2010 MFA Visual Arts admission replies and results

sunjingfang1

Well.... If I had to choose at this very moment, I guess I would lean toward CalArts. There is a particular faculty member that I'm interested in studying with, and I feel more vested there bc I met with students and faculty in person during the interview process. The studio resources are also phenomenal across departments.

Honestly though, I'm holding out for an answer from a school that hasn't released decisions yet, so I'm not extremely committed to either of these places. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Can I ask which school you're holding out for?

Congrats on the acceptances too!

Thank you very much for your help!

My work is allegoric,but i am searching for the best education also.

I am still wondering which is the the best school between the two of them.

It's a hard one to answer - Visit each one if you can.

According to a U.S. News & World Report list of the top 56 MFA programs, MassArt is number 32 while BU did not make the list. That ranking isn't for painting specifically, but it's an average of all of a school's MFA programs. At the U.S. News & World Report website you can, for a fee, get access to a top 50 list of painting programs. Does anyone here know where they rank?

There are qualities of every program that might make it a perfect fit for you and that wouldn't necessarily come across in a rank. That said, I think they're a good place to start.

I was at MassArt for 4 years and loved it. The only experience I've had with BU was a lecture by, professor, Richard Ryan who seemed pretty wonderful.

Let me know if you have any questions about MassArt and good luck.

Hi --

I'm seeking Sculpture/Extended Media/Intermedia, but a couple of things here apply to many of you...

Advice on email responses/correspondence:

1) If you are forwarding Yahoo mail to an alternate account (my example: Gmail) so that you can use a more professional account name in your applications, CHECK YAHOO MAIL. I missed a notice from Rinehart in the beginning of the process and in conversation, it was mentioned that sometimes there was a problem in messages not being forwarded from Yahoo. The advisor was correct, as the mail never even made it to my spam folder. I don't know why exactly so can't help you there, just a little heads-up! I received other forwarded mailings at that time so maybe this just applies to things sent to multiple recipients?

2) Check spam folders

Okay -- schools....

ACCEPTED:

(crickets)

POLITELY DECLINED (rejected is such a nasty word):

UNT Denton (Sculpture) at random while calling about status of "incomplete transcript":

I sent transcripts, but my undergrad degrees weren't posted until two weeks ago, so admissions withheld my packet from my department. This doesn't stop portfolio browsing though, so calling after break. Wondering if my work is too weird. I like "finished" pieces and value workmanship which is why I applied there, but am in love with conceptual work and get raised eyebrows at my subjects. Good brow though, not bad brow. Part of me was hoping to stay in Texas, so that I can afford to both live and get an MFA. ;)

INTERVIEWED:

MICA Rinehart on Monday, March 15th (oh the Ides); three of us from the same school made it as finalists (not sure how many finalists there are, but 70 applied), so freaking out about that quite a bit. 1) mid-Feb, brief phone call from school to confirm interest 2) email in late Feb. stating that was a candidate 3) phone interview on Monday. Apparently some people went to the campus, but that wasn't an option that was offered to me as the interview was confirmed on Friday. Would be very happy here from what I can tell. Acceptance this year will be about 5. Chills.

WAITLISTED:

?

HELLO...IS ANYBODY OUT THERE:

VCU, Mount Royal

MICA in general: There was an email sent on 3/18 from the (general) graduate admissions office stating the following: "admissions decisions will be mailed via post on Friday, March 19th. We are not permitted to distribute any information about admissions decisions until the letters have been mailed". Apparently some of the departments have been letting some of you know, but if you haven't heard back yet don't freak.

I wish that I would have applied to more schools, but that wasn't a possibility at the time. Also other schools that I would have loved to attend had quite a bit of neo-nazi activity around them or are still segregated to some extent and I'm um...a little melanin-loaded and wanting to spend my time working, not watching my back wandering into the "wrong" neighborhood. Oy. Was really shocked that they were further north and east! We get teased about it down here, but that doesn't happen like in the movies. Good luck everyone!!!!

It's a hard one to answer - Visit each one if you can.

According to a U.S. News & World Report list of the top 56 MFA programs, MassArt is number 32 while BU did not make the list. That ranking isn't for painting specifically, but it's an average of all of a school's MFA programs. At the U.S. News & World Report website you can, for a fee, get access to a top 50 list of painting programs. Does anyone here know where they rank?

There are qualities of every program that might make it a perfect fit for you and that wouldn't necessarily come across in a rank. That said, I think they're a good place to start.

I was at MassArt for 4 years and loved it. The only experience I've had with BU was a lecture by, professor, Richard Ryan who seemed pretty wonderful.

Let me know if you have any questions about MassArt and good luck.

I have access to the full painting list...it goes up to 29. BU is #14 for painting and MassArt is not on the list.

On 3/19/2010 at 10:53 PM, alizarin said:

Hey Sophia, just curious, what are the top 11-15 for painting (if you don't mind sharing)? I know you already said SFAI & CCA are tied at 14. Thanks :)

NP!

10. Cranbrook

11. CUNY

12. CalArts

13. School of Visual Arts

14. CCA, SFAI, BU, University of Georgia, Upenn

19. Rutgers, University of Iowa, Washington University in St. Louis

22. New York Studio School, Tufts, University of Southern California, University of Texas - Austin

26. Bard, University of Illinois - Chicago, University of Washington, University of Wisconsin - Madison

I almost have them all back. I can't wait for this part to me over. (Drawing/Painting)

Accepted:

WashU St. Louis- some $ but not enough

Arizona State- waiting on funding

Waiting List:

UNC Chapel Hill

Univ. of Arizona

Rejected:

Tyler

UW Madison

UCLA

Berkeley

CU Boulder

Still Waiting to hear:

UC Davis-(got an email saying I would find out on March 23rd via website)

UW Seattle

UW Seattle is my top choice and of course it will be the last school I hear back from. I'm about to lose my mind! Have any painters heard anything?!

Has anyone besides grad_wannabe heard from USC? I think its weird no one else has heard anything, considering that they supposedly sent letters out last week

On 3/19/2010 at 11:35 PM, sophiab said:

NP!

10. Cranbrook

11. CUNY

12. CalArts

19. Rutgers, University of Iowa, WashU St. Louis

22. New York Studio School, Tufts, University of Southern California, University of Texas - Austin

26. Bard, University of Illinois - Chicago, University of Washington, University of Wisconsin - Madison

Thanks for posting these. I'm wishing now that I'd shelled out the bucks for this info while I was choosing schools. I'm happy with my choices, but I was thinking that a school's overall MFA program ranking would be similar to it's rank for painting/drawing. I can see that's not really the case.

Has anyone besides grad_wannabe heard from USC? I think its weird no one else has heard anything, considering that they supposedly sent letters out last week

I've not heard a thing. I thought that maybe since I'm on the east coast, I would have heard Thursday or even Friday of this week, but I haven't received anything. I'm assuming a rejection since I haven't been interviewed, but who knows. If it is a rejection, why not just send it now.

hey sophia, how about 1-9. is MICA-Hoffberger school of painting on the list? i was just curious let me know THANK YOU!!!!

On 3/19/2010 at 11:35 PM, sophiab said:

NP!

10. Cranbrook

11. CUNY

12. CalArts

19. Rutgers, University of Iowa, WashU St. Louis

I e-mailed NYU Steinhardt over a week ago just to make sure nothing got lost in the mail. They said a decision had been made, but it would be sent in the mail only. It does not take a week and a half to get mail from NY to DC. Anyone else not heard from them?

I e-mailed NYU Steinhardt over a week ago just to make sure nothing got lost in the mail. They said a decision had been made, but it would be sent in the mail only. It does not take a week and a half to get mail from NY to DC. Anyone else not heard from them?

I got an interview invitation on March 2nd for end of March.

Just got the nod from SAIC painting/drawing in the mail today. Big, big, big relief after a long struggle. Here's how it's looking:

SAIC: Accepted (3/20)

UT Austin: Waitlisted (2/28)

Yale: Rejected (early Feb)

UCLA: Rejected (3/13)

RISD: TBD

MICA: TBD

Good luck to everyone, you're a great group.

Just got the nod from SAIC painting/drawing in the mail today. Big, big, big relief after a long struggle. Here's how it's looking:

SAIC: Accepted (3/20)

UT Austin: Waitlisted (2/28)

Yale: Rejected (early Feb)

UCLA: Rejected (3/13)

RISD: TBD

MICA: TBD

Good luck to everyone, you're a great group.

Congratulations on SAIC and thanks for letting us know that the letters are in the mail.

this is a great forum, kinda eases the tension of the waiting game.

Drawing/Painting:

SAIC: interview + rejected 3/19

cranbrook: rejected 3/18

UofMichigan: rejected (early Feb)

Pratt: Accepted 3/18

UofIllinois Urbana: Accepted 3/12

I changed my display name because I realized that "Mod" could suggest that I was a moderator.

Another Update:

1 Interview coming up:

New York Studio School: (scheduled for 4/1)

This was the last application that I sent and it was the strongest. Also, the philosophy and methods of the school are probably best suited for me. Crossing my fingers! It would be a really good fit.

The rest are kicking my ass...

6 Rejections So Far:

Yale: (2/8 online system)

SAIC: (3/1 letter)

NYU: (3/5 letter)

MassArt: (3/10 letter)

Purchase College: (3/13 letter)

Hunter College: (3/18 online system)

Haven't heard from:

Columbia

SVA

SMFA

Hellos all around. Congrats to everyone in this forum for posting and reading, regardless of your results. Mine are bittersweet, but not a total loss. And certainly not a waste of time. I've never felt more sure about why it is I do what I do - the research, the interviews, and this forum could probably keep me going for another year. We'll see what's in the cards...

Hunter/nyu/Tyler/rutgers- no go

pratt- waitlisted

MICA - first alternate!

Saic- prior degree BFA

city college cuny - ?

(all painting)

@Viewview: First alternate at MICA would be great!!!!!!!!!!! Crossing my fingers for you. We would be in the same program and I'd have someone to walk with me through Cracktown to get to our studios. lol...tongue.gif Best of luck.

p.s.

Does this mean there might be hope for my friend, too...? She never received a call from Zlata either.

Also, where do you live? I never got my aid packet from MICA. They just went out on Friday, but...How did you hear the news that you were an alternate?

Edited by littlenova

this is a great forum, kinda eases the tension of the waiting game.

Drawing/Painting:

SAIC: interview + rejected 3/19

cranbrook: rejected 3/18

UofMichigan: rejected (early Feb)

Pratt: Accepted 3/18

UofIllinois Urbana: Accepted 3/12

Congrats on PRATT. Did they send you a letter or email you? Didi you interview?

Hellos all around. Congrats to everyone in this forum for posting and reading, regardless of your results. Mine are bittersweet, but not a total loss. And certainly not a waste of time. I've never felt more sure about why it is I do what I do - the research, the interviews, and this forum could probably keep me going for another year. We'll see what's in the cards...

Hunter/nyu/Tyler/rutgers- no go

pratt- waitlisted

MICA - first alternate!

Saic- prior degree BFA

city college cuny - ?

(all painting)

How did you fid out you were waitlisted for Pratt?