I can totally relate to how your feeling. I recently got some not so good news about my father's health as well and will be moving away this fall. I have felt torn about the situation and it totally sucks! I think having close communication with family and the university will help in case anything arises. You are making the right decision and shouldn't feel guilty about what others might think. Sending positive vibes to you and your family~ :) 

@plume Emerson and Boston are awesome!!! And things happen for a reason and I firmly believe things play out they way they're supposed to and meant to in the end. It sounds like you are deciding on the path  that is meant for you! Congratulations and good luck!!! You will love Boston! And also I send my well wishes to your dad. Just your love and support will help to heal him as well, always remember that. The key to good health is a happy heart. If he has your love, no matter the distance, his heart will be happy and everyone will be praying for his health and improvement! You should be so proud of yourself for making this difficult decision and for making it this far in your career! ? I'm sure everything will work out for the best! Again congrats and lots of luck! Thank you for sharing this with all of us, im sure it wasn't easy. 

Edited by AVG244

On 4/30/2017 at 1:11 PM, plume said:

I'm sorry, I have been sort of avoiding this forum because of this decision! It has been a seriously emotional and teary rollercoaster (sort of ridiculous, I know—I am blessed to have options!) but I have come to a decision.

I will be attending Emerson next year. My dad was hopeful I would move to Cali—we are Italian, and family is everything!—but he is supportive of my decision. I was talking to my mom and we were discussing how by Christmas I will be 1/4 of the way done if I go to Emerson, and I won't have even started the prerequisites yet at Redlands. There are other factors in the mix... my long-term partner is applying to med school, and if he cannot get into a school near me we will only be apart for one year if I go to Boston, versus two years if I go to Redlands. He is going to apply to soCal programs so we might have the option to be near my family. I know there is no guarantee he will get in, but Emerson just provides flexibility sooner. I'm also not sure if this is viable, but I could possibly stay at home for a few months after my program or do my CFY there. If my dad's health does go downhill, I will need to take a break regardless of whether I am in Cali or Boston—I will be there for my family. My sister and I also laid out all of my breaks. I am planning to purchase tickets to CA for every one of them (they are surprisingly affordable, minus over Thanksgiving), and I am going to try to be home every 2 months. It makes me feel better to know I will be home more often than I have been in my working life over the past 5 years.

There was no wrong answer here, and I know I would be very happy at either program. I knew I would regret something if I went to either one, too. I guess the other piece is that in my gut, I really want the experience of Boston and to go to Emerson, and I honestly felt sort of sad when I was admitted to Redlands because I felt obligated to go. I have not heard anything really negative about either program, but I had to pick something!

I am worried people will think I am a bad person for choosing the program away from family. I am teary writing this, because I worry so much about my dad, but I cannot plan for his death and I have no idea when it will happen. I am now focusing on trying to  feel confident with my decision and moving forward with this adventure! Also, I just need to say, THANK YOU everyone for all of your help!!! (And thanks for the emotional dump here!)

I am SO happy for you. It sounds like you have mapped it all out and I have followed your journey and know this wasn't an easy decision. I know you'll be great at Emerson and I wish you the best in your career!!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2017 at 1:11 PM, plume said:

I'm sorry, I have been sort of avoiding this forum because of this decision! It has been a seriously emotional and teary rollercoaster (sort of ridiculous, I know—I am blessed to have options!) but I have come to a decision.

I will be attending Emerson next year. My dad was hopeful I would move to Cali—we are Italian, and family is everything!—but he is supportive of my decision. I was talking to my mom and we were discussing how by Christmas I will be 1/4 of the way done if I go to Emerson, and I won't have even started the prerequisites yet at Redlands. There are other factors in the mix... my long-term partner is applying to med school, and if he cannot get into a school near me we will only be apart for one year if I go to Boston, versus two years if I go to Redlands. He is going to apply to soCal programs so we might have the option to be near my family. I know there is no guarantee he will get in, but Emerson just provides flexibility sooner. I'm also not sure if this is viable, but I could possibly stay at home for a few months after my program or do my CFY there. If my dad's health does go downhill, I will need to take a break regardless of whether I am in Cali or Boston—I will be there for my family. My sister and I also laid out all of my breaks. I am planning to purchase tickets to CA for every one of them (they are surprisingly affordable, minus over Thanksgiving), and I am going to try to be home every 2 months. It makes me feel better to know I will be home more often than I have been in my working life over the past 5 years.

There was no wrong answer here, and I know I would be very happy at either program. I knew I would regret something if I went to either one, too. I guess the other piece is that in my gut, I really want the experience of Boston and to go to Emerson, and I honestly felt sort of sad when I was admitted to Redlands because I felt obligated to go. I have not heard anything really negative about either program, but I had to pick something!

I am worried people will think I am a bad person for choosing the program away from family. I am teary writing this, because I worry so much about my dad, but I cannot plan for his death and I have no idea when it will happen. I am now focusing on trying to  feel confident with my decision and moving forward with this adventure! Also, I just need to say, THANK YOU everyone for all of your help!!! (And thanks for the emotional dump here!)

I can completely relate to you! I was really hoping to get into the one program in the state where my family lives. Sadly, I did not. I have lived far away from my family for the past 5 years and I was so looking forward to moving back home, just to be closer to them.  I got accepted (off the waitlist) to Emerson today and I'm really excited. I feel that it's meant to be, moving from Oregon to Boston is a huge step out of my comfort zone and I know it'll help me to grow. 

Congratulations to you!

On 5/10/2017 at 3:10 PM, elenaj said:

I can completely relate to you! I was really hoping to get into the one program in the state where my family lives. Sadly, I did not. I have lived far away from my family for the past 5 years and I was so looking forward to moving back home, just to be closer to them.  I got accepted (off the waitlist) to Emerson today and I'm really excited. I feel that it's meant to be, moving from Oregon to Boston is a huge step out of my comfort zone and I know it'll help me to grow. 

Congratulations to you!

And congratulations to you!! That is so exciting that you are able to feel good about where you are going! We will both be far from home, and I feel the same way about it being a good experience! Let's connect—there is a Facebook page for CD students titled EC CD MS 17!