Fulbright 2018-2019

AnnMarie

On 3/6/2018 at 10:13 AM, ellevine said:

What makes you feel it'll be so soon? I'm a Spain applicant too (Research), so I'm wondering if I missed something that could give me hope for hearing sooner than I expected (April).

Best of luck!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AlU2xDiiVhQjK3quPy6qXJuhgXYghzzG8L4YNT0unX0/edit#gid=578086360 

Here's the spreadsheet of initial and final notification dates that's been compiled over the last decade. It looks like for the past three years, Spain has notified its applicants in the same mid-March window. That's why I'm on edge!

Hi y'all, gave in and made an account just like every other anxious semi-finalist out there... Does anybody know what happened to the spreadsheet? All the data from this year has been eliminated, the chat sheet deactivated, and the access changed to view only. I'm a little confused? Seems like a curious thing for somebody to do.

4 minutes ago, laserena said:

Hi y'all, gave in and made an account just like every other anxious semi-finalist out there... Does anybody know what happened to the spreadsheet? All the data from this year has been eliminated, the chat sheet deactivated, and the access changed to view only. I'm a little confused? Seems like a curious thing for somebody to do.

Are you looking at this sheet? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Cd86U9AreH9k_-WKLKnLCLn_C5MC3FKvZZ9RhlqSAq4/edit#gid=2001832949 

6 minutes ago, thepictureisstill said:

Hmmm, apparently not-- I clicked on a different one in this thread: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AlU2xDiiVhQjK3quPy6qXJuhgXYghzzG8L4YNT0unX0/edit#gid=1535702113. Thanks for the accurate link!

To those who are having the transcript issue, here is what I received from Fulbright:

"Hi xxxxx,

As per our conversation earlier I tried to track down your BA/MA transcript to verify your MA degree. Unfortunately, as the document was saved in our drive it has expired and we are unable to verify your degree. Would it be possible to have the registrar’s office send another copy to fusptranscripts@iie.org? Sorry for the confusion!"

If you are having this issue, you can try and contact them, but if you're about to be going on spring break and your registrar's office will soon be closing, I think it may be a good idea to go ahead and send another copy.

Update for those of us with missing degrees on print transcripts:

I called just now, and I didn't have to wait at all for a real person. (I heard that earlier the lines were super busy.) The lady I spoke with was able to look up my transcript and verify the missing degree, and I don't have to send anything in. I sent an email two days ago and still haven't gotten a response, but this was very quick and easy.

There's been some discussion of this reddit post on the spreadsheet chat. It sounds like the significance of it might be overblown -- some Fulbright advisors have told their applicants that this won't actually affect notification dates this year. I figured I'd post it here anyway, since there's a troll in the spreadsheet deleting the link.

Edited by msmith1990

So someone has deleted all of the posts since 1/26 (some of which had very important info for applicants) on the spreadsheet chat. Maybe we should migrate the chat to a more stable platform?

Edited by jbconnor

4 minutes ago, msmith1990 said:

They just did it again. Who actually owns the document? Perhaps we should just lock it.

I second this proposal - I rely on that chat to maintain my sanity

So, here is just a thought.  The information provided to Fulbright Campus Reps indicates that all countries had to notify the US board of their decisions by March 2.  Funding issues will not have delayed this deadline; it would only delay final notifications.  It would seem plausible that those who received emails that transcripts were missing are probably finalists since thotse emails went out on Tuesday (3-6).  I would think that the clerical work involved in notifying people is tasking, and why would you expend the energy and time to notify those not selected about missing transcripts?  Just an idea. I could be completely wrong and just anxious.

43 minutes ago, Chris K said:

So, here is just a thought.  The information provided to Fulbright Campus Reps indicates that all countries had to notify the US board of their decisions by March 2.  Funding issues will not have delayed this deadline; it would only delay final notifications.  It would seem plausible that those who received emails that transcripts were missing are probably finalists since thotse emails went out on Tuesday (3-6).  I would think that the clerical work involved in notifying people is tasking, and why would you expend the energy and time to notify those not selected about missing transcripts?  Just an idea. I could be completely wrong and just anxious.

Ugh, I hope not, I did not hear about a missing transcript :wacko: Waiting sucks!!! Sending good vibes to everyone.

4 minutes ago, dbookworm said:

Ugh, I hope not, I did not hear about a missing transcript :wacko: Waiting sucks!!! Sending good vibes to everyone.

Remember that not getting an email just means that they got your transcript and processed it right the first time!

4 minutes ago, dbookworm said:

Don't look too deep into it. They request official transcripts from each and every semi-finalist. Regardless of whether you are ultimately a non--select, alternate, or finalist. 

7 minutes ago, dbookworm said:

Just because you did not hear anything would not be bad.  I only meant why would they notify people of missing transcripts if they already know who the finalists are?  It seems that most of the people who got emails were those who had submitted electronically or had two degrees on one transcript, i.e.: undergrad and masters.  I'm sure it was only a handful of people who got the clerical error. Therefore, if your transcripts were entered correct initially, then you're fine

Edited by Chris K

since we're running through hypotheticals, i'll throw in my $0.02 based on the info we have plus every else's ideas

• if a person did not receive a note that their transcript was not received, i would default to transcript status as received. thus, there would be no reason to contact the person
  • i think people who were contacted about their transcripts are not default finalists for a couple reasons. first, i'm not sure of the structure of the office--those working the transcript items may or may not be part of the team communicating finalist status. second, the status is not binary (either finalist or not selected)--there is also alternate status. third, it would make sense to me to gather all semi-finalist transcripts given that some people who do make finalist or alternate status will decline, some will be unable to attend due to whatever circumstance (medical, family, money, etc.), and (highly unlikely) maybe someone who made it to finalist/alternate status bombed this most recent semester or was dishonest somehow in their application

again, i have no insight into this process, just killing some time instead of checking the spreadsheet or my email