2010 MFA Visual Arts admission replies and results

sunjingfang1

Just got the nod from SAIC painting/drawing in the mail today. Big, big, big relief after a long struggle. Here's how it's looking:

SAIC: Accepted (3/20)

UT Austin: Waitlisted (2/28)

Yale: Rejected (early Feb)

UCLA: Rejected (3/13)

RISD: TBD

MICA: TBD

Good luck to everyone, you're a great group.

CONGRATS on SAIC Tim!!! :lol: very happy for you bro, way to go!

@littlenova: thats effin awsome!!! you must be sooo excited! very happy for you also! :lol:

@AggroCragg & ~*~: Have you heard anything from Cranbrook since your phone calls? Beverly said confidently that she would be emailing everyone today, but I still have no word and am getting skeptical its gonna come.

good for you. me too.

now i'm at:

accepted:

cca

penndesign

rejected:

usc

ucsd

cornell

still waiting:

saic (interview)

yale (interview)

risd (interview)

calarts

good luck everybody.

yay more penndesign folks! i think i'm going to do it, i'll see how my massart interview goes but i loved penn. let me know what you decide and if we're going to be painting together next year =D

@AggroCragg & ~*~: Have you heard anything from Cranbrook since your phone calls? Beverly said confidently that she would be emailing everyone today, but I still have no word and am getting skeptical its gonna come.

When I talked to Beverly she congratulated me on my acceptance, so it sounds like she is handling everyone individually. I hope you hear from her soon. Either way, congrats on your positive results james! It's nice that you have options.

the outpouring of support everybody has for each other here is freakin' awesome. :D

congrats, everybody!!!

Isn't it?

Hear, hear for all the good news! So glad we're entering the homestretch.

I feel as though we should all get a commemorative t-shirt or something:

"I survived MFA admissions, 2010"

Declined

UNT

Alternate

MICA Mount Royal as of 3/22 (no interview was necessary; # of positions avail?)

MICA Rinehart as of 3/22; (interviewed on 3/14; 5 or 6 positions avail.)

Accepted

:(

Waiting on

VCU

I'm not sure that anyone's reading anymore, but congratulations to you all anyway! The hard work is paying off.

For those in the same position, if the alternate thing doesn't work out, make sure to use your free time wisely and get lots of new work done. I guess this isn't bad for first time out. Ugh, heartache.

Oh yeah -- has anyone heard anything from VCU about post dates or...anything? Thanks

Got word today from the following:

MICA Hoffberger - alternate (this was my first choice...feeling pretty frustrated right now)

MICA Mount Royal - rejected

USC - rejected

I also heard a few days ago that I'm a finalist for a TA position at UW Madison. They request my commitment by April 15, then do TA interviews April 16 (so I won't know if I'm getting $$ til after I commit...).

Meanwhile, MICA Hoffberger says they won't be extending offers of asmission to alternates until after April 21.

What to do???

i've heard back from all my schools and heres my list:

pratt: fine arts/sculpture: accepted with scholarship

umass dartmouth : fibers: accepted waiting for scholarship notification

nyu: studio art: rejected

tyler: fibers: i called and they told me i was rejected and that i'd get a letter, that was three weeks ago and still no official notice...

hunter: studio art: rejected last week

cranbrook: fibers: rejected a couple weeks ago

saic: fibers: rejected

Isn't it?

YES! i totally agree!! t-shirts + a few rounds of drinks would be nice ;)

I also heard a few days ago that I'm a finalist for a TA position at UW Madison. They request my commitment by April 15, then do TA interviews April 16 (so I won't know if I'm getting $ til after I commit...).

Meanwhile, MICA Hoffberger says they won't be extending offers of asmission to alternates until after April 21.

What to do???

By the week of your deadline, most of the top picks should have confirmed or declined since those confirming must do so by two weeks after receiving notification from Hoffberger. That gives you time to hopefully find something out from MICA. They might also be more likely to help you later since most of the accept/reject calls will die down after next week. Good luck and congrats on that offer -- sounds like a win/win.

When I talked to Beverly she congratulated me on my acceptance, so it sounds like she is handling everyone individually. I hope you hear from her soon. Either way, congrats on your positive results james! It's nice that you have options.

Thanks! Is nice to have a choice. and thanks for the info too. changes things a little. she made it sound as though she was speaking to everyone the same day and notifying all on the same day too (today). Im going insane. Big congrats on the acceptence!! Im envious, do you think you'll go? Have you visited? Where else did you apply? Cranbrook and MICA are definetly my top choices, wasnt able to visit Cran in person though.

Can you feel the love? tongue.gif I feel the love....hahahaha.....lol. *holds up a t-shirt....

Thanks and Congrats to those that heard word...There are so many amazing acceptances. It's hard to respond to each one. But, our worries are almost over, guys.

@heyoo: All incoming grads at MICA are considered for merit-based aid.

This is separate from the FAFSA. Need-based FAFSA stuff actually determines whether your loans are unsub/subsidized and... If the college has specific need-based aid, they give it out based on the income you reported (EFC). My husband and I both worked last year and we made a little too much money, so I was REALLY counting on the merit-based aid.

Edited by littlenova

Isn't it?

I second the t-shirt idea! This has been the craziest roller coaster ever!

I GOT INTO THE SLADE LAST WEEK! My top choice... and I JUST GOT INTO MICA MOUNT ROYAL WITH FULL FUNDING! SPEECHLESS!

Very confused because I was sure that my MICA interview with Frances Barth was horrendous.

I am still set on Slade because according to my research, they have the most developed facilities for what I do and want to be doing there and I just loved it so much when I went for my interview. However, with the news, I have decided to get on the plane and visit each school before I make my final decision. It is going to be hard to turn MICA or Parsons down.

I need help and advice everyone. I have no idea where to even begin with making a decision. Please help me make my mind up!

Updated List:

Accepted:

Slade -- Does anyone know about funding? I really need to call them.

Parsons -- $

MICA Mount Royal -- $

SVA -- Photography, Video and Related Media -- Has anyone heard about funding?

Rejected:

Hunter -- Combined Media

Still Waiting:

Goldsmiths

@emmyland: Congrats! Slade or MICA...hands down. biggrin.gif

I also do Photo/Video Related Media and am doing the summer program at MICA (part-time) and got the max funding they offer for summer which is 50%...Did you get a TA position?I have one for Photo in the Fall... They offer paid TA positions which are a really big perk if you want to teach after your MFA... Another "pro"for your MICA list. Ask about that...

Congrats!

p.s.

I could turn Parsons down. I visited there and had 3 friends that went there. PM me if you want the 411...lol.dry.gif

I found out today I got a scholarship to CCA, which makes me feel a lot better about the cost. I went on a tour there today, and I really liked it! I am still waiting for other responses, but I think that is where I am going to go!

Hellos all around. Congrats to everyone in this forum for posting and reading, regardless of your results. Mine are bittersweet, but not a total loss. And certainly not a waste of time. I've never felt more sure about why it is I do what I do - the research, the interviews, and this forum could probably keep me going for another year. We'll see what's in the cards...

Hunter/nyu/Tyler/rutgers- no go

pratt- waitlisted

MICA - first alternate!

Saic- prior degree BFA

city college cuny - ?

(all painting)

congratS!!!! 1st alternate to the MICA. There's much possibility. How did you know you are #1 alternate? I get email from MICA, also alternate.

Congratulations to everyone who's got good news from MICA. I'm also accepted to MFA GD with half ride. RISD also offers assistantship and fellowship!

I'm the happiest man todaybiggrin.gif

BTW, snail mails seem to take forever to arrive .....

Edited by Jestem