Boston & Cambridge, MA

Hi,

Unfortunately I can't think of many areas that are both nice and within that price range that are within 40 minutes of Boston. If you wanted to rent an apartment you could look at Somerville; I know some people who have had luck renting pretty nice apartments there. But I can't imagine there are too many decent houses in the area of under $250,000, although I've never looked to do anything but rent so I could be wrong.

I agree with this post. I don't think a house in your budget exists where you need one to be. Newton and the surrounding areas tend to be extremely expensive. But Somerville is a great place to live if you find an apartment there!

Hi, everyone. I was just accepted into the M.A. program in Mental Health Counseling at Boston College, and I'm trying to figure out what my living options are. My fiance and I were hoping to buy a house wherever we decided to move, but obviously there are not many options for buying a house near Boston.everything is very expensive, and crowded. Can anyone suggest a town/city near Boston College where the possibility of finding a house might be better? OR, where we could find a nice (affordable) apartment. We were really looking forward to buying a house and having a place of our own for the first time, our budget is about 250,000, but it seems like everything near Boston within that price range is kinda horrible. We're willing to be a max of 40 minutes away.

Thanks!

As others have said, you're not going to find a place in or around Boston in your budget. Housing in Boston is obscene, and there are very few single-family homes around. If you are absolutely convinced you want to buy, you might look at condos, but they're still likely going to be significantly above your budget. Honestly, Boston is not a place you buy property unless you're a landlord or wealthy; most everyone, especially students, rent.

Despite what others have said here, I think with some hunting, you can probably pick up a decent/needs fixin' 2BR condo in Watertown or Camberville for your budget. You might also check Needham. Avoid proximity to the Red Line of the T if you want to avoid serious sticker-shock.

Edited by telkanuru

Despite what others have said here, I think with some hunting, you can probably pick up a decent/needs fixin' 2BR condo in Watertown or Camberville for your budget. You might also check Needham. Avoid proximity to the Red Line of the T if you want to avoid serious sticker-shock.

Absolutely. I think things in your price range also exist within Boston city limits. I bought a condo for (significantly) less than that in JP in 2013, and it was one of six or seven I looked at around the city all under $250k. Probably half were fixer-uppers, and all but one were liveable as is (ie any projects to improve value or make things more comfortable could have waited 6 months or more). My personal experience was that the mortgage on any of these places was about two-thirds what I would otherwise pay in rent for a one or two bedroom apartment shared with my partner.

As telknuru pointed out, there are other nearby towns and cities more convenient to BC, so you aren't (necessarily) locked into the most expensive markets--if you mean within 40 minutes of BC as I think you do (rather than Boston), then you could live out in the sticks and buy a house at that price.

Edited by Usmivka

On 2/6/2015 at 11:49 PM, Usmivka said:

if you mean within 40 minutes of BC as I think you do (rather than Boston), then you could live out in the sticks and buy a house at that price.

Parking @ BC isn't that great though, so keep that in mind. It's a bit of a balancing act - rents drop as you move away from T lines, but you need the T line to keep your commute possible.

Also, what I pay for a 450sq ft. apt. 2 miles away from a T in Somerville would probably be about the equivalent of the monthly payments on a 250-300k mortgage.

Edited by telkanuru

I was just accepted to an MA program at Brandeis. It is designed to take a year but I can go part time and I am pretty sure I can receive funding (merit based and need based) for two years. For me this would be ideal because I am a single mom (something I left out of all of my grad apps). What are the best neighborhoods as far as price and schools go? Also, can anyone speak to the jobs on campus. I currently work at my universities writing center and my acceptance email said that many grad students work on campus either at the writing center or in other positions. Are they highly competitive? Do they pay well? If I attend Brandeis I know I will need to take out loans but would like to keep them as low as possible. 

On 2/18/2015 at 11:39 AM, giggitygirlworld said:

Holy cow, I've never seen such high housing prices. Is it even possible to survive on a stipend of ~30,000 a year?

I've been living and working in Boston/Cambridge for two and a half years with my partner (currently a grad student at another school in Boston).  When we first relocated from the midwest, we moved into a 1 br apartment in Brighton for $1400/mo (which rose to 1475 a year later).  After getting a little sick of having to take the green line to work/school every day (typically a 45 minute commute from where we were living...sometimes as much as an hour), we ended up moving to Cambridge where we pay $1600 for a 2br (shortening both of our commutes considerably).  Both units were below market because we were willing to compromise with regards to amenities (no in unit laundry, utilities are extra) and we were very aggressive during the house-hunt (e.g. making sure that we were the first to see units as they were listed on MLS, contacting property owners directly where possible, etc.).  Splitting costs pretty much equally between the two of us, we're able to live comfortably in a walkable, friendly, safe neighborhood while managing to save money for retirement, travel home for holidays, and sometimes eat out.

So, to answer your question more directly, it's definitely possible to survive, even thrive in Boston/Cambridge while not making a ton of money.  I can't speak to whether or not living alone on a single stipend would be doable (probably not super comfortably without finding a GREAT deal on a studio/efficiency or living in a dorm), but I know of people who definitely do it.

I was accepted to Brandeis but would like to live in the city and commute. However, my situation is a bit different than most because I am a single mom. Does anyone have any suggestions for an affordable, yet young and active area of Boston (or its suburbs) with good schools? 

I've been living and working in Boston/Cambridge for two and a half years with my partner (currently a grad student at another school in Boston).  When we first relocated from the midwest, we moved into a 1 br apartment in Brighton for $1400/mo (which rose to 1475 a year later).  After getting a little sick of having to take the green line to work/school every day (typically a 45 minute commute from where we were living...sometimes as much as an hour), we ended up moving to Cambridge where we pay $1600 for a 2br (shortening both of our commutes considerably).  Both units were below market because we were willing to compromise with regards to amenities (no in unit laundry, utilities are extra) and we were very aggressive during the house-hunt (e.g. making sure that we were the first to see units as they were listed on MLS, contacting property owners directly where possible, etc.).  Splitting costs pretty much equally between the two of us, we're able to live comfortably in a walkable, friendly, safe neighborhood while managing to save money for retirement, travel home for holidays, and sometimes eat out.

So, to answer your question more directly, it's definitely possible to survive, even thrive in Boston/Cambridge while not making a ton of money.  I can't speak to whether or not living alone on a single stipend would be doable (probably not super comfortably without finding a GREAT deal on a studio/efficiency or living in a dorm), but I know of people who definitely do it.

I was so hoping to live alone, but it just doesn't seem feasible. I can't live in a dorm either because I have a Jack Russell. I can't leave my dog behind. Looks like I'll need a roommate or 2.

It's a bitch. Expect to spend half to two thirds of your stipend on rent, even with a roommate.

How expensive is food compared to other big East Coast cities?

Soooooo, anyone looking for a roommate in the Boston/Cambridge area next fall?

I was so hoping to live alone, but it just doesn't seem feasible. I can't live in a dorm either because I have a Jack Russell. I can't leave my dog behind. Looks like I'll need a roommate or 2.

If you're willing to broaden your horizons a bit and live someplace a little more distant from your program, there are still deals to be found.  East Boston, Revere, Chelsea, Malden, Quincy, and some of the other surrounding communities have real estate markets that are a little more sane (although not too much more sane these days).  The commute will be a little worse (especially during historically bad winters like this one) and you risk being a little isolated from your classmates, but it can be worth it for some.  If you have a chance to come out here before you have to move, you may want to take a look at some of these other communities to get a feel for what you'd be comfortable with.

How expensive is food compared to other big East Coast cities?

Groceries are certainly on the pricier end compared to the midwest (where I grew up), but they're at least comparable to other east coast communities.  According to the CNN Cost of Living Calculator (not the best source I know, but it was the quickest way to get some quantifiable estimates), compared to Boston, groceries cost:

New York, NY (Manhattan): 19% More (than Boston)

New York, NY (Brooklyn): 12% More

Providence, RI: 6% Less

New Haven, CT: 7% More

Philadelphia, PA: 0% More/Less

Washington, D.C.: 4% More

There is of course variability within Boston, including which neighborhoods you shop in and what stores you patronize.  It seems like there are Whole Foods and Star/Shaw's Markets on just about every other block, but neither of them are particularly affordable.  If you or a friend owns a car in the city, it can be worth it to drive to Market Basket or Wegman's. 

Soooooo, anyone looking for a roommate in the Boston/Cambridge area next fall?

On the bright side, a lot of people will be in your position and will be looking for roommates.  Outside of craigslist, your university may provide resources to connect people who are also looking for roommates.  Harvard has the HUH RoommateClick service as an example.

Holy cow, I've never seen such high housing prices. Is it even possible to survive on a stipend of ~30,000 a year?

Same here. I am headed to Tufts in the fall and I have already conceded that if I want anything under 1000 a month I am going to have to have multiple roomates. Now I have no idea how I am going to find multiple roomates since I live half a country away, but I guess I'll find out.

If you're willing to broaden your horizons a bit and live someplace a little more distant from your program, there are still deals to be found.  East Boston, Revere, Chelsea, Malden, Quincy, and some of the other surrounding communities have real estate markets that are a little more sane (although not too much more sane these days).  The commute will be a little worse (especially during historically bad winters like this one) and you risk being a little isolated from your classmates, but it can be worth it for some.  If you have a chance to come out here before you have to move, you may want to take a look at some of these other communities to get a feel for what you'd be comfortable with.

^This

There are advantages and disadvantages either way, of course. For me, the costs of living farther out are worth it to be in a place I really love and can afford. Commuting is a drag sometimes, but at the end of the day I'm home and so glad to be there. I'd way rather that than a short walk to a home that feels "meh" and is outrageously overpriced to boot (everything in this area is overpriced, but the less popular/student-filled areas are correspondingly less overpriced).

To those who feel the same, I'd add these towns to the ones CarloGesualdo mentioned: Arlington (can be as high as Cambridge/Somerville, but there are more/better deals if you stay on the lookout for them), Medford, Waltham, Belmont (another town that can be as much -- or more -- as Cambridge etc., but has some better deals if you are vigilant about checking listings), and Watertown. 

Most important factor, I've found, is being really aggressive when looking. Check the listings constantly and call right away when you see something promising. You've got 100s of thousands of students and young professionals all looking for those few nice-place-at-a-decent-price offerings that are scattered amongst the many rip-offs -- in this market, he who hesitates is lost! (I don't mean you should necessarily sign on the dotted line for the first decent option you see, it depends. Just know that if you don't, someone else will, so if you do feel good about a place it's best to act as quickly as possible). 

Also, to save you the sticker shock now, most places will require 1st, last, and a security deposit (1 month's rent). Many others will have an agent fee in addition (1 month's rent).

For those keeping score at home, that's 4 months rent up front just to move in.

Also, to save you the sticker shock now, most places will require 1st, last, and a security deposit (1 month's rent). Many others will have an agent fee in addition (1 month's rent).

For those keeping score at home, that's 4 months rent up front just to move in.

To be fair, most realtors and landlords know that is a lot of money up-front so they will spread out those costs over several months. We've never had a landlord actually require fee, deposit, 1st, and last all at the same time. Just ask when you are looking! Most will say that 1 months rent will take the listing off and then they set up a schedule that works for both parties.

To be fair, most realtors and landlords know that is a lot of money up-front so they will spread out those costs over several months. We've never had a landlord actually require fee, deposit, 1st, and last all at the same time. Just ask when you are looking! Most will say that 1 months rent will take the listing off and then they set up a schedule that works for both parties.

Maybe you've had different luck than I or most of my friends have had, but I know of almost no one who hasn't been expected to pay that all upfront.

Maybe you've had different luck than I or most of my friends have had, but I know of almost no one who hasn't been expected to pay that all upfront.

Idem.

Having rented two different places now, I've had two different experiences.  The first time we rented from private owners and only paid first and last month's rent (no security, no finders fee).  However, they ended up being crazy people so we had to GTFO and then moved to a place in Cambridge which was First/Last/Security/Fee to move in.  Based on my really anecdotal evidence, I'd say that it can definitely happen either way and that it's a prudent thing to ask the landlord about when you're searching for a place to live.

I got admission into Northeastern University with $30000 stipend. I am an international student. Therefore, I need to know about some places outside boston from where the public transportation to reach the university will be easier and housing cost is lower than Boston. Can you give me an idea about the average monthly cost in that area?

Edited by niketon

I lived in Brighton three years ago with a yearly salary of less than half that amount.  Still managed to purchase micro/craft beer every night and hang out at a local bar. 

It really helped that I got rid of my car when I moved to Boston, lived in an apartment that had heat included in the rent, and did not have cable TV.  I did live with a roommate, though, too. 

Just a heads up:  if you know you will be attending school in September, you need to find and secure a place by May/June.  Also don't be surprised if your landlord requires a co-signer no matter how old you are or how much money you make.  

How long a commute would you be looking for?

I am looking for areas from where i can reach the university within 45 mins to 1 hr by public transport. I also need to know the problem during winter season. Is public transport feasible during that time?

I am looking for areas from where i can reach the university within 45 mins to 1 hr by public transport. I also need to know the problem during winter season. Is public transport feasible during that time?

Public transport does not stop, keep in mind that this winter in Boston is an anomaly. 

45 minutes to 1 hour out really depends on what route you will take.  The D line of the Green train can take an hour just to go from Boston College to Boston University because it stops every two feet.  To give you perspective, you can walk that distance within one hour.  Also with the T, and unlike in other cities, they will cram as many people in as possible.  For what ever reason Bostonians cannot be bothered to wait for the next T, even if it right around the corner.  Often times so many people board it overwhelms the train and the train breaks down.  

The Red, Orange, and Blue lines are a heckofalot more efficient than the Green and honestly I would avoid the Green train unless necessary.  There is an Android and iPhone app for the Boston T that shows where the busses are in real time.  However, it will not show where the Green Line trains are, perhaps because the entire Green Line is a POS and should be torn out and replaced with a proper subway. 

Some busses run 24/7, some don't.  You can pretty much get to any point B from any point A via public transportation but some busses are really effin slow.  You will very quickly learn that the busses (much like all of the Green trains) come when they come no matter what the schedule says.  A bus can be twenty minutes late and then three of them will arrive at your stop, one right after the other.  Or you might not see a bus for an hour even though it is scheduled to run by your stop once every 20 minutes.  As I mentioned, there is an app for that.  

Owning a vehicle in Boston is a bad idea.  For one, the roads are, well, a bit discombobulated.  Five-way intersections?  Seven-way intersections?  You bet!  Plus parking is really expensive, if you can find parking.  My apartment wanted to charge $170/month for a spot out back, and parking garages, forget it.  Plus, when it snows, residents shovel out their own spot.  Parking in someone's spot is a very bad idea unless you want a flat tire.

Hey Niketon! So, a couple of us have suggested some additional towns/neighborhoods in earlier posts (see my post Elizabeth Reed's post ).  I also highly recommend this heatmap of Boston's rents to get a general idea of where to start looking for bargains.  As for your question re: commuting time, I have data for you on that front as well! Check out this map of the MBTA rails to get an idea for the amount of time it takes to travel downtown from all of the stops along the T. 

Boston can be a bit of an intimidating place to move to for the reasons outlined exceptionally well by Crucial BBQ (I too lived on the green line...and it damn near drove me insane).  However, it's also a very exciting and fun place to live and work.  If you're not averse to living with a roomie or two, it can be a way to stay closer to campus on a budget. 

Hope this helps a bit!

Edited by CarloGesualdo

Check out this map of the MBTA rails to get an idea for the amount of time it takes to travel downtown from all of the stops along the T. 

The day it takes 40 minutes to get from Riverside to Park St. is the day fluffy bunnies rain from heaven and Christ descends down to earth. And even Jesus himself couldn't get the B line from BC to Park in under an hour.

Edited by telkanuru