Fulbright 2018-2019

AnnMarie

OK so I have what feels like a huge problem: I just found out today that someone else from my school is a semifinalist to the same country, also likely in the same field. Creative proposals already are underfunded, so finding out that I'm up against another designer is making me lose my mind. I have no idea what his proposal is about, but does anyone have any sort of idea how bad this truly is for my chances? Has anyone ever heard of two students from the same school getting funding in similar (if not the exact same) field in one year? 

::throws head into hands and sobs::

Any insight would be relieving, to say the least!

Edited by ellevine

1 hour ago, Samye23 said:

Just got accepted into my PhD program with funding! Yay!! I am eagerly awaiting my Fulbright notification so I send them my final decision...what are y'all's other options if the Fulbright results don't turn out as we are hoping it will?

Shake my fist at the heavens a bit, then go a few months as a programmer before either applying to grad school at Pittsburgh with one of my old professors, or applying for an engineering job for a west-coast company with ties to Japan. I'd prefer to immediately move to something that keeps my Japanese fresh, but we'll see.

On 2/21/2018 at 7:15 PM, MeltaMarky said:

@heretofulbright @AMill  @ginahyena1 @erein42

SO, Fulbright to Turkey is NOT cancelled yet, because guess who's a semi-finalist?! I didn't get my email until 6pm tonight! Now I have to get my transcripts in by the 28th!

Congrats!!! Me too! Maybe we’ll see each other overseas soon. Good luck everyone ?? 

Hey everyone, 

I just had my Fulbright interview this morning and wanted to give some words of advice to those of you who are still waiting to interview. 

• Be prepared to answer why you chose the host country for your particular project.
  • Why do you need to (physically)  be in the host country to carry out this project.
  • Why is your project important and worthwhile.
  • How will the Fulbright experience contribute to your future endeavors.
  • How will you be an example of a typical American and act an ambassador for cultural exchange while in the host country.

Also, make sure you have interesting questions for the committee and that these questions reinforce your interests in being an ambassador between the two countries. 

Overall, the interview is way for the committee to determine if you are able to articulate the importance of your project to both the U.S. and the host country and to also get a feel for your enthusiasm and personality as they relate to the missions of the Fulbright. 

Always remember to smile :D

Best of luck!

1 hour ago, Maverick_88 said:

Hey everyone, 

I just had my Fulbright interview this morning and wanted to give some words of advice to those of you who are still waiting to interview. 

• Be prepared to answer why you chose the host country for your particular project.
  • Why do you need to (physically)  be in the host country to carry out this project.
  • How will you be an example of a typical American and act an ambassador for cultural exchange while in the host country.

Also, make sure you have interesting questions for the committee and that these questions reinforce your interests in being an ambassador between the two countries. 

Overall, the interview is way for the committee to determine if you are able to articulate the importance of your project to both the U.S. and the host country and to also get a feel for your enthusiasm and personality as they relate to the missions of the Fulbright. 

Best of luck!

I wish I had known this before my interview! These tips are fantastic! 

They totally caught me off guard when they asked if I had any questions...and it’s been stressing me out a bit since. Oh well.

On 2/23/2018 at 7:01 PM, Samye23 said:

Just got accepted into my PhD program with funding! Yay!! I am eagerly awaiting my Fulbright notification so I send them my final decision...what are y'all's other options if the Fulbright results don't turn out as we are hoping it will?

I've also been accepted into a couple of PhD programs with fundings, so yay here too! If you get the Fulbright, do you plan to defer your enrollment in the PhD program or would you just reapply next cycle?

Hi everyone! This is my 4th year applying for a UK Fulbright Award (Univ of Reading). Last year I got selected as an Alternate, so I'm praying this year I get the Award! I have my interview on the 28th and I'm more nervous than last year, if that's possible. Have any other UK applicants had their interviews yet? Any advice? Best of luck to you all! 

23 hours ago, mostlyrainy said:

I wish I had known this before my interview! These tips are fantastic! 

They totally caught me off guard when they asked if I had any questions...and it’s been stressing me out a bit since. Oh well.

Since I've had lots of interviews for various opportunities, I expected to be asked if I had any questions. I made sure to learn as much as possible about the country and current situations and asked a question that reflected this knowledge. I also asked another question where I was able to switch roles and made the panel feel as though they were being interviewed as well. Surprisingly, they expressed that they appreciated this very much so we'll see what happens.   

I hope it all goes well for both you and I in the end. *Fingers Crossed*

Edited by Maverick_88

57 minutes ago, Maverick_88 said:

Since I've had lots of interviews for various opportunities, I expected to be asked if I had any questions. I made sure to learn as much as possible about the country and current situations and asked a question that reflected this knowledge. I also asked another question where I was able to switch roles and made the panel feel as though they were being interviewed as well. Surprisingly, they expressed that they appreciated this very much so we'll see what happens.   

I hope it all goes well for both you and I in the end. *Fingers Crossed*

Hey Maverick, I interviewed for Luxembourg yesterday as well! (ETA Program, however.) Will you also hear of the results in the next week or two? That's what the panel told me, and I'm so grateful to know that there's an end in sight for the waiting game. Best of luck! 

9 minutes ago, wu_tay said:

Hey Maverick, I interviewed for Luxembourg yesterday as well! (ETA Program, however.) Will you also hear of the results in the next week or two? That's what the panel told me, and I'm so grateful to know that there's an end in sight for the waiting game. Best of luck! 

It's nice to see another Luxembourg applicant here. And yes, I was told within the next two weeks. Best of luck to you as well. 

17 hours ago, Monsieur Vénus said:

I've also been accepted into a couple of PhD programs with fundings, so yay here too! If you get the Fulbright, do you plan to defer your enrollment in the PhD program or would you just reapply next cycle?

I am going to defer...I have unofficially heard that I'll likely be able to keep my funding if I defer (aka my boss asked and implied they said yes) so that's pretty awesome. I only applied for one school (since I knew I wanted to go there and work with one person in particular - my mentor for my masters) so if they say no then I'll look at applying again next year. The only downside to that is that my GRE scores expire this year... :( 

Congrats on getting into multiple programs with funding! Are you going to ask to see which will let you defer, or do you think you'll just re-apply?

10 hours ago, medievalist86 said:

Hi everyone! This is my 4th year applying for a UK Fulbright Award (Univ of Reading). Last year I got selected as an Alternate, so I'm praying this year I get the Award! I have my interview on the 28th and I'm more nervous than last year, if that's possible. Have any other UK applicants had their interviews yet? Any advice? Best of luck to you all! 

On 2/26/2018 at 9:59 AM, Maverick_88 said:

Hey everyone, 

Best of luck!

Be confident! As someone who has interviewed people for jobs, I like to see that the interviewee is confident in their skill set, knowledge, work ethic, and topic of interest. Display the passion you have for the research you are doing. Elaborate as to why you would make an ideal international exchange candidate for them (what do you bring that others don't?) and for the Fulbright program. If they mention your past applications, be able to explain how you have changed your research to be more tailored toward their country/university or be able to defend why it hasn't changed and is still worthy of funding. ALWAYS have questions for them at the end of an interview, even if it is something basic.  

@Maverick_88 had great suggestions, look at those. :) Good luck!

@poindexter @ceterisparibus9

Semi-finalist to the Netherlands as well. I found a spreadsheet the other day, looks like notifications could come as early as next week, probably Friday. However, I would wager we hear back on Friday, March 16th. The latest I saw as a notification was mid-April, but that was several years ago. In the past few years it's been around mid-March. It's going to be tough to make it this far and hear a rejection, but I am ready to know either way. Best of luck to you two.

@Spike_Junkie congrats on the semi-finalist status! agree that we'll likely hear back by the 16th based on prior notifications. are you an open study or a partner institution applicant (or prefer not to share)? thankfully work is wildly busy, so between that and digging up other funding options i'm not checking my email or this forum as obsessively as i probably would otherwise. 

good luck to you as well!

Longtime lurker, semi-finalist for country in Central Asia, had my interview last week and felt decent about it! It's my second time applying and I was an alternate last time, so I'm really hoping to get it! Sending lots of good wishes to everyone applying, hopefully they're punctual with their notifications.

Hey all,

I'm wondering if anyone has ever received a Study/Research Grant for Germany? I'm a semi-finalist and while I'm wondering when final notifications have typically gone out in the past (I've heard March 24th was last year's), I'm also wondering what amount the grant usually is? My host city will be Munich. The living costs there are pretty steep compared to other parts of Germany, and finding affordable housing isn't easy. 

Thanks all =) and good luck to everyone!