Boston & Cambridge, MA

I'm looking for a 1BR in Cambridge <$2,000/month.  From reading this, this seems reasonable?  Moreover, does anyone have experience with getting places that allow pets (as I have a large dog)?

Thus far, I've glanced at craigslist, but it's inundated with brokers and difficult to sort for only Cambridge.  Searching craigslist for Somerville apartments is even worse.  Does anybody know any other useful, Boston-specific search methods?

Edited by EnricoPallazo

I'm looking for a 1BR in Cambridge <$2,000/month.  From reading this, this seems reasonable?  Moreover, does anyone have experience with getting places that allow pets (as I have a large dog)?

Thus far, I've glanced at craigslist, but it's inundated with brokers and difficult to sort for only Cambridge.  Searching craigslist for Somerville apartments is even worse.  Does anybody know any other useful, Boston-specific search methods?

The dog will likely make things much more difficult for you. Try looking for a house/roommates out in Somerville or Medford. Landlords who own a single house or small building will be more flexible than a large management company. That being said, you'll have a hard time finding a place that will take a dog over 50 pounds (15 to 25 pounds tends to be the maximum range). Ideally, the dog will have references from previous landlords. 

The nasty thing about the Boston area is that broker fees are quite common. The fee generally works out to a month or so of rent, which means you can often be paying first, last, security deposit, and broker's fee upfront. To get around the broker's fee, you'll need to contact landlords directly - again, smaller landlords are your bets bet. Ask current students to see if they can provide you with the numbers of some landlords, or if they know of good apartments that are opening up. 

A couple things I'd add here: if you're going to school in Cambridge, make sure you look in Somerville. Also, if you're living in sub-Mass Pike Allston/Brighton, the streets are going to be noisy pretty regardless, but certain renting agencies hate dealing with undergraduates and won't rent to them (like mine). 

Second: get a bike and use it. Biking in a city as packed as Boston can be scary, but there are a LOT of us these days. It's also by far and away the fastest and cheapest mode of transport. I've lived in Allston for 2 years at this point, and I can count on both hands the number of times I've used the T. It's just too much of a hassle for me to bother. 

If anyone is interested in bike commuting and wants to know good routes, don't hesitate to PM me.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a year behind to these posts, but hopefully I can get some help here rather than starting a new topic. I have been accepted to a grad program at Brandeis, but I've never been to Boston so I'm a bit confused about the neighborhoods and such. I won't have a car and will rely on public transportation. I understand that Waltham is nice, but nearly impossible without a car. I've read instead to live in Cambridge, specifically Porter Square or Somerville. Is commuting via public transportation to and from Brandeis to Porter Square/Somerville possible? I know there is a commuter rail, but I want to know if it is actually worth it or considered more of a hassle? Any help, tips or comments about this would be great!! thanks!

I'm currently finishing my undergrad at Brandeis, and I've lived in Waltham (on campus) for most of my time here. I wouldn't say that Waltham is impossible without a car - it really depends on where you live. Although grad students don't live on campus, I know many grad students who live within a 10-20 minute walking distance, and they seem to get along ok without cars. Brandeis has shuttles that run during the day/night, and while I've had some mixed experiences and can't say they're extremely reliable, they can be helpful. The commuter rail is really convenient - it's always on time and has a fairly decent schedule (runs pretty frequently). The only issue with it is that it's expensive. It's about 6 dollars for a one-way trip from Brandeis into North Station (Boston). 

In terms of commuting to/from Brandeis and Porter Square/Somerville, the commuter rail goes directly to Porter Square, so that shouldn't be an issue. Once you're in Porter Square, you can take the red line and fairly easily get to most places in Cambridge. I would check out the commuter rail schedule on the MBTA website (Fitchburg line) so that you can get a sense of what the schedule is like and whether you think it would work for you. 

Let me know if I can provide any more help, and feel free to message me!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I will be going harvard this fall. Can anyone weigh in on the advantages and disadvantages of opting for the GSAS residence halls.

They seems like the only affordable option on my stipend. However, the housing (single small room with shared bathrroms and kitchens) it comes with the condition that one has to enroll in the dudley cafe meal plan @ $2,268 per year (for only 164 meals). The meal plan seems really costly.

Also please suggest any other options. Cronkhite center housing may not be available in time as it closed for maintenance..

Thanks

Really shaken and upset by the Marathon explosions and the gunfire in Cambridge this night... Do things like shooting happen often in the area? I am coming to Harvard this fall after three years in very safe Cambridge, UK. Anything in terms of crime situation there I need to be aware of? Don't want to sound like an alarmist but any advice would be appreciated!

Huge thanks!!  

There's always violence in cities, but never in the Cambridge area. It's much worse in other areas like Dorchester. What's been going on this past week is extremely unusual and not at all common. The media has also been playing up how violent the situation is.

Really shaken and upset by the Marathon explosions and the gunfire in Cambridge this night... Do things like shooting happen often in the area? 

No....

Don't let fear and paranoia get the best of you. This is one of those WFT events that happen every few decades. 

Really shaken and upset by the Marathon explosions and the gunfire in Cambridge this night... Do things like shooting happen often in the area? I am coming to Harvard this fall after three years in very safe Cambridge, UK. Anything in terms of crime situation there I need to be aware of? Don't want to sound like an alarmist but any advice would be appreciated!   Huge thanks!!  
As others have said, this is very unusual for the area. The bombing itself is a freak occurrence, and now it just happens to be mobile (in the form of the suspects running around). If it makes you feel better, think about how the cities/universities responded in terms of security: 1) Watertown and Cambridge sent out robo-calls in the wee hours of the morning to instruct residents to stay at home 2) The governor/mayor shut down the entire transit system 3) Universities closed very quickly and notified students 4) Thousands of police and National Guard were mobilized (to be honest, they've been around since Monday) and are sweeping the areas 5) Even with the shootout, no individuals in the surrounding houses were hurt, and they already have folks on the ground to dismantle any explosive devices left behind. So, freak occurrence, but the cities have responded very thoroughly and quickly to the threats. Compare this to, say, the shooting in NYC last year where the police decided to open fire on a crowded sidewalk and ended up hitting several hapless pedestrians. Although I must say that I'm rather tired of being locked in my apartment. Hopefully this will all be wrapped up in the next few hours.

Really shaken and upset by the Marathon explosions and the gunfire in Cambridge this night... Do things like shooting happen often in the area? I am coming to Harvard this fall after three years in very safe Cambridge, UK. Anything in terms of crime situation there I need to be aware of? Don't want to sound like an alarmist but any advice would be appreciated!

Huge thanks!!  

I'm shaken by the events, too. I have friends who are affected.

Boston and its greater area are like any other city -- you have to be mindful of your surroundings. However, in recent years, I have walked through the currently restricted areas of Watertown, and during nighttime. I do not recall any gun fire or any shootings. While walking through Watertown, I was more spooked by being alone, as it was a little shady (and there weren't a lot of people out at night), but ultimately, I was OK. 

On a day to day basis, I think the overcrowded late night buses running on Mount Auburn are more of a concern...

Anyway, I would sign up for any text/social media alerts from Harvard, and perhaps the surrounding universities, as a precaution when you are here. Last night, MIT did a spectacular job informing people. 

Hi!

I will be going harvard this fall. Can anyone weigh in on the advantages and disadvantages of opting for the GSAS residence halls.

They seems like the only affordable option on my stipend. However, the housing (single small room with shared bathrroms and kitchens) it comes with the condition that one has to enroll in the dudley cafe meal plan @ $2,268 per year (for only 164 meals). The meal plan seems really costly.

Also please suggest any other options. Cronkhite center housing may not be available in time as it closed for maintenance..

Thanks

I would avoid HU housing. It's pretty expensive for what you get, although it is close if that matters. I know for HDS the school has set up resources to help people find off-campus housing and roommates, I assume GSAS has done the same.

Huge thanks!!  

There's really nothing to be worried about, aside from the usual level of alertness you should have in any city. There were a couple muggings last year of people walking alone on back streets at 2am with headphones on, and things like that. 

I've lived in Boston my whole life and have been at Harvard since 2010, so both of you should feel free to PM me.

Huge thanks!!  

I'm not a student in Boston, but I visit yearly, and my sister-in-law lives in Cambridge and attended BU Law. I've never felt worried about my safety while in Boston or Cambridge, and I've walked through the MIT campus in the wee hours of the morning.

As others have said, Boston is generally a safe city. Everything that's been happening this week is a total anomaly, and it has been handled with the utmost care and professionalism by the police and people of Boston and surrounding towns. Don't let it scare you or ruin your grad school plans.

I would avoid HU housing. It's pretty expensive for what you get, although it is close if that matters. I know for HDS the school has set up resources to help people find off-campus housing and roommates, I assume GSAS has done the same.

There's really nothing to be worried about, aside from the usual level of alertness you should have in any city. There were a couple muggings last year of people walking alone on back streets at 2am with headphones on, and things like that. 

I've lived in Boston my whole life and have been at Harvard since 2010, so both of you should feel free to PM me.

thank you telkanuru!

Alianka

We have had a lot of bomb blasts in New Delhi over the past few years. If we get scared and let it affect our lives too much, then the terrorists win.

telkanuru

The housing outside (graduate commons) and the rent ranges discussed throughout this thread seem very high compared to the residence halls.

a room in the residence halls is in the range of $6300-8,000 for the academic year. As low as $700. and yes i would like to be close otherwise there is the danger that i may not make it to the classes/school in winters!

I will PM the rest.

Thanks a lot!!

The recent incidents that occurred in Boston are rare, which is why there was such a frenzy. It's not something we expect and we have been looking forward for things to return to normal. I agree with the posts above, it's a city so there is crime. If you want specifics, you can look at the Cambridge 2012 Crime Report: http://www.cambridgema.gov/cpd/communityresources/crimereports.aspx

Huge thanks!!  

Like others have said, this was a freak occurrence, the likes of which we have really never seen before (in terms of the protracted manhunt, lock-down of a major US city and an insane amount of police and military mobilization.  It was a horrible week for all of us.  I work at MIT and this whole incident really spooked our community.  But both MIT alert system and, well, Twitter really, kept us informed of all of the activities.  Like Biscuits pointed out, the police response to this incident is really without fault.  I am very proud of the way that Boston citizens responded to this with acts of compassion towards each other, as well.

Cambridge and most places in Boston are safe (the worst parts are Dorchester, Quincy, Roxbury and Southie, but Southie is improving).  However, any large city in America is going to contain some sort of small criminal element such that you should not be walking alone on the street late at night anyway.  I would also not advocate walking across MIT's campus in the wee hours of the morning, I have heard more than one bad story begin that way.  

That said, I also work as a waitress in Harvard Square and there are always people around.  I walk to the bus or my car alone late at night all the time and am surrounded by people.  I would say it's an especially safe place to be, as is Cambridge in general.  You can look at crime maps of the area near any US address but beware that they are sort of alarmist.  My old apartment area had a fairly active crime map but was actually really safe.

Does anyone have any thoughts on living in the Watertown area? I found a pretty inexpensive room for rent there but I have no idea what the neighborhoods are like.

What school would you be going to, and how far is the room from Belmont St or Mt Auburn (the bus routes). You'd be dependent on buses a good part of the year, which I personally try to avoid but can be made to work, especially if you're going to Harvard.  I've only spent a little time there, but it's close enough to Harvard that for the most part that will be where you are able to be out and about.  There was also a decent bit of activity on Mt Auburn in the areas that I was looking at, with a number of shops/restaurants and grocery stores as well. I'd always advise being closer to the T though unless you have a car, but you can make it work as long as you're close to the bus.

What school would you be going to, and how far is the room from Belmont St or Mt Auburn (the bus routes). You'd be dependent on buses a good part of the year, which I personally try to avoid but can be made to work, especially if you're going to Harvard.  I've only spent a little time there, but it's close enough to Harvard that for the most part that will be where you are able to be out and about.  There was also a decent bit of activity on Mt Auburn in the areas that I was looking at, with a number of shops/restaurants and grocery stores as well. I'd always advise being closer to the T though unless you have a car, but you can make it work as long as you're close to the bus.

Thanks! It looks like I'm less than half a mile from the 71 stop on Mt. Auburn Street. I will be going to Boston College. I will also have a car (with a parking spot at the house I'm looking at and a parking spot on campus.) How do-able is driving from Watertown to Newton with traffic and all? Would you recommend taking that 71 bus instead? I'm not even sure if the 71 is "the T".

Edited by crackthesky

71 is a bus number (part of MBTA), the T is the subway (also part of the MBTA).

The 71 will run you to Harvard or to Watertown square, where I think there's a bus that'll run you to Newton/Boston College (no 57).

I cannot speak to driving it because I have never driven in Boston. Public transit all the way!

71 is a bus number (part of MBTA), the T is the subway (also part of the MBTA).

The 71 will run you to Harvard or to Watertown square, where I think there's a bus that'll run you to Newton/Boston College (no 57).

I cannot speak to driving it because I have never driven in Boston. Public transit all the way!

Thanks! That transfer might be a pain. Hmmm. I will definitely have to check this out.

The Watertown to Newton commute during rush hour should be fairly irritating due to this one really awful set of interchanges at the Mass Pike. That said, there are ways to get around it (and it's not IMPOSSIBLE, just irritating), so I would look into back routes for rush hour. At off-peak times it's extremely easy. Depending on where you are in Watertown, I'd expect a 15-20 minute drive.

Edited by Switching Geertz

Thanks! It looks like I'm less than half a mile from the 71 stop on Mt. Auburn Street. I will be going to Boston College. I will also have a car (with a parking spot at the house I'm looking at and a parking spot on campus.) How do-able is driving from Watertown to Newton with traffic and all? Would you recommend taking that 71 bus instead? I'm not even sure if the 71 is "the T".

Have you looked into getting parking at BC? It can be pretty tough