How to Communicate a School is Your First Choice

Bayesian1701

Question

I am planning on applying to 8-10 Statistics Ph.D. programs, but one school is definitely my first choice. I am trying to keep this question pretty general because I am sure that other people are in a similar situation.  The program has everything I want: research in my specific field (applied Bayesian statistics), great funding, departmental focus on Ph.D. program, ideal funding, weather, you name it.  It's a program that I have a fairly good shot at getting into, but there is still a chance I will get rejected.  I want to make sure the admission committee at this school understands that I really want to go there.  I also can easily travel for a visit when ever I want.  I am thinking about applying in September/October (the deadline is December) and also making a visit in the fall to attempt to show my strong interest.  I also want to mention that the program is my first choice in my SOP.  I am worried that I will come off either as desperate or as a brown noser that probably told every other school they were her first choice. I am also worried that I may not get the best funding package (tuition waivers and a stipend of $23k are standard with this program but there are enhancements) because I gave the impression that I would attend no matter what they gave me.   How do I effectively show interest in a program and up my chances of an admittance and a good funding package? Will an early visit in the fall and mentioning that this program is my first choice help or hurt me?

5 answers to this question

There's no reason to apply early, just FYI. All of the applications will be reviewed at one time, after the deadline, and I can't imagine anyone even bothering to look at when an application was submitted. I'm also not sure I'd visit as an applicant and not as an admitted student, even if it is easy for you. Maybe if you do visit you could schedule your visit to coincide with a colloquium, special invited guest speaker, or some other departmental event so that it's clear why you're there.

FWIW, you can just write tweak your SOP with one sentence/phrase. After pointing out why this program is a perfect fit for you and your interests, you could add something like "For these reasons, X is my top choice for graduate studies". 

On 7/16/2017 at 8:25 AM, rising_star said:

FWIW, you can just write tweak your SOP with one sentence/phrase. After pointing out why this program is a perfect fit for you and your interests, you could add something like "For these reasons, X is my top choice for graduate studies". 

To take R_S's guidance a step further, do what you can to tweak your SOP so that it also communicates that you are as great fit for the program as much as the program is a perfect fit for you.

On 7/15/2017 at 8:39 PM, BrittanyA1701 said:

I am worried that I will come off either as desperate or as a brown noser that probably told every other school they were her first choice.

If you want something, please go and get it. Those who would belittle you are likely not the ones making the decisions--if they are, your first choice isn't worthy of your time.

On 7/16/2017 at 11:25 AM, rising_star said:

There's no reason to apply early, just FYI. All of the applications will be reviewed at one time, after the deadline, and I can't imagine anyone even bothering to look at when an application was submitted. I'm also not sure I'd visit as an applicant and not as an admitted student, even if it is easy for you. Maybe if you do visit you could schedule your visit to coincide with a colloquium, special invited guest speaker, or some other departmental event so that it's clear why you're there.

THANK YOU!! I was also wondering this!

On 7/16/2017 at 11:25 AM, rising_star said:

There's no reason to apply early, just FYI. All of the applications will be reviewed at one time, after the deadline, and I can't imagine anyone even bothering to look at when an application was submitted.

There is only one reason to apply early, and that would be if the program has some sort of rolling admissions policy. This is more likely to happen when applying for professional master's programs rather than academic ones.

6 hours ago, avflinsch said:

There is only one reason to apply early, and that would be if the program has some sort of rolling admissions policy. This is more likely to happen when applying for professional master's programs rather than academic ones.

True. My response above was geared toward the OP here, who is applying to PhD programs in statistics.