Funded interdisciplinary/ MFA program with loose boundaries

milky lumps

Hi, I'm new to this page and also to the grad school search.

I graduated in 2015 and have been working and showing since then, not as much as I would like but you live and you learn and time passes quickly. Anyway, I am starting to look into schools to get ready to visit in the coming year and apply the year after that (I have a great studio space where i'm living promised to me for the next 2 years hence the time line). I'm also going to apply for residencies and I imagine that will help hone my intent and my search for schools, but in the meantime I figured I'd better start.

One thing I know is that I am not an expert in any particular medium. I got my degree in printmaking and I'm probably most skilled in drawing first, printmaking second, but my work has been installation that incorporates different ways of working. I also went to alfred for ceramics for a short period. I know I want a fairly open, not too technically based program (for instance I like using ceramics in my work, would like access to that, but I wouldn't want to go somewhere where they focus on in depth technical knowledge of the material). I've also considered starting out in printmaking or drawing/painting and just expanding once I get into the program. Or getting a degree in something so I can teach it but also being able to make the kind of work I want to make while I'm there. 

I'm wondering if anyone knows of good schools that are very open to that fluidity of focus. Either schools whose programs are inherently interdisciplinary or whose programs aren't too rigid. 

I'm also pretty sure I can only manage to go somewhere that is fully funded/ can give me a stipend as a t.a.? which I understand requires me upping my game to even be considered.

a city is a plus.

so obviously I'm looking for a unicorn of a school.

I think NYU is a good one for what you are looking for. I got a tour while I was over there for an interview.

They accept only 10 students per class, and it is a mix of disciplines. Current students confirmed the program is very interdisciplinary. To use facilities you are unfamiliar with, it seems you just have to go through a workshop instead of a whole class. During the interview I mentioned how I'd like to expand my practice into other disciplines, and the panel was very encouraging of this.

Students also receive 50% scholarship across the board, which also includes fees. Any student who is interested in teaching are hired as adjunct undergrad professors in their 2nd year, and receive 6k per class. I think if you are interested in teaching, you just have to do assistantship in the 2nd semester of your first year for training purposes.

While during the interview they confirmed there are on-campus jobs, they also discouraged taking too much on my plate as they indicated the program is studio heavy, and the priority should be there. 

There are other things that I liked about the program. If they offer me admissions I will probably accept.

• 7 months later...

Most all MFA programs will allow you to work and explore interdisciplinary. Ones you are accepted in your MFA program every course they offer is open for you to explore.  I noticed 3 year MFA programs are often fully funded and you get the experience teaching. 

Hey there, I would check out UAlbany. Their program has recently moved to being very interdisciplinary. I spoke with several of the professors there who said you can basically do what ever you want when you get in. That being said you do have to apply through a specific medium. Also, one of the professors there, Adam Frelin, is an installation guy so you might enjoy his work. 

UAlbany is not super unique in it's interdisciplinary fashion but the main reason I suggest it is due to the funding. It is a state school so it's very affordable and even more so if you live in NY.  Every student is given a TA position of some sort which includes a stipend and tuition remittance, so about 85% of your costs are covered out right, and it could be even more once you include need based. Downtown Albany is a fun and busy place and it is very easy to get to NYC from there. I hope this is helpful, good luck! 

• 4 weeks later...

UCSB is a very loose and open program. It's interdisciplinary with full funding, guaranteed TA-ships and fellowships for some.

Some other perks:

-great facilities

-engaged faculty

-relatively close to LA

-beautiful campus & huge studios

I started the MFA program at UCSB this Fall. If anyone has questions, message me  : ) 

On 12/4/2017 at 3:00 PM, sssettam said:

UCSB is a very loose and open program. It's interdisciplinary with full funding, guaranteed TA-ships and fellowships for some.

Some other perks:

-great facilities

-engaged faculty

-relatively close to LA

-beautiful campus & huge studios

I started the MFA program at UCSB this Fall. If anyone has questions, message me  : ) 

On their graduate website it says fellowships are given to students that the faculty selects? So not all students get funding?

On 12/7/2017 at 7:57 AM, darsenbehelm said:

On their graduate website it says fellowships are given to students that the faculty selects? So not all students get funding?

Everyone gets funded with the TA-ship. The TA-ship pays a modest salary and includes a remission of all fee's and tuition costs. From my understanding certain out of state applicants may have to pay the out-of-state fees the first year, but not the second because you can claim residency. I came from out of state and everything was covered.

Some people get extra funding through the fellowships. I believe everyone gets smaller amounts of extra funding through grants, etc. It's a hidden gem and the art dept overlooks a lagoon! 

• 4 weeks later...

I can only speak for CU Boulder, but you do have to apply for a specific area for the admissions process. This is usually more of a selection as to which faculty you want to mentor you to throughout your time here (but you can always add faculty from other areas to your committee/mentors), but you can take classes and work in any area. We've had printmakers do their thesis in clay when they had no clay experience before. Our ceramics program has admitted students who never touched clay again after being admitted - moved to installation and multimedia work. Painters turned into sculptors, etc. 

CU Boulder has two kinds of funding positions - teaching (Graduate Part-Time Instructors/ GPTIs) and non-teaching (Graduate Assistants/ GAs). On the high end (GPTIs) it comes with 8 credit hours of tuition remission (most students take 9, so you end up having to cover 1 credit hour or take 6 your first year to break even), $18,000 each year stipend/salary, and 80% of your health insurance covered. You end up paying $160 or so a semester for amazing health insurance that comes with a lot of free and unlimited services. There are also substantial scholarships awarded each spring, and fellowships that are allocated to first-years as well as continuing students. We also have students who have work-study hourly jobs in the department. We have students who teach up to 6 semesters with us, which is awesome. You have a lot of opportunities to experiment and hone your teaching style. We also have a Graduate Teacher Program that will allow you to get a certificate in college teaching if you are interested in making yourself more competitive for teaching jobs when you get out. 

It hasn't been very easy to see our alumni record (this will be changing soon with our website redesign), but 90% of our alumni are still making art and there have been great successes come from our program including being chairs and tenured faculty at numerous universities, managing Ceramics Monthly magazine, Directors of arts residencies, and many other working in arts-related fields as well as continuing independent art practices. 

CU Boulder Art, I love what you are bringing to the forum. You are inspiring me to check out you program. One reason I have been considering the MFA is in order to teach at the University level if the opportunity comes along. I see so many high school educator setting their own art aside never to work as a professional artist again. I love to see my professors being professionally engaged in the art world.