MFA 2018 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

yuv.sees

I'm taking the liberty to put forth my MFA dilemma here.

I want to do an MFA in Photography.
My preferences lean towards documentary photography, landscapes and capturing cultures and people’s ways of life.

I'm wondering which colleges in USA would be a good fit for the above leanings.

Inputs please?

You can find my work on Instagram: yuv.sees

Edited by yuv.sees

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey there! Really happy to see this thread so early! Painting major here. Still narrowing down my list of schools but currently looking at:

UB - SUNY (Top Choice), UC Davis, University of New Mexico, UW and possibly Rutgers.

Hope to hear from other people starting this process soon!

Find me on Insta @M.J.White

On 5/10/2017 at 9:52 AM, yuv.sees said:

I'm taking the liberty to put forth my MFA dilemma here.

I want to do an MFA in Photography.
My preferences lean towards documentary photography, landscapes and capturing cultures and people’s ways of life.

I'm wondering which colleges in USA would be a good fit for the above leanings.

Inputs please?

You can find my work on Instagram: yuv.sees

I just had a friend finish his MFA at Arizona State University from their photo department.. Heard they give pretty good funding and his work sounds similar to yours.

Check out their website and his insta: @BuzzySullivan

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My freak out for applying for a MFA happened in 1996...but finally preschool is over with, am I right?

Sculpture/ Painting / Installation here, applying to the following and more:

1. Pratt Institute
  2. UCLA- DM
  3. University of Oregon- Eugene / Portland State University
  4. Hunter College 

Anyone have experience with these schools? Most MFA applications aren't due until Jan. 1, so I guess we all have a little bit of time left, huh?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Background education:

Associate in photography

BFA in studio art, specialized in painting, took metal smithing and ceramics as well.

Worked as a professional photographer for 20 years before returning to Rowan University to get my BFA.

How would a MFA benefit me?

Intense focus on my work

Access gallery and professional networking

Teaching opportunities at Universities

I applied to for fall 2017: Yale, MICA,Rutgers, Tyler, Delaware, U Penn, and PAFA

3 of them offered me a Post-baccalaureate, I worked with local artists and on my art over the last year instead. The Post-baccalaureate tuition equals one year in an MFA program but is not credited towards an MFA nor will it guaranty to get into an MFA program. 

MFA Painting, studio practice , my work is representational paintings oil on canvas and I am researching programs which compliments my interests. 

Fall 2018 MFA Programs I consider so far

Rutgers

University of Delaware

PAFA

16sm_DandelionSeeds.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I'm currently pursuing an MFA in India. I'm in my first year but really really really keen to study in the States, not art schools but universities that offer interdisciplinary MFA programs because I hold a bachelors in liberal arts. Was thinking of applying to UPenn and Cornell. any suggestions?

• 2 months later...
On 9/1/2017 at 5:53 PM, haunted cornfield said:

My freak out for applying for a MFA happened in 1996...but finally preschool is over with, am I right?

Sculpture/ Painting / Installation here, applying to the following and more:

1. Pratt Institute
  2. UCLA- DM
  3. University of Oregon- Eugene / Portland State University
  4. Hunter College 

Anyone have experience with these schools? Most MFA applications aren't due until Jan. 1, so I guess we all have a little bit of time left, huh?

Thanks.

Yes,  I got into Portland state 2 years ago. Great faculty. The funding was not where I needed it to be though as living in Portland has gotten to be more expensive every year. Its a great program. I hope you can swing it!