Boston & Cambridge, MA

Anyone have recommendations for rental agencies in JP (particularly), Brookline, Allston, Brighton or Newton?

We need to move at short notice :(

For JP in particular only the expensive stuff uses rental agencies. Most of the landlords are locals who grew up in the buildings they are renting, so they use Craigslist or signs to avoid agents fees.

Hey folks. A buddy and I will be heading to this area in the Fall, and we'd like to room together. Thing is, he got into Tufts while I got into Brandeis. It looks like we'll be on two different ends of town. Neither of us will have cars, and I'm happy to take public transit out to campus. I see that the T runs straight to Brandeis, so that's convenient.

Anywho, can you guys think of any areas that have good access to transit routes to both campuses? I think he's leaning toward Cambridge, Somerville, and Medford itself. I'm definitely leaning away from Waltham. Maybe Porter?

I suspect that you will need to share a house with others to make those area's affordable, unless you two want to get super cozy in a studio. I think anywhere on the red line would be fine for both of you. How about Savin Hill or somewhere else in Dorchester? Is there any reason your friend would prefer north of the river other than proximity?

Hey folks. A buddy and I will be heading to this area in the Fall, and we'd like to room together. Thing is, he got into Tufts while I got into Brandeis. It looks like we'll be on two different ends of town. Neither of us will have cars, and I'm happy to take public transit out to campus. I see that the T runs straight to Brandeis, so that's convenient.

Anywho, can you guys think of any areas that have good access to transit routes to both campuses? I think he's leaning toward Cambridge, Somerville, and Medford itself. I'm definitely leaning away from Waltham. Maybe Porter?

I would focus your search in Somerville somewhere around Davis and Porter, basically the region bounded by Teele Square, Winter Hill, Porter, and Union Square. Tons of Tufts and Brandeis grad students live in those neighborhoods. You'll be in walking distance from the Porter commuter rail (can maybe take the T one stop from Davis or a bus to shorten that up) and he'll be in walking/biking distance of the Tufts campus (with the option to partially cut that down on a gross day by taking a bus).

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the input guys. He's flown out there and is looking now. And it turns out he's going to bring his car, so public transport to/from Tufts is not an issue. Just a not-horrible commute. He's coming from Los Angeles, so "not horrible" relative to that is a low bar to beat.

• 2 weeks later...

*GRE in Boston*

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here so please forgive if I'm asking in the totally wrong forum.

It would appear that there is considerable variance in the quality of GRE test centers.  A friend of my told me she took the test twice, one place had no dividers between cubicles, was loud, and dirty.  Another had noise-cancelling headphones.

Does anyone happen to know whether there are places in Cambridge/Boston to avoid?  Has anyone had particularly good or bad experiences?

Thanks everyone  :)

*GRE in Boston*

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here so please forgive if I'm asking in the totally wrong forum.

It would appear that there is considerable variance in the quality of GRE test centers.  A friend of my told me she took the test twice, one place had no dividers between cubicles, was loud, and dirty.  Another had noise-cancelling headphones.

Does anyone happen to know whether there are places in Cambridge/Boston to avoid?  Has anyone had particularly good or bad experiences?

I've taken tests at 2 centers in the greater Boston area.  I took the GRE a few years back (senior year of college) at a Prometrics center in Lexington.  It seemed pretty standard, they had headphones, dividers, nice enough staff; no issues at all that I was aware of.  I later retook the GRE (and took another test a year or so before for something else) at the Prometrics office in South Boston, just on the other side of the river from South Station.  There, also didn't have any issues.  They had headphones, dividers and all, staff was not as nice and they seemed to take all the procedures and whatnot more seriously, annoying as that is. There's one other place to take the GRE in the area that I know of, on Comm Ave by BU, but I avoided that one to stay off the Green Line and away from all the BU kids. No idea what that one's like.

Hope that helped.

I've taken tests at 2 centers in the greater Boston area.  I took the GRE a few years back (senior year of college) at a Prometrics center in Lexington.  It seemed pretty standard, they had headphones, dividers, nice enough staff; no issues at all that I was aware of.  I later retook the GRE (and took another test a year or so before for something else) at the Prometrics office in South Boston, just on the other side of the river from South Station.  There, also didn't have any issues.  They had headphones, dividers and all, staff was not as nice and they seemed to take all the procedures and whatnot more seriously, annoying as that is. There's one other place to take the GRE in the area that I know of, on Comm Ave by BU, but I avoided that one to stay off the Green Line and away from all the BU kids. No idea what that one's like.

Hope that helped.

I took my GRE at the Comm Ave place. No problems.

*GRE in Boston*

Hi everyone,

When I lived in Cambridge, I took the test at the Commonwealth center- I thought it was very nice and I didn't have any issues at all!

• 4 weeks later...

I have scoured these posts and done in-text searches and have found very little concerning commuting from Haverhill Ma. Its 40 miles north of The Fenway but I understand that can translate into well over an hour if there is traffic.  I will be going to Simmons twice a week and don't know which is better;  driving or the commuter rail/ Green Line. I am from the West Coast and am a novice to driving in the snow (it frightens me actually)  and am very new to Boston. My classes start at 8 AM on Wednesday and I will be out by 3 PM. They start at 11 AM on Friday and I should be out by 6. Any opinions or suggestions? Thank you in advance. 

I have scoured these posts and done in-text searches and have found very little concerning commuting from Haverhill Ma. Its 40 miles north of The Fenway but I understand that can translate into well over an hour if there is traffic.  I will be going to Simmons twice a week and don't know which is better;  driving or the commuter rail/ Green Line. I am from the West Coast and am a novice to driving in the snow (it frightens me actually)  and am very new to Boston. My classes start at 8 AM on Wednesday and I will be out by 3 PM. They start at 11 AM on Friday and I should be out by 6. Any opinions or suggestions? Thank you in advance. 

Going by the information that you have provided (you are new to the city and a nervous nelly about driving in the snow), I would recommend selecting public transport.

As for living in Haverhill and commuting into Boston, it would work for two days out of the week, but you should know what you are getting into: a lengthy commute.  

A lengthy commute of which may get drawn out, due to unforeseen delays. To get a sense of the quirks when riding the MBTA, read "The T" on Universal Hub (website). 

If I were you, I would find a copy of the commuter rail schedule for Haverhill, use MBTA's tools online to see how long the trip is from North Station to Simmons (MFA Boston's station?), and look if you can comfortably make your classes. As Haverhill is at the end of the rail line, I would also look into your monthly expenses.

I regularly use commuter rail to the north of Boston, and it is pretty reliable. I've never been more than 5 minutes late to North Station or the far end (I go to Rowley, zone 7). It takes about an hour on the dot, regardless of weather. Haverhill is a bit further out (zone 10?) but only three more stops on a parallel line, so I'd gues not much longer, and the schedules are very reliable. And definitely get a rail commuter pass!

I regularly use commuter rail to the north of Boston, and it is pretty reliable. I've never been more than 5 minutes late to North Station or the far end (I go to Rowley, zone 7). It takes about an hour on the dot, regardless of weather. Haverhill is a bit further out (zone 10?) but only three more stops on a parallel line, so I'd gues not much longer, and the schedules are very reliable. And definitely get a rail commuter pass!

I would term this highly unusual.

In other news, this exists: http://howfuckedisthet.com/

I would agree. 

Not long ago, some people in my profession (who are employed in Haverhill), have said that commuting between Haverhill and Boston doesn't really work well. 

And like the link that Telkanuru shares -- you'll find that T can be enough to wrangle with!

Edited by ArtHistoryandMuseum

In other news, this exists: http://howfuckedisthet.com/

I would agree. 

Not long ago, some people in my profession (who are employed in Haverhill), have said that commuting between Haverhill and Boston doesn't really work well. 

And like the link that Telkanuru shares -- you'll find that T can be enough to wrangle with!

What exactly do you guys think is unusual about this? The commuter rail is not the T, and I've found it to have consistent, timely service. I live in Boston, but take the train North a few days a week, several times a year for work. Since this is in the opposite direction of the regular commute I have, if anything, a more constrained set of departure times but even then I find the roughly hourly trains to be plenty frequent. Do either of you have any experience otherwise that you'd care to share, or basis for thinking that my experience is anything besides normal?

TLC is not asking whether s/he should commute from Haverhill, but how. And as s/he correctly pointed out, the trip is more than an hour by car if there is any traffic at all. Taking a train means you have to stick with its schedule, and as you both point out the T can certainly complicate things  (however howfuckedistheT doesn't provide any useful info on the E line). But the train is clearly the better choice here given the constraints on issue as posed: 2 days a week (not a daily commute) for a specific class schedule (ie unlikely to be working extended or odd hours where the train schedule could be a real problem), uncomfortable with driving in Boston weather. Commuter bus services like Greyhound or P&B might be another alternative with extended hours of operation, but are unlikely to be cost competitive or any more frequent during commuting hours.

What exactly do you guys think is unusual about this? The commuter rail is not the T, and I've found it to have consistent, timely service. I live in Boston, but take the train North a few days a week, several times a year for work. Since this is in the opposite direction of the regular commute I have, if anything, a more constrained set of departure times but even then I find the roughly hourly trains to be plenty frequent. Do either of you have any experience otherwise that you'd care to share, or basis for thinking that my experience is anything besides normal?

TLC is not asking whether s/he should commute from Haverhill, but how. And as s/he correctly pointed out, the trip is more than an hour by car if there is any traffic at all. Taking a train means you have to stick with its schedule, and as you both point out the T can certainly complicate things  (however howfuckedistheT doesn't provide any useful info on the E line). But the train is clearly the better choice here given the constraints on issue as posed: 2 days a week (not a daily commute) for a specific class schedule (ie unlikely to be working extended or odd hours where the train schedule could be a real problem), uncomfortable with driving in Boston weather. Commuter bus services like Greyhound or P&B might be another alternative with extended hours of operation, but are unlikely to be cost competitive or any more frequent during commuting hours.

I don't disagree with much that you say, and obviously given the necessity of commuting from Haverhill, the T is the best option, both in terms of cost and duration of travel.

However, the implication (or outright statement?) that the Commuter rail (which is a part of the T) is rarely delayed or late is, in my experience of 28 years living in this fine city, a claim that has absolutely no basis in anything which could be vaguely construed as reality. For example, just last month, when temperatures hit the 90s, train service on many commuter rail tracks was restricted to ~20mph resulting in multi-hour delays on all lines. Because it was hot. Not even unseasonably hot. Just hot. In my experience, about 25% of commuter rail trains are at least 10-15 min late, and that at least once a month you will experience delays in excess of an hour. My brother-in-law, who lives and commutes from Beverly daily to a job at Copley, confirms this experience. On top of this, the green line is the worst of all possible T lines, and the E line is the most neglected and least frequent of the green line trains. 

I understand individual circumstances and preferences are unique, but I would rather live with the rats in a dumpster in Allston than make that commute.

So I have a question about parking...

I'm moving to Brighton this Saturday. I've recently been informed that I will need a residential parking permit to park in Brighton outside of my house. To obtain this permit, I need to have Massachusetts registration and insurance. Unfortunately, because I am moving in over the weekend, all RMVs are closed (and Monday is a holiday.) On Tuesday classes begin and I have meetings, orientation and class from 11am until 6:30pm. Thus, I don't think I will be able to get my registration and make it over to City Hall for my permit until Wednesday. 

I called City Hall and explained my situation but they were unable to provide me with a temporary permit. The school I am attending can provide parking for me from 8pm on Saturday night until 8pm on Tuesday night. 

Has anyone else here dealt with this change of registration coming from out of state? Did you move on a weekend? Is there anywhere I can park Saturday afternoon so that I won't get ticketed? My other dilemma is finding a place to park on Tuesday night until I can make it to the RMV and City Hall on Wednesday after class. Any suggestions?

Also, will I need a Massachusetts license or just a MA license plates? I've been told mixed things by different people at the RMV.

Thank you so much for ANY advice/tips you can give!

So I have a question about parking...

I'm moving to Brighton this Saturday. I've recently been informed that I will need a residential parking permit to park in Brighton outside of my house. To obtain this permit, I need to have Massachusetts registration and insurance. Unfortunately, because I am moving in over the weekend, all RMVs are closed (and Monday is a holiday.) On Tuesday classes begin and I have meetings, orientation and class from 11am until 6:30pm. Thus, I don't think I will be able to get my registration and make it over to City Hall for my permit until Wednesday. 

I called City Hall and explained my situation but they were unable to provide me with a temporary permit. The school I am attending can provide parking for me from 8pm on Saturday night until 8pm on Tuesday night. 

Has anyone else here dealt with this change of registration coming from out of state? Did you move on a weekend? Is there anywhere I can park Saturday afternoon so that I won't get ticketed? My other dilemma is finding a place to park on Tuesday night until I can make it to the RMV and City Hall on Wednesday after class. Any suggestions?

Also, will I need a Massachusetts license or just a MA license plates? I've been told mixed things by different people at the RMV.

Thank you so much for ANY advice/tips you can give!

I've never had to park a car in Boston overnight, but I believe that a few T, and commuter rail, stations have both day and overnight parking.

For proximity to Brighton, for overnight parking, I suspect that the Woodland T Station in Newton may be your closest bet.

In any case, if you are in a jam, check out MBTA's site for which stations do overnight parking, and also for daytime parking.

I *think* that this can be a temporary solution for you. Anyone else have thoughts on this as a possibility? 

As for your car questions, did you investigate this website, "Welcome to Massachusetts"?

Edited by ArtHistoryandMuseum

I've never had to park a car in Boston overnight, but I believe that a few T, and commuter rail, stations have both day and overnight parking.

For proximity to Brighton, for overnight parking, I suspect that the Woodland T Station in Newton may be your closest bet.

In any case, if you are in a jam, check out MBTA's site for which stations do overnight parking, and also for daytime parking.

I *think* that this can be a temporary solution for you. Anyone else have thoughts on this as a possibility? 

As for your car questions, did you investigate this website, "Welcome to Massachusetts"?

There is also scattered, occasional, and highly contested nonresidential parking in the area.

Thank you so much for these replies. Also, thanks for the website link! I hadn't seen it before. I guess while I'm at the RMV I should pick up one of those liquor permits. Not to sound like a raging alcoholic or anything...but I can see myself becoming seriously annoyed if I'm not allowed into a bar with a valid out-of-state license! 

I like the idea of parking my car overnight at a T station. I kept trying to explain to the woman at city hall that I was trying my best do park legally (I'm pursuing a degree in ethics, after all!) but she kept telling me that my best bet would be to park illegally and hope I could fight off tickets  :blink: ....it seemed like a strange solution to me.

Thanks again! 

my best bet would be to park illegally and hope I could fight off tickets  :blink: ....it seemed like a strange solution to me.

Indeed, strange! Unless...that someone may be at the receiving end of parking ticket fees?   <_<

Well, anyway, you may also be interested to read what the City of Boston is advising this weekend about  traffic and parking.

Finally, GOOD LUCK! 

There is also scattered, occasional, and highly contested nonresidential parking in the area.

:lol:

Though, to be serious, it really depends what bit of Brighton you are in. There's a fair amount in the little triangle between Sutherland, Comm and Chestnut Hill Ave - I used to live there and we could usually get a spot when needed (though often only after circling for 10 plus minutes). Beyond Sutherland to the east it is almost nonexistent. I don't know about Brighton Centre as I've never needed to park there.

Edited by wreckofthehope

• 3 weeks later...