2010 MFA Visual Arts admission replies and results

sunjingfang1

Congrats to everyone ya'll are getting into some amazing schools!

I wanted to ask, if anyone has heard anything from LSU? Thanks!

Don't know which program you mean, but as of last week LSU Painting had offered 3 of the 4 assistantships and is reserving the last one and is also hoping for more to be funded by the school. They are reviewing and/or interviewing both for the last TA(s) as well as any who wouldn't mind attending without an assistantship. Also as far as I know some of the offered haven't accepted yet, so more spots could open up. You may want to contact them to see where you stand, but I think if you're applying to Painting you still have a shot.

Edited by aspmongo

I got my acceptance (painting) packet via priority mail on the 22nd. the date on the letter was march 17th if that helps at all.

Thanks for letting me know. I'm in California, so I guess it will take a few days...

has anyone in painting heard from VCU yet? and if you have, did you hear from them by phone, email, snail? i havent heard a word from them and am starting to wonder if they somehow lost my online application...

@jcs: My friend applied to VCU and received a snail mail rejection this afternoon. (3-24) You should be able to check if they received your app online.

@mbadger: Nice! Univ of Houston looks promising...Fotofest is an amazing fair/resource to the community.

Hello everyone. I've been reading all the posts, and I can't say I've had much luck so far. I've been out of the country for the last couple of weeks, and won't be back for one more. So, after reading what everyone else has said, it looks like those decisions are waiting in my mail box for me right now-- which is making me tear my hair out. I feel the NY Studio School is definitely my best fit- I really hope I nail this interview.

I applied to 10 schools thinking it would increase my chances... I'm beginning to think I should've spent more time on fewer apps.

Good luck to anyone still stuck in my boat.

Been rejected by

Yale

Hunter

NYU

Bard

Waiting On--

SVA

Pratt

Columbia

MICA

Waitlisted--

NYAA

Interview next week for NY Studio School

Wcjern,

I am in the same boat. I applied to ten schools and have been getting nothing but flat rejection except for an interview with New York Studio School. I too believe they are the best fit for me. Maybe the same qualities that I appreciate in them, and that they appreciate in me, are what is unappealing to all the other schools.

When is your interview? Mine is April 1st. Do you have any thoughts on what to expect, aside from the usual?

Thank you again to everyone!!! I was so surprised. I hadn't heard anything for such a long time, I thought for sure I had a rejection letter coming in the mail. I can't believe that last June, not so long ago at all, my portfolio and statement literally did not exist. A few weeks ago, I was sooo miserable. Now, I am sooo happy. What a rollercoaster! This brings me to:

Accepted: RISD, CCA, SFAI

Rejected: UCSD, Berkeley, UCLA, San Jose State (strange!), CalArts, CMU

Waiting: UCSC

Congrats to everyone else on their acceptances too!

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!

Works on Paper-

I'm on Tuesday, the 30th for the NYSS. I don't really know what to expect, but I have a few ideas. They are so focused on drawing and fundamentals, that I know they are going to be interested in knowing that you can back up whatever abstraction etc... with a solid foundation. I think they are more interested in process than outcome, as evidenced by the marathons. I'm just going to be myself, which involves no bullshit, and no highminded art speak. They seem like they'll appreciate honesty more than trying to impress.

Good luck to you-- do you know anything about their acceptance numbers? Interviews versus accepted, etc...?

Well hopefully we'll be classmates, as I know I will grow the most as an artist there ( if I get in.)

Cheers.

Can I ask which school you're holding out for?

Congrats on the acceptances too!

Thanks, Ruth! I'm head over heals for the program at Cranbrook, so of course its the only school i've applied to that hasn't released decisions yet. The wait is KILLING me! so anxious..

I saw that you're in GD too... which schools are you interested in?

Congrats to all of those getting into such awesome programs!!!

Good luck to all those still waiting!

I just received an acceptance offer from SVA (GD MFA)! :) which puts my standings at:

Admitted:

SAIC

SVA

MICA

Rejected

YALE

MCAD

VCU

Waiting on:

Cranbrook

RISD

Thanks, Ruth! I'm head over heals for the program at Cranbrook, so of course its the only school i've applied to that hasn't released decisions yet. The wait is KILLING me! so anxious..

I saw that you're in GD too... which schools are you interested in?

Congrats on your acceptance!

I was just thinking to myself today why people here don't seem to be very crazy about Cranbrook? I mean it's rated as one of the top art schools in the US. I didn't apply because I don't think I am ready for Cranbrook's no-course, self-directing learning/teaching method although I do enjoy a great level of freedom. Otherwise, it's an excellent school with excellent 2D program.

Good luck to you with Cranbrook!

Edited by Jestem

I just received an acceptance offer from SVA (GD MFA)! :) which puts my standings at:

Admitted:

SAIC

SVA

MICA

Rejected

YALE

MCAD

VCU

Waiting on:

Cranbrook

RISD

Wow, nice!!! SVA, that's amazing. Good job. Did you get any funding with them?

How did they notify you? I applied there as well.

Admitted:

SAIC

SVA

MICA

Rejected

YALE

MCAD

VCU

Waiting on:

Cranbrook

RISD

Awesome!!! Congratulations! Which one are you leaning to so far?

Hi All!

Congrats on all the acceptances!

Those of you with Yale Painting Interviews...how are they going? Just had mine on Tuesday and it was intense...I have no idea what to think.

Update:

Northwestern: Interview: Accepted: full ride/stipend

Yale: Interview

USC: Rejected

UCLA: Rejected

Columbia: No word..assuming rejected.

Good luck everyone!

Congrats on your acceptance!

I was just thinking to myself today why people here don't seem to be very crazy about Cranbrook? I mean it's rated as one of the top art schools in the US. I didn't apply because I don't think I am ready for Cranbrook's no-course, self-directing learning/teaching method although I do enjoy a great level of freedom. Otherwise, it's an excellent school with excellent 2D program.

Good luck to you with Cranbrook!

Thank you, Jestem! I've been thinking the same thing, actually. I'm surprised that so few people on here want to study at Cranbrook.

I was originally really wary of the program because it encourages such a liberal approach to art making (and I come from a really structured corporate background). After visiting and investigating the philosophy of the school, however, I feel like it's the perfect fit. I'm already really comfortable in a certain sector of design, so why not dive into the challenge of a program that pushes you to self-direct and explore new avenues.

Here's hoping... Should know by Monday!

Wow, nice!!! SVA, that's amazing. Good job. Did you get any funding with them?

How did they notify you? I applied there as well.

Thanks Commandzhee!!

And no, apparently they don't do scholarships. That's what they told me during the interview. And I found out through the mail. They sent the acceptance packet through USPS Priority Mail.

Good luck to you!! I'm sure your response its on its way to you. :)

Awesome!!! Congratulations! Which one are you leaning to so far?

Thanks Jestem! :)

I'm leaning towards MICA, it has been my top choice for about a month now - I just love the school installations and am a big fan of Ellen Lupton's and Jennifer Cole Phillips' (plus their funding offer is nice lol).

The only thing that might persuade me otherwise would be good news from RISD.

By the way, congrats on getting into so many awesome schools!

Which are you leaning towards?

Wcjern,

I am in the same boat. I applied to ten schools and have been getting nothing but flat rejection except for an interview with New York Studio School. I too believe they are the best fit for me. Maybe the same qualities that I appreciate in them, and that they appreciate in me, are what is unappealing to all the other schools.

When is your interview? Mine is April 1st. Do you have any thoughts on what to expect, aside from the usual?

I went to the Studio School for a year (before a ran out of money and had a daughter, long story) and sat in on a day of the interviews. It's a great school with a particular kind of ethos. I loved it. When I sat in, there were three faculty members (including the dean Graham Nickson) at a table, plus a student representative (me). The questions were pretty standard ones, but I'll say they shy away from artists who copy from photographs too slavishly and also artists who are more conceptual. It's much more about how you paint, why you paint, why you make certain decisions in your paintings, etc. Good luck--I loved it there.

For anyone who might be following the London schools - I just got back from my interview with Royal College of Art as well as had a nice long chat with Goldsmiths' International Officer on their campus and got to sneak a peek at the grad studios. I'd be happy to go into detail for anyone who'd like more info... pm me if you like.

Congratulations to everyone on their exciting acceptances and hang in there everyone else, don't give up!

wow i just bombed my columbia skype interview!! i feel hoooorrribble!!

i don't think my mind has ever gone blank so many times in my life. i felt like a deer in headlights :'(

at least its over?

wow i just bombed my columbia skype interview!! i feel hoooorrribble!!

i don't think my mind has ever gone blank so many times in my life. i felt like a deer in headlights :'(

at least its over?

Don't worry! I felt the same way at Northwestern AND at Yale. I think most feel like they bombed it...but that doesn't necessarily mean the faculty think you did poorly. I have heard of more people not being accepted that think they aced their interview.

Anyone else have interviews that felt the same way?

Don't worry! I felt the same way at Northwestern AND at Yale. I think most feel like they bombed it...but that doesn't necessarily mean the faculty think you did poorly. I have heard of more people not being accepted that think they aced their interview.

Anyone else have interviews that felt the same way?

(raising my hand) Me! I felt dizzy during both my MICA and my Hunter interviews. Normally I sound like a fairly intelligent, articulate person... but my nerves take over when I get into these interview situations and I can't seem to think through the questions well enough to turn around and give a reasoned response. It's unfortunate because I don't think it's an accurate reflection on my work as an artist at all.

RZN: I had my painting interview at Yale on Tuesday as well. I felt like the faculty interview went well and the grad interview went AWFUL. I wonder how much the grad students have a say? They were way more harsh and scary. What did you think?