Fulbright 2018-2019

AnnMarie

On 1/29/2018 at 10:54 AM, cafelove said:

I'm pretty sure they do? I'm meeting with my professor ( a former Fulbrighter) later this afternoon to ask questions about the different city/region requests. According to her they will contact us soon to make sure we want to keep the 3 regions we listed on the TAPIF applications. I'll try to pick her brain about the next steps as much as possible and let you all know! 

Hi @whale_shark @Monsieur Vénus and @cafelove - I am also a semi-finalist for ETA in France! For TAPIF I believe I put Strasbourg as my #1 and cannot remember the others. I was too focused on actually getting the application completed and forgot to save a copy of it for myself. In any case- best of luck to you all! I'm not very familiar with grad cafe yet so i'm not even sure if this is the correct way to reply. Have any of you studied French/in France or have traveled there? If so, where? Just curious :) 

56 minutes ago, French_Wannabe said:

Hi @whale_shark @Monsieur Vénus and @cafelove - I am also a semi-finalist for ETA in France! For TAPIF I believe I put Strasbourg as my #1 and cannot remember the others. I was too focused on actually getting the application completed and forgot to save a copy of it for myself. In any case- best of luck to you all! I'm not very familiar with grad cafe yet so i'm not even sure if this is the correct way to reply. Have any of you studied French/in France or have traveled there? If so, where? Just curious :) 

Hi @French_Wannabe congratulations and welcome to Grad Cafe! Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to visit France, but I've been studying French for a long time and am majoring in it for my undergraduate degree!

8 minutes ago, Monsieur Vénus said:

Hi @French_Wannabe congratulations and welcome to Grad Cafe! Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to visit France, but I've been studying French for a long time and am majoring in it for my undergraduate degree!

@whale_shark That's fantastic! I have a BA in French and loved every minute of it. I didn't study French until college and it has served me well so far. I actually double majored in French and Art History and UNC Wilmington and am currently in the home stretch of my MA in Art History at Mizzou. I've been there twice now (once to study for a summer session in Marseille), and it's a great country. French will take you very far - despite what others might think! Let me know if you have any questions (not that I claim to know everything, just from experience with my BA)!

36 minutes ago, mostlyrainy said:

I was contacted by the UK Fulbright office. Where are you finding this information about when interviews are being conducted?

Thanks for letting me know. I am a Penn State alumna but decided to apply At-Large. I called Penn State's Fellowship office and they have information on all of the countries (i.e., when they send out interview notifications etc.).

OK, I know this may sound insane to get into this level of scrutiny (typical Fulbrighter behavior, I'm told)...but what do we think it means if you received your semi-finalist acceptance email on the earlier end rather than the later end (6:00 vs 6:30pm EST)? Given that this year rejections were sent out first, I'm concerned the earlier recommendations might be scored lower by the NSC than the later ones. 

What do you all think?

I know this is absurd, and that I should just wait to find out until March when notifications typically go out, but I'm going nuts wanting the whole process to simply be decided!

3 minutes ago, ellevine said:

OK, I know this may sound insane to get into this level of scrutiny (typical Fulbrighter behavior, I'm told)...but what do we think it means if you received your semi-finalist acceptance email on the earlier end rather than the later end (6:00 vs 6:30pm EST)? Given that this year rejections were sent out first, I'm concerned the earlier recommendations might be scored lower by the NSC than the later ones. 

What do you all think?

I know this is absurd, and that I should just wait to find out until March when notifications typically go out, but I'm going nuts wanting the whole process to simply be decided!

It's possible that it's based on University, location or even alphabetically (these are all guesses)! I doubt that has anything to do with your ranking overall. 

Has everyone from the US gotten their emails? Curious if the spreadsheet is incomplete because people didn't fill out their status or if some people really haven't heard. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Cd86U9AreH9k_-WKLKnLCLn_C5MC3FKvZZ9RhlqSAq4/edit#gid=1535702113

Also: anyone else applying for renewable energy/sustainability work? I'm a little worried that the FFSB will look unkindly on renewables, given that it's a presidentially-appointed board. That said I looked into a few of the members and none of them strike me as overt climate deniers, so that's good.

18 hours ago, anthropomorphic said:

Has anyone else accepted a job offer already?  I signed a letter of agreement thinking I'd be rejected, but I was selected as a semi-finalist for Taiwan.  I don't know if I should give them a heads-up now that I might have to defer or if that's premature.

I told my employer that I was nominated as a semifinalist and that decisions don't come out until spring, and he said that he would contact HR and get back to me. Definitely give a heads-up, sooner is better than later! 

27 minutes ago, punintended said:

I told my employer that I was nominated as a semifinalist and that decisions don't come out until spring, and he said that he would contact HR and get back to me. Definitely give a heads-up, sooner is better than later! 

I think it depends on the job. Personally, I would not tell my employer until I knew I received the award.

3 hours ago, French_Wannabe said:

Hi @French_Wannabe ! Congrats on being a semi-finalist! 

Yes, I studied in Paris my sophomore year (I'm undergrad) for a semester! I'm an education major, so I could only do the few months, otherwise, I would have done the full year! It's such an amazing country, and I hope to live there and teach in an international school one day. 

Does anyone know how Fulbright will look at a class I had to drop last semester? It was not in my unofficial transcripts I submitted but it will be in my official ones that’s i am sending over there. Also on my transcripts it shows up that I am a Permanent Resident, when since getting to my university I have undergone naturalization and became a US Citizen. SHould I make sure this is change day in my transcripts before sending?

Hi guys! Just opened this today because I still haven't received anything! I applied to be an ETA in Turkey, and looking at the Google Doc it doesn't look like anyone has gotten anything for Turkey... I hope this doesn't have something to do with the precarious political situation and the Visa spat earlier this year, or perhaps the government shutdown (it could also be the fact that a forum isn't exactly an accurate way to track data xD)... Has anyone else applied to go to Turkey?

2 hours ago, imagata said:

Does anyone know how Fulbright will look at a class I had to drop last semester? It was not in my unofficial transcripts I submitted but it will be in my official ones that’s i am sending over there. Also on my transcripts it shows up that I am a Permanent Resident, when since getting to my university I have undergone naturalization and became a US Citizen. SHould I make sure this is change day in my transcripts before sending?

You should be fine. I don't think they don't really care about classes you drop as long as it doesn't change your graduation date. As for the permanent resident classification, I believe as long as you have proof of citizenship you should be fine. I know they asked me to send a copy of my passport. If you have undergone recent naturalization, I would start the application for a US passport ASAP if you haven't done so already/have it. 

I think we've found ourselves here for a reason, @MeltaMarky and @erein42, I also applied for an ETA to Turkey and just saw the spreadsheet about thirty ago - which makes me hopeful that none of the Turkey notifications have gone out yet. Radio silence here. I've been checking all day. I checked junk mail as well. Let's keep one another updated, yeah?

Edited by AMill

What are people doing about applying for jobs, etc., while we wait for final notification? I’m a college senior, semifinalist for Study/Research in Nicaragua. The grant period starts in July and I graduate late May. I don’t want to assume I’ll get the grant and lose out on job opportunities while waiting possibly until May for notification, especially since I’m applying to do a literature project which seems pretty far-fetched (but, you know, they did recommend me - wasn’t sure I’d get this far!). On the other hand, I don’t want to sign a contract or anything knowing I might be leaving soon after starting. What are you all doing?

7 hours ago, rosalyn said:

What are people doing about applying for jobs, etc., while we wait for final notification? I’m a college senior, semifinalist for Study/Research in Nicaragua. The grant period starts in July and I graduate late May. I don’t want to assume I’ll get the grant and lose out on job opportunities while waiting possibly until May for notification, especially since I’m applying to do a literature project which seems pretty far-fetched (but, you know, they did recommend me - wasn’t sure I’d get this far!). On the other hand, I don’t want to sign a contract or anything knowing I might be leaving soon after starting. What are you all doing?

I would suggest keep doing things and planning for job applications with little consideration to the grant at this point. There are 1.5x-2x the amount of applicants that are in the same semi-finalist pool as you so things are still up in the air at this point. The ETAs in my country said they had already applied for jobs and admitted to grad schools before they knew about their finalist status and some were able to defer. I think in the end, it is better to have options on what to do next. The only thing I would avoid is signing a rental lease of some form because that happened to one of the last year applicants in my cohort. She got the grant for Ireland and had to continue paying her rent during her Fulbright since Ireland took forever to disclose final notifications. 

13 hours ago, ibette said:

You should be fine. I don't think they don't really care about classes you drop as long as it doesn't change your graduation date. As for the permanent resident classification, I believe as long as you have proof of citizenship you should be fine. I know they asked me to send a copy of my passport. If you have undergone recent naturalization, I would start the application for a US passport ASAP if you haven't done so already/have it. 

This is great to hear! I do already have my passport and everything, the only place it says anything about my permanent residency is my transcripts because I have not told the university.