2010 MFA Visual Arts admission replies and results

sunjingfang1

I just got my Parsons financial aid award letter in the mail today.

But, I haven't received any word on acceptance...???

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Does this mean I am in?

hah totally! most places i have been looking at are sending the financial aid letter 1-2 weeks after the acceptance. must have gotten lost in the mail! i would call them and let them know. theres no way they are putting their fin aid office to task putting together an offer for you if you are not in- CONGRATS =D

Don't know which program you mean, but as of last week LSU Painting had offered 3 of the 4 assistantships and is reserving the last one and is also hoping for more to be funded by the school. They are reviewing and/or interviewing both for the last TA(s) as well as any who wouldn't mind attending without an assistantship. Also as far as I know some of the offered haven't accepted yet, so more spots could open up. You may want to contact them to see where you stand, but I think if you're applying to Painting you still have a shot.

Thanks for all the info, although I applied for MFA in Graphic Design. They told me at the beginning of the month that I had been waitlisted and that I should hear from them within a couple of weeks. Still waiting...

Waitlist

I am on the top of the Parsons waitlist and REALLY want to go. All thats left is hearing from Yale after my interview. Anyone know the chances of getting in off the waitlist? I am hoping that some of you painting Parsons acceptance people also got into to better schools. I am freaking out a bit here.

rejected from SVA for all waiting. I heard via snail mail today. Looks like its waiting on Yale and to see if I get in off the waitlist to Parsons. I applied to six schools after being out of undergrad for a year. Looks like it may be making coffee for another year and putting together a better portfolio. No off chance something got messed up and I will be waitlisted at Parsons or Columbia without an interview right?

rejected from SVA for all waiting. I heard via snail mail today. Looks like its waiting on Yale and to see if I get in off the waitlist to Parsons. I applied to six schools after being out of undergrad for a year. Looks like it may be making coffee for another year and putting together a better portfolio. No off chance something got messed up and I will be waitlisted at Parsons or Columbia without an interview right?

I've read here that Columbia wont admit (or presumably waitlist) anyone who hasn't interviewed. That said, I spoke with someone in their admissions office today and they told me that they actually do admit some people without interviews. Personally, I was actually more at peace with the idea of Columbia being a definite no. Now that there's still a slight possibility... I don't know, it's pretty nerve racking.

Congratulations on the interview at Yale anyway - That's pretty big in and of it's self. Best of luck.

Did you get an email or snail mail for Yale GD. I am sitting in SF waiting for painting and wondering if I should be looking soon.

The head of the department sent me an email notifying me of my acceptance the same day I interviewed. It seems like they act and decide with impressive efficiency.

Best of luck to you!

The head of the department sent me an email notifying me of my acceptance the same day I interviewed. It seems like they act and decide with impressive efficiency.

Best of luck to you!

Jestem, you got an email from Ms. De Bretteville? Did you get into the 3-year program or the 2-year one?

Congrats!!

Jestem, you got an email from Ms. De Bretteville? Did you get into the 3-year program or the 2-year one?

Congrats!!

Thank you. Yes, Sheila wrote to inform me of the result. I am accepted to the 2 yr program.

Thank you all for your congrats and wishes! Best of luck to all of you!

I've called columbia and heard the same nonsense - yes, they let people in without interviews into the school of arts - but NOT in the fine arts department. And unfortunately, if you're waitlisted - you'd be waitlisted from the group of people they selected for interviews. If you haven't heard by now, it's most assuredly a rejection. It blows. This is my *third* time applying.

My scores this year

rej:

yale (photo)

columbia (photo)

bard (although the letter said I was "too advanced and had progressed too far" for their program. (photo)

Very, very frustrating. My third year applying to schools. I got into the RCA last year, but had to decline due to cost. I had a piece in the new museum and was awarded several grants this year, but I can't even score an interview at a single north american institution. Go figure. Don't know if I'll try again for a fourth year. Very disheartened.

I've read here that Columbia wont admit (or presumably waitlist) anyone who hasn't interviewed. That said, I spoke with someone in their admissions office today and they told me that they actually do admit some people without interviews. Personally, I was actually more at peace with the idea of Columbia being a definite no. Now that there's still a slight possibility... I don't know, it's pretty nerve racking.

Congratulations on the interview at Yale anyway - That's pretty big in and of it's self. Best of luck.

Helen Foresdale:

What does that even mean? They let people into the Theater and Writing programs but not Visual Arts without interviews? I keep hearing different stories from different people. I guess we should just all wait in the mail for our rejection letters and see what happens from there. Good luck to everyone. I know how this process is tough.

All Apps for Painting.

Update:

Rejected:

Pratt

SVA ( today via snail mail in SF)

NYU

MICA

RISD ( no letter yet but no interview)

Columbia ( no letter yet but no word - which I take as a no)

Waitlisted:

Parsons

Interview:

Yale - still waiting to hear

I don't quite understand how I got an interview at Yale and was rejected from EVERYWHERE else. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Congrats Lazycatfish!

@Helenforsdale & Elizabeth Brown: Don't give up...We have ALL been there. And those that haven't will...

@Helenforsdale: Maybe it's just not the right timing yet. My friend was showing alot, too and was accepted everywhere she applied after undergrad with a full ride, but was advised by her representation to show more in Miami while she was on a hot streak....She waited 2 years, did more amazing work and got into some insane exhibitions...She applied this year and got in NOWHERE. ZIP. Who knows the rhyme or reason? It was supposedly one of the most competitive years on record for the Art Ivys.

Congrats Lazycatfish!

@Helenforsdale & Elizabeth Brown: Don't give up...We have ALL been there. And those that haven't will...

@Helenforsdale: Maybe it's just not the right timing yet. My friend was showing alot, too and was accepted everywhere she applied after undergrad with a full ride, but was advised by her representation to show more in Miami while she was on a hot streak....She waited 2 years, did more amazing work and got into some insane exhibitions...She applied this year and got in NOWHERE. ZIP. Who knows the rhyme or reason? It was supposedly one of the most competitive years on record for the Art Ivys.

I agree, don't give up...and I'll be applying again next year too.

I just called Yale's photo dept. and they informed that decisions were going to be made this thursday. i'm freaking out because i didn't have a good interview like i did at SAIC. Is anybody feeling the same way? I was also told that they are going paperless this year and there will be no snail mail.

I just called Yale's photo dept. and they informed that decisions were going to be made this thursday. i'm freaking out because i didn't have a good interview like i did at SAIC. Is anybody feeling the same way? I was also told that they are going paperless this year and there will be no snail mail.

@mnchick: I called Yale this morning and they told me the same exact thing for the Graphic Design Department. I feel similar to how you feel, my interview did not go so well and I'm getting a bit anxious. They also told me to check the online portal Thursday if I still haven't received an email.

Good Luck

Edited by JCP