Doctoral Gowns

prolixity

I've gotta decide something, and since the two schools I've whittled it down to are offering the same stipend, the same degree, and about the same level of prestige.. well, I need a way to figure out where to go. Unfortunately the professors with whom I'll be working tend to collaborate, so I'll be doing the same work at both universities and will probably spend a certain amount of time at both, no matter where I choose to study...

But I've figured out a way:

Which doctoral gown is more bad-ass?

301px-Harvard_Doc.jpg

or

Stanford-gown-large.jpg

What's wrong with you people? Am I the only person with the requisite amount of refinement and taste to realize the former is far superior to the latter?

Does no one care about tradition anymore? Are you all so fixated with some flash-in-the-pan craze that you'll want to wear some cheesy tri-tone robe that i) looks like it's made out of the same material as CVS halloween costumes and ii) apparently doesn't even have a cowl ?

Allow me to be the voice of reason and say #1 is by far the more handsome garment...

Full disclosure: The first one is from what's pretty much my hometown school, so... congratulations on both!

What's wrong with you people? Am I the only person with the requisite amount of refinement and taste to realize the former is far superior to the latter?

Does no one care about tradition anymore?

I prefer #1 too. And btw, anxiousapplicant, it doesn't look 1970's-ish: it looks 1770's-ish. Which is why I love it so; I'm an old-fashioned kind of gal.

I prefer #1 too. And btw, anxiousapplicant, it doesn't look 1970's-ish: it looks 1770's-ish. Which is why I love it so; I'm an old-fashioned kind of gal.

Actually, it looks 1370's-ish :)

Any scholars of medieval costume on these forums want to give a more specific date range? ;)

People...... people. Number two is superior not because of Harry Potter, or because it looks less dated, but because it makes you look like your arms are actually on fire. I mean, have some standards!

This line of reasoning almost convinced me... until I realized it still lacks a hood. I mean, what kind of person has arms on fire, doesn't have a head surrounded with flames? I mean seriously, think about it for a second, it just doesn't make sense.

Edited by jacib

Two because you get really big sleeves

BUT!! Do some research into the politics of the school, make sure there is no talk of any uprising! I mean, what if yo pin your hopes and dreams on that beautiful gown and then the school changes to something completely non-bad ass? Oh, wait, I think you should negotiate and ask for a clause in your contract that allows you to transfer to the other school if the first school goes with a different look.

But seriously! Let's talk about the important qualifiers.

Which one is closer to a beach?