First Rejection

chemmefatale

Adapting and the belief of determinism in these situations are what keep me sane. I received my first rejection today. I'm not ashamed to admit I cried for a good two hours. Then I burnt the rejection letter. I am extremely impressed with the quality of paper used for the letter. The flames on it were amazing. After a bottle of wine, things do not look as bad. Plan C is in gear, since Plan B is most likely not going to work out.

Good luck with the rest of your schools!

Last year I received all rejections. It wasn't easy, but I ended up deciding to spend the year clearing off all my debts, saving all the money I could, and buffing up my credentials. I decided to reapply for Fall 2010, but have a fallback plan this time: I'd take all the money I'd saved and move back to Eastern Europe where I'd lived for a number of years.

I guess my higher GRE scores, better letters of rec, and strong purpose statements worked because I've already gotten into most of my top schools and interview with another one in two weeks. I still have a few schools out there that haven't informed me, but I could care less -- in some ways I'd like to get a rejection from one just to laugh it off.

In the end, that extra year was huge. It sucked having to delay my future, but I'm in a better place in life for where I want to go. Plus, had it all failed, I would have been able to flee the country and start speaking some Russian again while drinking some real vodka.

I wish you all luck.

i got my first rejection today, an email from the director of the program saying that i had not been recommended for admission and she suggested that i am more suited to another program which is a part of the same department and i should be applying there, the graduate coordinator should be contacting me shortly about the process.

Unsure about taking the directors advice. i am yet to hear from other schools, hopefully i hear some good news.

it sucks for the first one to be a reject, if i had an admit and then rejects would not hurt so bad :(

Good luck to everyone else out there

S

Edited by secur_nwing

I got my first rejection on Friday and my second today. I was really expecting rejection from the beginning, but it aches all the same, just a little. I'm working on back-up plans for what to do if I get rejected from the other schools I've applied to as well. Maybe go to a few conferences, come up with a better writing sample, teach English?

I have yet to receive a formal rejection, however, one of the programs I applied to have already had interviews and sent out acception emails. If I haven't heard anything at all does them does that pretty much mean I will be getting a rejection from them soon? sad.gif

I got two rejections and it sucks. Both happened in early Feb. I drank a bottle of wine and cried. It pissed me off soooo much! Then a paper I submitted for publication got rejected. For an entire week I did almost NO WORK. I had no desire to do anything...thinking my life was a waste and I was going nowhere. Sucks being in limbo!

Edited by skiergirl24

Monday's over and still no news. Heard that one school was making acceptance calls and it really makes me quite sad. I starting to wish that I had never started this whole 'oh well, let's do a PhD in the US' thingy. These days are awful.

I got a rejection today as well. It said the following:

How dare you apply to our illustrious program you unworthy miscreant! We are dispatching ninjas to your home to punish you for your folly!

(Or something very similar to that)

Rejections are to be expected in an endeavor of this kind. As Dumas said so eloquently, "All human wisdom is summed up in these two words: Wait and Hope".

WooHoooo! I got my first rejection yesterday,called the Northwestern IGP office and I was informed that I haven't been selected for the interviews which in turn meant rejection. Later yesterday,I received a generic e-mail informing me the same. Nothing out of the blue,just as expected.That leaves me with 6 more schools to go.

I was not contacted for an interview at Syracuse but I called to inquire about my application and they told me they were still making decisions. I don't know what that means...if I am rejected just tell me already. I am going home in a few minutes....maybe UCONN has sent me a letter....we shall see.....

I got my first rejection letter. I have 6 more to go though, things will have to work out.

Also, another school emailed me saying that the director of the program recommended me to the graduate committee but they still need another transcript. Not sure if this is good news or bad news.

Go to Alcohol. Go directly to Alcohol. Do not pass Liquor Cabinet, do not collect 200$.

Bless your heart, that's the way to do it!

I applied to three programs and just got my first rejection. Needless to say, dark clouds over the other two, at least in my mind.

What does this mean for me? It means I'm stocking up on vodka.

Good luck to all of you with the rest of your options, it's nice to know we're all in the same boat!

I got my first rejection today, and even though it was from a school I knew I would probably not go to, it still hurts. They said it was because they just don't have the funding, but I am still taking it personally, which I know I shouldn't. I think what is the worst part is that I finally figured out where I want to go for sure (if I am accepted it will be hard to not immediately reply with YES!), and knowing that I have been rejected from this school makes me feel like I might not get accepted to my top choice, even though I know my interview went better at my top choice than the school I was rejected from. Oh well, still have 2 weeks until decision time for the other schools.

Also have had my first reject two days ago (probably for funding reasons). From a school where I'd probably not go.

Whole application-thing is making me quite nervous. Been checking mail every few hours or so, and unable to concentrate on anything, which is a big problem as I'm currently in a MA-program where some work is expected from me as well. Never thought it would all be so stressful.

Whole application-thing is making me quite nervous. Been checking mail every few hours or so, and unable to concentrate on anything, which is a big problem as I'm currently in a MA-program where some work is expected from me as well. Never thought it would all be so stressful.

Yes, it is very stressful. I have both some MA work that I'm finishing. In fact, my comprehensive exams are in three weeks. I also have a part-time job. And I'm finding it extremely difficult to concentrate on anything at the moment. I am glad that I took less credits than I would normally in a semester.

Just got my 1st rejection letter - from the program that was supposed to be my "backup." Not sure if this is a good thing or some evil foreshadowing. Will burn letter when I get home.

got my first rejection email from the lowest ranked school (of the schools i applied). trying to be optimistic but i'm pretty sure it means i'll be applying again next year...

have you heard from other schools yet?

good luck.

i got my first rejection letter in mid-february (also the only school I've applied that has responded so far). Waiting for other schools' decisions, whether they are acceptances or denials...

Man I just want the decisions to arrive already; I've been checking my email constantly in past couple weeks and at this rate, I'll never finish my take-home midterm and other assignments due tomorrow...