SSHRC 2010

Hypatia

'Recommended but not funded', as well. Don't know where I am on the waiting list, but it doesn't look good. Ah well. Back to comps prep! Best of luck to the rest of you!

Also "recommended but not funded." Heard back from from an email sent to grad studies at my university. Too late today for me to call SSHRC but I may do that tomorrow to get more details about where I sit on the waitlist (if that's what this means). I had interpreted the response as an outright "no" so now I'm more confused than when I thought I was turned down. /sigh/ Guess I'll continue the job hunt...

no letter yet... (US). some nervous times ahead as I can't call the graduate school as they won't know so waiting for the mail. I am happy though for all of you who have received good news. And those who did not receive good news, I hope you try again :). I onlyhave 1 year left so this is it :)

Just won the Big SSHRC. Take that US school wink.gif

I am happy for you. Does a big or small sshrc refer to the # of years?

could people please explain how they found out their results?

people are variously emailing / getting emailed by their graduate coordinators/grad studies departments/etc. as those results are made available, university by university.

$35,000/year for 36 months.

Congratulations!

I don't understand... I thought it was $20.000

Can you explain how you got $35000?

Congratulations!

$35k/year for 3 years is the "super-sshrc". It's only tenable in Canada. The sshrc fellowship is $20k/year for up to 4 years. It's tenable anywhere in the world.

$35k/year for 3 years is the "super-sshrc". It's only tenable in Canada. The sshrc fellowship is $20k/year for up to 4 years. It's tenable anywhere in the world.

That is pretty sweet! Congrats again!

Congratulations!

*jaw drops* Sorry, I'm just such a giant flaming SSHRC geek that I'm always amazed when people ask questions like this. Very reasonable question, though.

There are two levels of doctoral SSHRC funding: Doctoral fellowships and Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarships (CGS). The former is "small" SSHRC, and pays out at $20,000/year up through the end of your fourth year. The latter is the "big" SSHRC, which pays out at $35,000 for three years. You can only win a CGS that begins in your first or second year.

So a CGS is always $35,000/year for 36 months, while a small SSHRC is $20,000/year for either 12, 24, 36, or 48 months, depending on where you are in the program.

On a side note, if you study outside of Canada and you win a CGS, you have to downgrade it to a small SSHRC. Big SSHRCs can't leave the country. So as people studying abroad downgrade their awards, a bunch of people studying within Canada who initially got small SSHRC will suddenly get big SSHRC as the funds are re-allocated.

ETA- Cross-posted with

Sempiternipulus, who was much more concise. :P

Edited by mudlark

I'm emailed the Grad. school. coordinator

Thanks for replying. At université de Montréal everybody's clueless.

OMG, at the 11th hour, just before she left the office for today, my dept Grad admin emailed me to let me know informally that my name appears on her list as successful applicant. She'll call them tomorrow to inquire more.

<huge relief>

Who's up for drinks?

On a side note, if you study outside of Canada and you win a CGS, you have to downgrade it to a small SSHRC. Big SSHRCs can't leave the country. So as people studying abroad downgrade their awards, a bunch of people studying within Canada who initially got small SSHRC will suddenly get big SSHRC as the funds are re-allocated.

LOL, that's probably a bit optimistic, mudlark (though of course I would love to be bumped up!).

I won a small SSHRC!!! Heard from my grad chair by e-mail this afternoon! I'm still dying to know what my score is, so that I know if I have any chance of getting bumped up to a CGS as people studying abroad downgrade.

Congrats buddy!!

OMG, at the 11th hour, just before she left the office for today, my dept Grad admin emailed me to let me know informally that my name appears on her list as successful applicant. She'll call them tomorrow to inquire more.

<huge relief>

Who's up for drinks?

torontonians -- if you are serious about drinks, let me know! i am. tonight i have a gig (back room at the tranzac. i'll be the guy with a bari sax if anyone is around) otherwise, let's do grab a pint at some point over the summer.

Congrats to all that have heard word of their award, and my conmisserations to those on the wait list.

I just spoke to my grad secretary and she said that my school/dept will know when I know. That's for SFU, and the mail will still be several days in coming out here <sigh>.

And like some of us on the forum today, that means I should get back to thesis writing <bored now>.

torontonians -- if you are serious about drinks, let me know! i am. tonight i have a gig (back room at the tranzac. i'll be the guy with a bari sax if anyone is around) otherwise, let's do grab a pint at some point over the summer.

I'm serious. Once everyone knows their status, we should coordinate time & place. It will sure be interesting to meet other people who go to my school and haven't had a chance to meet because of our different programs. I know it may sound a bit strange to get together with a bunch of anons from the internet, but I've done that before, and it was fun.

Just received mail notification (I am in Ottawa) of PhD SSHRC 4 X 20,000.

Competition Results-21.4/30

I got a heads up yesterday from a university administrator that good news was on its way.

congrats! awesome results!