2010 MFA Visual Arts admission replies and results

sunjingfang1

RZN: I had my painting interview at Yale on Tuesday as well. I felt like the faculty interview went well and the grad interview went AWFUL. I wonder how much the grad students have a say? They were way more harsh and scary. What did you think?

I agree and had a similar experience. The faculty interview was an intense, productive and enjoyable conversation about the work and my process. I am sure you spoke with the same students and I agree that it was harsh. From what I hear they don't have as much say as the faculty in the final review next week, but they are still part of the admissions process.

It is interesting because each day there is a different faculty pair and different student pair...so I am sure everyone will have a different experience.

Best of luck!

Alright, final.

Rejected

UNT

VCU 

Waitlisted

MICA Mount Royal (?/?) on 3/22

MICA Rinehart (5 or 6/70) on 3/22

Honest congratulations to all of you who are doing well (I've seen most of your work and am glad to see talent being recognized; very impressive) and big hugs to my shipmates. Time for revenge art baby! ;)

If it weren't for this forum, I'd probably be crying into a stuffed animal or breaking some resolutions. Time to call the fiance, looks like we'll be able to afford a wedding after all! :D

(raising my hand) Me! I felt dizzy during both my MICA and my Hunter interviews. Normally I sound like a fairly intelligent, articulate person... but my nerves take over when I get into these interview situations and I can't seem to think through the questions well enough to turn around and give a reasoned response. It's unfortunate because I don't think it's an accurate reflection on my work as an artist at all.

that is exactly how i felt! especially the last part. not only does it suck to know this may have ruined my chances, but it's also just embarrassing because i feel like i didn't represent myself or my work very well. i feel like i came off looking kind of flighty because i was rambling so much. Siiigh. :unsure:

To those of you who've applied to RISD for painting, they're behind schedule and wont be mailing out half of the decisions until next week. I was able to get an answer from their admissions office over the phone though: Rejected = They're loss.

@Soootired: Cmon, now...Waitlist is GOOD. Especially if you are on two. You'll probably get into one. What do you care if you were first pic or not?...And MICA gives funding. It's better than all rejections.wink.gif

Edited by littlenova

@Soootired: Cmon, now...Waitlist is GOOD. Especially if you are on two. You'll probably get into one. What do you care if you were first pic or not?...And MICA gives funding. It's better than all rejections.wink.gif

:D Hi littlenova (loved your work)

Oh yes -- I'm absolutely honored to be considered for the waitlist and don't care about the order of pics at all. MICA was my dream choice (as in not expecting to go this far) -- but I just can't imagine that many people turning them down. I'm just trying to continue with my plans B and C just in case since I'm already 32. I would like to have a child and have two senior parents, so if I don't get my chance by next year, I'll have to wait and try again in 4 or 5 years and some schools have cut-off points as far as age goes. What I mean by "revenge art" is getting down to business and putting out work so good that people go "whoa, how did we miss that one?"

But no, I won't be that silly about it! Thanks!

Thanks Jestem! :)

I'm leaning towards MICA, it has been my top choice for about a month now - I just love the school installations and am a big fan of Ellen Lupton's and Jennifer Cole Phillips' (plus their funding offer is nice lol).

The only thing that might persuade me otherwise would be good news from RISD.

By the way, congrats on getting into so many awesome schools!

Which are you leaning towards?

I was interviewed by Jennifer, didn't get to speak with Ellen though, but the experience was a very pleasant one. I was very impressed by the school installations too, probably the best out of the line-up. And yes, the funding is just toooo tempting!!! Besides, the prospect of where the program is heading to is also very exciting. I can totally tell these two women are doing a lot to try to provide the program with the best resources.

But at this moment, I think I'm leaning towards RISD more. Though the funding they provide isn't as competitive as MICA's and comes only partly in tuition remission, I still feel it's the place closest to where I want to study design in the first place. The only thing that would top a RISD admission would be a Yale admission. I've been watching Yale GD MFA program since day one. Best of luck to us both!

Edited by Jestem

So I got wait listed at Pratt for Drawing and Painting. Got a friend to check my snail mail for me in my little post office box-- but haven't been able to check my packages, etc... as it was too late at night.

Do you think that means theirs a special delivery from SVA acceptance letter waiting there? Because otherwise I haven't heard a word, and it seems that everyone who got in got it through priority mail of some kind. Was it a big folder? Or just a small expedited letter?

Still no word from Columbia AT ALL-- which can't be good as other people have been interviewing on here. Painful- especially after they lost some of my materials, then found them again, then couldn't find my statement and resume. I had to pay 30 bucks late fee, even after I argued til I was blue in the face that it was on their end.

I was interviewed by Jennifer, didn't get to speak with Ellen though, but the experience was a very pleasant one. I was very impressed by the school installations too, probably the best out of the line-up. And yes, the funding is just toooo tempting!!! Besides, the prospect of where the program is heading to is also very exciting. I can totally tell these two women are doing a lot to try to provide the program with the best resources.

But at this moment, I think I'm leaning towards RISD more. Though the funding they provide isn't as competitive as MICA's and comes only partly in tuition remission, I still feel it's the place closest to where I want to study design in the first place. The only thing that would top a RISD admission would be a Yale admission. I've been watching Yale GD MFA program since day one. Best of luck to us both!

Awesome man!! Yeah, RISD and YALE are incredible programs. If you go to RISD, and I go to MICA, we should exchange emails and work on something together sometime! I mean, you're from Taipei right? And I bet you're crazy talented. I'm an international student too (from Mexico). I think we could make some awesome multicultural stuff! :)

:D Hi littlenova (loved your work)

Oh yes -- I'm absolutely honored to be considered for the waitlist and don't care about the order of pics at all. MICA was my dream choice (as in not expecting to go this far) -- but I just can't imagine that many people turning them down. I'm just trying to continue with my plans B and C just in case since I'm already 32. I would like to have a child and have two senior parents, so if I don't get my chance by next year, I'll have to wait and try again in 4 or 5 years and some schools have cut-off points as far as age goes. What I mean by "revenge art" is getting down to business and putting out work so good that people go "whoa, how did we miss that one?"

But no, I won't be that silly about it! Thanks!

Interesting point about age. What do yo think the cut off age is and do you know which schools have them? I thought that officially anyway age discrimination was illegal, so it may be something like that faculty will not usually be attracted to mentoring someone older in comparison to younger applicants.

Hey gang, some info for MICA Hoffberger folks:

Spoke with MICA on the phone, they said students have until the 7th to accept or decline their offer. They are expecting 2-3 people to say no (as is typical from years past). They then go back to the whole pool of 25ish alternates and select replacements based on the group they are expecting to attend, attempting to maintain a diversity of styles and find folks who'll jive together. So there is no next on the list, every alternate stands an equal chance (or so they say). They will notify all on the 21st. Hope is never lost...

Speaking of which, still no word from Cranbrook since my interview!! said they'd tell me a week ago, driving me nuts!

Right now PAFA looking like my best option, visited and could see myself there. Anyone know anything about PAFA or its reputation? Any input greatly appreciated.

Don't worry! I felt the same way at Northwestern AND at Yale. I think most feel like they bombed it...but that doesn't necessarily mean the faculty think you did poorly. I have heard of more people not being accepted that think they aced their interview.

Anyone else have interviews that felt the same way?

YES!!!! I interviewed at UMich and it was brutal. I had to present the portfolio I submitted to the program and then I was asked questions from the 3 faculty members and 1 graduate student who were in the room with me. The lady right next to me really made me so nervous for some reason. I felt like I couldn't access any of the information I could have accessed if I had time and room to think right. I was mortified after I got out of the interview!

However, I am #1 on the wait-list, so I didn't screw up too badly.

I understand how you feel, and I wish you the best of luck!

whats the deal with RISD interviews? Everyone? And in painting - anyone had one yet?

thanks so much!

I wonder that too--I know of one person in painting who was interviewed based on this forum, but otherwise I have only heard about people in other concentrations (GD, etc:). Either way I guess we will find out soon--the letters should be in the mail by now.

I wonder that too--I know of one person in painting who was interviewed based on this forum, but otherwise I have only heard about people in other concentrations (GD, etc:). Either way I guess we will find out soon--the letters should be in the mail by now.

Hey guys, I had my interview at RISD the other day. I don't really know what to think of my interview, at first I thought it went well. When it was over, I felt relieved and happy. But then after, I kept playing it over and over in my head and started to think of things that weren't good. Now, I feel like I might have done bad.. So I don't really know anymore..They said I'll find out in 2 weeks..

@Sophia, congrats for your acceptance! That's amazing! Now you don't have to settle for CCA! :)

Edited by alizarin

Hey guys, I had my interview at RISD the other day. I don't really know what to think of my interview, at first I thought it went well. When it was over, I felt relieved and happy. But then after, I kept playing it over and over in my head and started to think of things that weren't good. Now, I feel like I might have done bad.. So I don't really know anymore..They said I'll find out in 2 weeks..

@Sophia, congrats for your acceptance! That's amazing! Now you don't have to settle for CCA! :)

Thanks so much! I'm sooo happy. I am going to go visit in a week. I hope I love it!

I hope you get some good news from them too!

Edited by sophiab

Hey gang, some info for MICA Hoffberger folks:

Spoke with MICA on the phone, they said students have until the 7th to accept or decline their offer. They are expecting 2-3 people to say no (as is typical from years past). They then go back to the whole pool of 25ish alternates and select replacements based on the group they are expecting to attend, attempting to maintain a diversity of styles and find folks who'll jive together. So there is no next on the list, every alternate stands an equal chance (or so they say). They will notify all on the 21st. Hope is never lost...

Speaking of which, still no word from Cranbrook since my interview!! said they'd tell me a week ago, driving me nuts!

Right now PAFA looking like my best option, visited and could see myself there. Anyone know anything about PAFA or its reputation? Any input greatly appreciated.

James- thanks for the info about the MICA Hoffberger alternate pool. As far as PAFA goes, I think the program has a reputation for being figurative/observational, with students who are committed to that way of working and have a very high level of technical ability.