

Bard

VCU

Yale

Haven't heard anything from Columbia U, but am thinking it's a rejection too.

Looking ahead to 2011. :P

updated list

accepted:

CCA

Tyler

UCSD (w/$)

CalArts

Columbia (w/merit scholarship!) :lol:

interivew:

Yale decided to turn this down, long/boring story

rejected:

USC

UCLA

UCDavis (they added, ''portfolio was not competitive")

Finally got the call from Columbia that I have been accepted! I couldn't believe it!! He did acknowledge that I seemed nervous & tongue-tied, but he said they understood! I'm so so excited and really surprised! Even though its going to be a very hard decision now. I had wanted to stay on the west coast, but Columbia actually seems the most excited about my work. Either way, all the hardest parts are over! YAY!

this is my experience so far (applying straight out of undergrad)

Accepted-

Rutgers

UPenn (got a call from the chair offering me a large amount of money)

Interviewed at Yale this past tuesday, I think it went well, but who knows.

Havent heard anything from Columbia so im assuming its a no

Updated List, 3/27

REJECTED

remains to be seen

ACCEPTED

SAIC

WAITLISTED

UIC

Columbia College Chicago

NO WORD

Parsons

Just wanted to say, that this whole process has been one, giant mind-****.

I applied to four places, one of which (SAIC) was my tip-top choice. I had NO expectation of being admitted. I was playing it safe, so to speak. I am still finishing my undergrad, but am a non-traditional student.

Being admitted to SAIC was a surprise, to say the least. It really puffed up my ego, and it was somewhat strange to hear that I had been waitlisted at Columbia College. Lame, actually.

So, my words of advice are: expect the unexpected--ALWAYS. The admissions process DOES involve a certain degree of "luck," or good timing. There are MANY applicants, whose credentials are as good, better, or below yours. The order in which they receive applications, having a more-stellar-than-average applicant pool, and any number of other factors weigh in on the decisions. There is no telling what factors are in the mix for your particular application year.

Background: I went to undergrad in Philly and also applied to PAFA this round, but they didn't give me enough funding to make it feasible. I imagine you'll already know all this but:

It's a 2 year program, you can TA but it won't be paid, if you want to teach and get paid there are some opportunities working in underprivileged high schools. There's a museum attached to the school, which is located a couple of blocks away from Chinatown (which is itself only a couple of blocks unlike NYC or SF). Studios are fine, some have windows and some don't. You can petition for whichever and hope you get it. There's no darkroom facilities as it's very painting- and sculpture-centric, but they don't mind interdisciplinary at all. Representational artwork won't be shunned. I'd say it's one of the more traditional programs that's still well regarded. It's not in the top 10 or anything, but it has a decent reputation. Some of the faculty they list on their website aren't actually teaching anymore (don't remember which, but if a particular artist was super important you should definitely dig into that).

Philly's not a bad city for artists - there're a lot of museums, galleries, First Fridays, etc. You can find a decent apartment near the school for probably $500-700. The subway system is super sketchy, the buses are better but stop at every block. A lot of people bike, some have cars. There are definitely areas of the city you do not want to be especially at night, but all in all you should be fine.

Feel free to ask me specific questions.

Thanks so so much for the info! Im sure I will have questions, but no time now.

@Kewpies: effin awsome!!! Big congrats! good luck on the decision, let us know where you end up.

Checking out for now kids, Vermont Studio Center in T minus 12 hours. :D Dont know what internet is like there. Good luck to all, and may I add that I totally agree with someone elses comment that *luck* is a major factor here. thank you all, best wishes.

From what I can remember of the info session Pratt held last fall, they accepted 85-90 people and 75-80 people ultimately started in Fall 2009. The acceptance rate was 45%, so we can assume ~200 people applied last year. I hear that more people applied this year though. Still no email for me. I wonder what that means...

@MHDG Wow, up to 80 people are admitted to the Pratt MS Comm D program? From what I'm gathering from the Pratt admissions facebook page, the email system they use is a little buggy to say the least. So I wouldn't worry if you haven't recieved the email.

Their snail mailing system might be messed up too. A few weeks after I sent in my application and portfolio, I got three of the exact same letters in the mail.

just got waitlisted for SVA (MFA painting), I got Into Parsons but SVA is my top choice, does anyone know how the process works?? I have to let Parsons know by April 15th, how long do you think I should wait to hear back from SVA?? I was told it is a pretty short waitlist but I don't wanna blow off Parsons on a hope that people will turn down their acceptance. Anyone have a similar situation??