Fulbright 2018-2019

AnnMarie

Hi Everyone,

I am a first time Fulbright applicant.  Luckily, I am currently a semi-finalist for research in Greece.  I see others mentioning interviews, but I haven't received any emails other than the semi-finalist status.  Anyone have any experience with the Greek Fulbright committee?  This is nerve-racking, especially as I am currently working on proposals for Fulbright-Hays, Title VIII, and Mershon International Securities, just in case the IIE doesn't come through.  And, good luck to all the semi-finalist out there!

1 hour ago, Chris K said:

Hi Everyone,

I am a first time Fulbright applicant.  Luckily, I am currently a semi-finalist for research in Greece.  I see others mentioning interviews, but I haven't received any emails other than the semi-finalist status.  Anyone have any experience with the Greek Fulbright committee?  This is nerve-racking, especially as I am currently working on proposals for Fulbright-Hays, Title VIII, and Mershon International Securities, just in case the IIE doesn't come through.  And, good luck to all the semi-finalist out there!

It really depends on the country, at least from all the Western Hemisphere Research Applicants I have talked to, they never had any sorts of interviews for their Research Grants. 

Hi everyone! 

I wanted to come in and share a quick thing for those who will receive the Research Grant next cycle. It seems like Fulbright provides "Research Enhancement Seminars" every year in a specific world region. This year it was in my region (Western Hemisphere). They e-mailed 5-6 countries Fulbright commissions for a call of research papers and if you happen to submit your current project and get accepted, ECA flies you to the host country to present your current paper/project and get peer-critique from fellow Fulbrighters from the region as well as an expert in the field. It seems like a mini-conference to help publish your Fulbright work and network. Given that, our Fulbright commission notified us in November about this opportunity and Jan 15 they gave us the paper submission guidelines which was due on Feb 1st. I just wanted to share this in case some of you are interested and happen to be in next years region of choice for the enhancement seminar (and you can start preparing your timelines).  Seminars are usually in the 7-8th month of the grant. It caught a lot of us off guard and some people had already made prior commitments so I wanted to share this in case you want to keep a look out for next year's seminar. 

On 2/5/2018 at 10:05 PM, snickerdoodle148 said:

Does anybody know for ETAs when they'd let you know your city placement? Is that at the same time as finalist notification or they 1. Notify finalists, 2. Then you accept/reject, 3. Then they decide and tell you cities?

It depends entirely on your country because every country has a different process for school placements. In some countries the schools are actually heavily involved in deciding who their candidate will be and in others the schools just get whoever is sent their way. If you have an interview, they will probably share this information with you about their process (or you can always ask).

On 2/6/2018 at 12:05 AM, snickerdoodle148 said:

Does anybody know for ETAs when they'd let you know your city placement? Is that at the same time as finalist notification or they 1. Notify finalists, 2. Then you accept/reject, 3. Then they decide and tell you cities?

I'm currently on a Fulbright in Kenya, but I'm research not ETA. However, I remember last year all the ETAs got their assignments at the PDO in July, so that would certainly be after you have accepted. 

I just had my Fulbright Skype interview and was caught way off guard because I DID THE TIME CONVERSION WRONG I AM AN IDIOT. Hopefully it still all went well but I've never been more nervous because it was so sudden. I wasn't even wearing business clothes--when they called, I immediately grabbed the first semi-nice shirt I saw and threw it on. 

Hi guys! 

I finally decided to make an account to update myself on fulbright status, after months of suffering by myself lol. I applied for Thailand ETA, and I have not heard anything from Fulbright. I checked the google doc and it seems like no one applied for ETA in Thailand actually responded. I thought to myself maybe the program was cancelled? But if that were the case, they would have notified the applicants about the situation right? I am literally a nervous wreck on this side so pls any tips or news would really help. :o:(

On 1/31/2018 at 8:45 PM, MeltaMarky said:

I still have yet to hear anything regarding Turkey. I sent them an email tonight, hopefully something will come back this week. Wishing all my possible Turkish compatriots the best of luck! Inshallah we'll see each other one day! Keep you posted ;)

Have you (or @erein42 or @AMill) heard anything yet? My advisor said I should have gotten a notification by now, but I haven't seen anything. I emailed IIE last night to see if they'll re-send the notification email if it was already sent out. 

13 hours ago, rinlin said:

Hi guys! 

I finally decided to make an account to update myself on fulbright status, after months of suffering by myself lol. I applied for Thailand ETA, and I have not heard anything from Fulbright. I checked the google doc and it seems like no one applied for ETA in Thailand actually responded. I thought to myself maybe the program was cancelled? But if that were the case, they would have notified the applicants about the situation right? I am literally a nervous wreck on this side so pls any tips or news would really help. :o:(

Contact IE, I know they had some e-mail issues with semi-finalist notifications. 

Hey! Semi-finalist for Australia on here and I noticed on the Google Doc spreadsheet for Fulbright 2018-19, there's also another semifinalist. If anyone knows, have the interview dates been passed out? 

Also, in case anyone hasn't put their application statuses on there or seen the document, here is a link to the Google Doc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Cd86U9AreH9k_-WKLKnLCLn_C5MC3FKvZZ9RhlqSAq4/edit#gid=1535702113

14 hours ago, erein42 said:

@ginahyena1 I haven’t heard anything from them. If you hear something, let me know!

Hi @erein42! My FPA emailed me on Feb. 14 asking if I had heard from Fulbright - I hadn't. So, she got in touch with them and apparently they had sent out a notification, but I never received it - not even in spam. My FPA told me to email FBstudent@iie.org. They responded the next day and said they re-sent the notification, but I still didn't get it. I ended up having to give them another email address and then it worked. 

You should email them right away because if you're a semi-finalist, you're supposed to have your official transcripts sent to them by tomorrow, Feb. 20. I'm sure they're going to be lenient, especially with the Turkey ETA applicants since we found out later AND there are some email issues. I mean, if they sent out the notifications and neither of us got them, it can't just be us....

Good luck!! 

15 hours ago, ginahyena1 said:

Hi @erein42! My FPA emailed me on Feb. 14 asking if I had heard from Fulbright - I hadn't. So, she got in touch with them and apparently they had sent out a notification, but I never received it - not even in spam. My FPA told me to email FBstudent@iie.org. They responded the next day and said they re-sent the notification, but I still didn't get it. I ended up having to give them another email address and then it worked. 

You should email them right away because if you're a semi-finalist, you're supposed to have your official transcripts sent to them by tomorrow, Feb. 20. I'm sure they're going to be lenient, especially with the Turkey ETA applicants since we found out later AND there are some email issues. I mean, if they sent out the notifications and neither of us got them, it can't just be us....

Good luck!! 

I emailed them earlier and still no response but I’m hopeful!

On 2/19/2018 at 5:40 AM, ginahyena1 said:

Good luck!! 

So Turkey isn't canceled @ginahyena1?

On 2/10/2018 at 7:02 AM, Chris K said:

Hi Everyone,

Hey Chris!

I am also a semi-finalist for research in Greece! This is a late response, but just so you know I did not have an interview. My FPA was asking around for information in interviews and couldn’t find anything, so she told me to email Greece. I did, and this was their response:

Greetings from Fulbright Greece.  The selection of the US Fulbright ETA Students has an interview component for all applicants that make it to final round.  There is always the possibility of an interview with the finalists of the US Fulbright Student research program as well, but mainly when we need clarifications about your project and/or affiliations in Greece.  In any event, if such a need arises we will inform you and provide best times/dates to discuss.”

What research topic and affiliation did apply with? I’ll be working at the Univeristy of Athens on a geology project.

Good luck to you!!

Hi all!

I had my transcripts physically mailed (since my college does not offer "official" electronic transcripts), and I was freaking out a little bit since I haven't received notification by either Fulbright or my home institution's transcript tracking service that my documents reached their destination. As you all (hopefully) know, today (Feb. 20th) was the deadline for Fulbright to receive transcripts. I called this morning, and the woman who answered looked up my name and let me know that while my transcript hasn't been processed yet, "there is no reason to worry," and that a potential holdup with transcript processing/receiving is not cause for disqualification. She said they have received thousands of documents, and they they are definitely bogged down. Just thought I'd share for those who sent out physical transcripts as well!

Best of luck to everyone! 

On 2/9/2018 at 3:47 PM, deeperblue said:

@Rachel patteson No, I am a first-time applicant. I was looking through this spreadsheet, which has some historical information. Definitely share your confusion, though!

I am also applying for a "study" grant - I applied for an MSc in Transport and City Planning.

Any update on the UK-UCL interview? I'm guessing at this point, if we haven't gotten an interview notification, there won't be an interview. 

On 2/19/2018 at 9:13 PM, erein42 said:

I emailed them earlier and still no response but I’m hopeful!

Hi @erein42! Email your FPA if you haven't already - he/she should be able to help you get in touch with someone at IIE (plus, FPAs also get notified about who was/wasn't recommended, but I'm not sure if they're able to give out that information before you receive your notification email).

16 hours ago, heretofulbright said:

So Turkey isn't canceled @ginahyena1?

Hi @heretofulbright! At this point, the Turkey program isn't cancelled, but I think last year (or the year before last) it was cancelled as late as July. So, whether it actually runs or not might just be a day-by-day kind of situation.