Boston & Cambridge, MA

The Watertown to Newton commute during rush hour should be fairly irritating due to this one really awful set of interchanges at the Mass Pike. That said, there are ways to get around it (and it's not IMPOSSIBLE, just irritating), so I would look into back routes for rush hour. At off-peak times it's extremely easy. Depending on where you are in Watertown, I'd expect a 15-20 minute drive.

Thanks! Hopefully all of my classes will be at strange, off times. I haven't registered for anything yet. I might take a class or two over at Harvard, as well...

Have you looked into getting parking at BC? It can be pretty tough

Oh no, really? I talked to a few grads and they mentioned BC parking being very affordable and they all had passes. I didn't know there was any competition! Hmmm.

Thanks! Hopefully all of my classes will be at strange, off times. I haven't registered for anything yet. I might take a class or two over at Harvard, as well...

Oh no, really? I talked to a few grads and they mentioned BC parking being very affordable and they all had passes. I didn't know there was any competition! Hmmm.

Perhaps you're right! My SO went there for undergrad and said he was only able to park because he was taking evening classes, but perhaps he was wrong or things have changed!

Perhaps you're right! My SO went there for undergrad and said he was only able to park because he was taking evening classes, but perhaps he was wrong or things have changed!

Maybe it's different for grad students? Either way, definitely worth looking in to because if you're right, that makes a huge difference as far as housing goes! Thank you for the heads up!

Thanks! It looks like I'm less than half a mile from the 71 stop on Mt. Auburn Street. I will be going to Boston College. I will also have a car (with a parking spot at the house I'm looking at and a parking spot on campus.) How do-able is driving from Watertown to Newton with traffic and all? Would you recommend taking that 71 bus instead? I'm not even sure if the 71 is "the T".

You can also take the 71 to Harvard Square and catch the 86 to BC. Dunno which is faster.

Morning traffic is pretty bad, particularly going N/S since there's not too many bridges (or good routes) over the Charles. I'd say driving ~30min, on the T, ~50-60min.

Were it me, I would not live in Watertown and commute to BC. I'd look at Brighton particularly. Not only does it half your commute, but it makes you much less reliant on the T. The T is slow, keeps a terrible schedule, and is often late. I haven't used it in many years; I prefer to bike in sleet and snow.

Edited by telkanuru

You can also take the 71 to Harvard Square and catch the 86 to BC. Dunno which is faster.

Morning traffic is pretty bad, particularly going N/S since there's not too many bridges (or good routes) over the Charles. I'd say driving ~30min, on the T, ~50-60min.

Were it me, I would not live in Watertown and commute to BC. I'd look at Brighton particularly. Not only does it half your commute, but it makes you much less reliant on the T. The T is slow, keeps a terrible schedule, and is often late. I haven't used it in many years; I prefer to bike in sleet and snow.

I wouldn't recommend any commute where you have to switch to the 86. The 86 on its own is a bit of a nightmare - though doable-(and you'd still have a 20 min shuttle ride or walk to BC from where the 86 lets off), it only comes twice an hour and is often completely off schedule due to rush hour traffic, so making the transfer would probably end up being the biggest pain in the ass. 

Yeah, like tekanuru says, unless you are sure you're going to drive to school (and can park) I wouldn't recommend living in Watertown; Brighton will be MUCH easier. 

Also, the 57 doesn't really go anywhere near BC, unless you are going to the seminary/do something on Brighton campus?

Edited by wreckofthehope

I wouldn't recommend any commute where you have to switch to the 86. The 86 on its own is a bit of a nightmare - though doable-(and you'd still have a 20 min shuttle ride or walk to BC from where the 86 lets off), it only comes twice an hour and is often completely off schedule due to rush hour traffic, so making the transfer would probably end up being the biggest pain in the ass. 

I have little experience in this aspect. The few times I use the T, I try to stick to the underground trains.

Yeah, like tekanuru says, unless you are sure you're going to drive to school (and can park) I wouldn't recommend living in Watertown; Brighton will be MUCH easier. 

Even if you were willing to drive every day, the cost of gas and the cost of rent would probably be equal offsets.

Also, the 57 doesn't really go anywhere near BC, unless you are going to the seminary/do something on Brighton campus?

Eh, you can walk up Lake St., no? I mean, 20mins, but not too terrible?

Eh, you can walk up Lake St., no? I mean, 20mins, but not too terrible?

Yeah, 20mins up Lake street, and another 10 to 15 to get to upper campus, where classes etc are. It would be at least a 30 min walk, in good weather. If you're coming from Brighton, then it's fine...but if you're taking a bus, or even two buses, and then having to walk 30 mins...I don't know, that seems like too much of a bother to me. 

Edited by wreckofthehope

• 2 weeks later...

How is the life in Boston? Specially the entertainment, is it a good place to have fun beside studying ?

I'm comparing between these universities :

Northeastern & Boston (Boston) - Depaul (Chicago) - Colorado (Denver) - Drexel (Pittsburgh)

So, how can you evaluate Boston among these cities ?

Is it safe to bike in Boston/Cambridge/Somerville? I've heard that there are a lot of cyclists, but I've also heard about accidents and incredibly ignorant drivers. I'm worried because I love to bike, and would definitely prefer to bike to school than take the transit (according to Google Maps, it would take 10 minutes to bike from my future apt. to MIT but half an hour by bus). I'll be living in Somerville (near-ish Harvard) and commuting to MIT, so I probably won't have to go into Boston proper. Any thoughts?

Is it safe to bike in Boston/Cambridge/Somerville? I've heard that there are a lot of cyclists, but I've also heard about accidents and incredibly ignorant drivers. I'm worried because I love to bike, and would definitely prefer to bike to school than take the transit (according to Google Maps, it would take 10 minutes to bike from my future apt. to MIT but half an hour by bus). I'll be living in Somerville (near-ish Harvard) and commuting to MIT, so I probably won't have to go into Boston proper. Any thoughts?

I don't bike in Somerville but they are all over the place, much to my annoyance in many cases as they run red lights and dart through pedestrians crossing the streets with a walk signal.  There are some accidents, yes, but for the volume of bikers I'd say really it's a lower number than you'd think.  Cambridge has a few major streets that are high volume bike routes that would funnel you down to MIT. Also, most of the horror stories you hear about bikers in Boston are in Allston or Brighton, primarily involving undergrads who've never biked before and decide rush hour on a busy street is the best time to learn.

I've been biking in the city for 3 years with no problems. I do see a LOT of dumb shit. Running red lights is whatever, but I see people doing it at speed (stupid), on the sidewalk (stupid), and salmoning (wrong way traffic, really stupid). If you're new to biking as a way of commuting, this is not the best place to learn, but it's not impossible. You just have to learn to ride as if neither the drivers nor the pedestrians who like to play in traffic (lots!) see you, because they don't. If you already have some riding experience, you'll be just fine.

Edited by telkanuru

I've never had a problem, personally.  There are bike lanes throughout Cambridge and Somerville, and as long as you stick to those and obey traffic rules, I can't forsee much issue.  Just be careful when there are a lot of cars parked on the side of the street; you don't want to get doored! :P

Cycling in Boston proper, on the other hand, is a pain and a half.

Edited by gellert

Hello everyone, here is a platform that can help students who are enrolled in Boston University, MIT or Harvard. With which he can stay connected with all students who are enrolled in your university, to share with students who are in other U.S. universities and perhaps in the world. On the site for students who are expatriates it is possible to find more easily in Boston & Cambridge. The site is called bigappol.

How is the life in Boston? Specially the entertainment, is it a good place to have fun beside studying ?

I'm comparing between these universities :

Northeastern & Boston (Boston) - Depaul (Chicago) - Colorado (Denver) - Drexel (Pittsburgh)

So, how can you evaluate Boston among these cities ?

First, Drexel is in Philadelphia.

Boston is an amazing city and I love it- one of my favorite places. I lived there for a long time and now I live in Philaelphia. I like Boston better as a city (well, Cambridge most of all) and there are so many things you can do in Boston. It's also well-placed near cities like Portland (Maine), Montreal, Newport, New York, etc., so there are lots of opportunities to drive places and go do different things. However, rent is quite expensive and the cost of living is higher than in Philadelphia. Philadelphia also has a lot of the same opportunities (restaurants, museums, breweries, etc.) and is it a bit more of a "grittier" city. You can find cheap rent in certain areas or more expensive rent in the nicest areas. Honestly, you will enjoy both cities, but they both have a different "feel" to them. If possible, I'd spend a few days in each city and see how you like it.

I've never been to Chicago or Denver, so I can't speak to those cities, although I've heard they are both awesome cities and people love them. But again, very different. I'd say you have all good choices and you should focus more on the school and the students than the city at this point.

I've never been to Chicago or Denver, so I can't speak to those cities, although I've heard they are both awesome cities and people love them. But again, very different. I'd say you have all good choices and you should focus more on the school and the students than the city at this point.

I agree with the above advice: to focus more on the program than the city. As a New Englander who has lived in Colorado, I just wanted to pipe up that Denver is very different than an early American, east coast city like Boston. You'll also be living at 5,280 ft in Denver, which is a moderate adjustment from sea level life. The climates also differ. Boston, for instance, you'll find a chill in the winter, that you don't find so much in a lower humidity area like Colorado. Weather changes rapidly in the west, too.

Sunglasses, sunscreen, and attention to hydration, are musts for Colorado, especially if you do any skiing in the mountains and are out in the bright sunshine. But unless you are hiking and living up in the mountains (over 9,000ft), and you have or are prone to altitude sickness, it's probably nothing you can't handle. It's just... something to be aware of.

Lastly -- one of the issues facing the western states -- like Colorado -- will be water quantity and water quality. A lot of the old mining sites in Colorado have contaminated streams and water supply. Colorado is also very dependent on snowfall for water. (Denver gets it water from the mountains.) So, there are rules for things like water sprinklers for lawns, in Denver proper. I don't say this to scare anyone, but water is definitely an issue to consider if you staying in Colorado, for the long term.

Hi guys,

It's a very helpful thread to new students here. thank you.

I will go to NEU fall 2013 with my wife, and she will attend her program at BU for pursuing

advanced education. Here comes the problem. Where should we choose to live in Boston?

After previewing these discussion above, I plan to find apartment near Brookline, JP, or

Brighton. I intend to find a place which is more convenient for my wife, that is, close to BU is

a preferable place. We might both take T line or bus to school. Please give us some advice.

Thanks for all of your suggestion.

Hi guys,

I will go to NEU fall 2013 with my wife, and she will attend her program at BU for pursuing

advanced education. Here comes the problem. Where should we choose to live in Boston?

After previewing these discussion above, I plan to find apartment near Brookline, JP, or

Brighton. I intend to find a place which is more convenient for my wife, that is, close to BU is

a preferable place. We might both take T line or bus to school. Please give us some advice.

JP  or Mission Hill might work for both of you - somewhere along the Green Line E branch, or near the 39 bus - you'll get the T or walk to NEU, she can do the same to the Back Bay and then bus/shuttle or T it to BU...would not be much extra (maybe 10 minutes from Copley/Back Bay Stations). 

Hi guys,

This question depends on what you will be able to afford - with both of you in school, what would you be able to afford in rent each month?  Brookline and JP are nice, but the former is really expensive, and the latter is getting there (depending on where you are).  Brighton is going to be slightly more affordable than these two, but may be less convenient in terms of getting to school (mostly for you at NEU).

As a couple, you probably don't want to live with roomates and so you'll need some kind of 1BR.  I think you could find a small 1BR in JP nearby Mission Hill  in the 1300-1500 range - this will be pretty small, and won't have a lot of charm.  It will probably be something like a galley kitchen, a living room, bedroom, and small bath.  If you are looking for something a bit larger and nicer, it will run you closer to 1500-1700.  I think these rents would hold similarly for Brighton as well.  Brookline would be more. 

One thing to remember that is nice is that BU has a shuttle that picks up right near the Mass Ave. Stop on the Orange Line, which runs from there to the main campus in a few stops.  I was doing the Orange Line to Back Bay and then switching to Copley, which is a major pain in the neck.  The Green Line is the very worst that Boston has to offer, and the B-line, which is what runs along the BU campus is the worst of the worst.  It is slow, has way too many stops, and seems to be perpetually overcrowded.  10 minutes is a generous estimate, and is true only if everything is running perfectly, which it almost never is.  It typically takes me 15-25 mintes from Copley, which is a bit obscene when you realize how short a distance it is.  The BU Shuttle saved my sanity!

Hi guys,

My partner and I (both students) lived at the north end of JP, 5 min from Mission Hill and the E line terminus for $1300 a month in a large, well maintained 2 bedroom on a dead end next to a park and community gardens.  One bedrooms in the same area were about $1000 as of last year. We now live in a one bedroom condo in the same neighborhood, $1000 a month (mortgage + HOA). If you go into Mission Hill, the prices were similar or lower to what I mention for northern JP as of last year. BU is also easily bikeable from this portion of JP using the bike trail along the Emerald Necklace parks adjacent to Riverway and the Fens. I think either is a good option given where you will be working and since you are older and probably don't want to be living with all the undergrads in Alston and Brighton.

Edited by Usmivka

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have recommendations for rental agencies in JP (particularly), Brookline, Allston, Brighton or Newton?

We need to move at short notice :(

Are you in proximity to Boston? Someone that I know from the museum field found housing in Boston by walking around.

Not to say you shouldn't look into rental agencies, as that might be your very best bet, but there was a success story of finding a great place, just by being there. I don't think my friends would have found this place otherwise.

Something to consider.

I appreciate all valuable suggestions, wreckofthehope, AbrsaxEos and Usmivka. It's great to get such useful information from you.

My wife will go to BU this summer and she will live at dorm fisrtly. She can walk around during the weekends and will be familiar with livings in Boston. Then we will discuss together for the exact place for rental this fall. Thank you guys again.

Hey folks. A buddy and I will be heading to this area in the Fall, and we'd like to room together. Thing is, he got into Tufts while I got into Brandeis. It looks like we'll be on two different ends of town. Neither of us will have cars, and I'm happy to take public transit out to campus. I see that the T runs straight to Brandeis, so that's convenient.

Anywho, can you guys think of any areas that have good access to transit routes to both campuses? I think he's leaning toward Cambridge, Somerville, and Medford itself. I'm definitely leaning away from Waltham. Maybe Porter?

Hey folks. A buddy and I will be heading to this area in the Fall, and we'd like to room together. Thing is, he got into Tufts while I got into Brandeis. It looks like we'll be on two different ends of town. Neither of us will have cars, and I'm happy to take public transit out to campus. I see that the T runs straight to Brandeis, so that's convenient.

Anywho, can you guys think of any areas that have good access to transit routes to both campuses? I think he's leaning toward Cambridge, Somerville, and Medford itself. I'm definitely leaning away from Waltham. Maybe Porter?

It's definitely possible to commute from the Porter area to Brandeis every day; I went there for undergrad and a lot of the grad students and faculty were in Cambridge.  Being close to Tufts will be more of an issue though, as that's a good half hour walk from Porter, if not more. There are bus routes that work to get there though as well.  

You're going to have big trouble finding a 2-bedroom apartment in the area that's anywhere close to affordable.  The majority of leases start on 9/1, and everyone tries to find a new lease as quickly as they can. The supply is already pretty low and costs are outrageous, and worst for 2-bedrooms, as there are just so few.  You'll probably have to pay a realtor's fee equal to a full month's rent, and be prepared to front up to 4 months rent total (1st, last, security and fee).  It's an awful, awful rental market.