I just don't know anymore guys.

I have applied for the last 3 years and continue to be rejected.. IT SUCKS. I have a low GPA (2.86) took 4 post bacc classes did well, post bacc gpa is 3.6. I did ok on my GRES but am retaking to get in the 50th percentile. I have worked as an SLP-A for 2 years.. WHAT DO I DO? HOW CAN I GET IN? can anyone recommend schools that do not only look at numbers/ have a GPA/GRE cutoff?! please anything helps. I honestly don't know what else I can do! I basically missed my last year during undergrad due to sickness but there is nothing I can do :( I AM SO STRESSED OUT PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME! advice would be awesome

Is there anything you can do to make your applications more personal? Can you email professors and express interest in their work, specifically? Have you met with deans? It sounds like the numbers are not necessarily working in your favor, so go for the personal element. Meet people in the field and make an impression. Make sure your letters of recommendation are strong, too. What does your personal statement look like? Have you addressed your low GPA in your personal statement?

Just ideas -- I would also study for the GRE and retake it. Consider programs with more relaxed GPA/GRE cutoffs. In the end, we are all SLPs, and its been my experience that people don't really care where you got your degree once you're in the workforce. Best of luck! 

5 hours ago, slpaneedzhelp said:

I have applied for the last 3 years and continue to be rejected.. IT SUCKS. I have a low GPA (2.86) took 4 post bacc classes did well, post bacc gpa is 3.6. I did ok on my GRES but am retaking to get in the 50th percentile. I have worked as an SLP-A for 2 years.. WHAT DO I DO? HOW CAN I GET IN? can anyone recommend schools that do not only look at numbers/ have a GPA/GRE cutoff?! please anything helps. I honestly don't know what else I can do! I basically missed my last year during undergrad due to sickness but there is nothing I can do :( I AM SO STRESSED OUT PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME! advice would be awesome

Have you looked at master's programs and tried to find one that was a little more relaxed on admissions? I don't know your field at all, but felt I did not have enough oomph to my CV to get into a PhD program from my UG, so got a masters. My grades were great and my GRE scores were good. I had never presented at a major conference, so I felt there were things I needed to do. It was good for me academically, as well.

1 hour ago, cowgirlsdontcry said:

Have you looked at master's programs and tried to find one that was a little more relaxed on admissions? I don't know your field at all, but felt I did not have enough oomph to my CV to get into a PhD program from my UG, so got a masters. My grades were great and my GRE scores were good. I had never presented at a major conference, so I felt there were things I needed to do. It was good for me academically, as well.

Firstly, I'm glad to hear you are doing well academically! But speech-language pathology is quite a different field from yours. While some people do pursue a PhD in speech-language pathology, most posters here (including the OP) are talking about pursuing their master's unless they have specified otherwise. A master's degree in speech-language pathology is necessary to become a licensed speech-language pathologist. Getting into a master's program is extremely competitive because of this, and can actually be seen as more competitive than the PhD level because there are just so many students and even a lot of career changers fighting for limited spots. If the poster wants to now pursue a master's in a less competitive field and think about a different career, I agree that that could potentially be a good idea; however, if he or she wants to become a speech-language pathologist, the only way is to pursue a master's in speech-language pathology, which is the current dilemma. 

@slpaneedzhelp Have you had other experiences besides being an SLPA? Are you applying to a variety of programs? Are you applying to the same programs every year? If you are applying to the same programs, you can ask for feedback on how you can strengthen your application. I also notice you're from CA (like me!) and I know basically all the CA programs are super competitive. If you have not already done so, apply outside of the state. There are a lot of great threads here discussing programs that are more relaxed with GPA/GRE. 

On 7/25/2017 at 2:55 PM, slpaneedzhelp said:

In addition to what the other posters have said (which I am glad they mentioned because I was literally going to type the same exact things they said, so I don't have to write as much now lol).. Have you ever gotten any interviews for the schools you applied to in the last 3 years? If so, how did they go? Are you a strong interviewer or does that aspect need improvement? Has anyone looked over your statement of purpose? If you haven't done so already, try going to the writing center at the college you last attended and also ask professors in the SLP field to look it over and give their thoughts on how you could possibly improve it. I think a total of 5 or 6 people looked over my personal statements for each school. Oh and have you used the same personal statements each time you've applied or did you alter them each cycle you applied? I'd be happy to look it over for you if you would like. I had sub-par stats as well but my personal statement along with my interviews and recommendations got me accepted to two schools

Hi. I am going to be honest with you, you are going to have a difficult time getting accepted based on your GPA alone. While in general 3.6 is strong, in this competitive field it's not that strong, especially coupled with your very low undergraduate gpa. It also sounds like the GRE has been difficult for you. So, I have heard triumphant stories about people who apply and apply and after 3-5 time are accepted, so it's possible, but takes a lot of time and money. So I'm being honest in case you have another interest or field you'd like to pursue that isn't as competitive at the moment. Not telling you to give-up, just want to level with you so you don't have false hopes. 

However, if you are adamant about becoming a SLP, and have the time and means to wait it out, here are some ideas:

1) Take more post-bac courses but aim for closer to a 4.0

2)  Cast a wide net of schools you apply to the have stats closer to yours (however even schools that accept lower stats may still be challenging as all schools have a larger pool of students to select from then spots, but there is always a chance with the waitlist)

3) See if you can enroll as a non-matriculated student, get good grades, and transition to a Masters or matriculated student

4) Ensure other areas of your application are strong, polished, and present you as a strong candidate who, despite a less the stellar performance on/in X area, has turned it around or grown from those experiences (& provide examples). Have people read and provide constructive feedback on your statement of purpose and edit and refine your resume.

It's unfortunate that the competitiveness of this field has made it a numbers game. I've seen many, many people who would make great SLPs stopped due to the competitiveness (either because of their stats or just becoming jaded by this part of the profession), so don't think for a minute you 'can't' do it, but be realistic with where you see yourself in a few years and what path will best get you there.

On 7/25/2017 at 2:55 PM, slpaneedzhelp said:

Hi there! First of all, I am sorry to hear about your struggles. I know it can be a difficult field to get in to because of how competitive it is. There are so many people entering with ridiculous GPA's that it really depends on who you are applying with and competing for a spot with. I too have been an SLPA for quite a few years now and although that will assist you once you are in grad school, getting there may be difficult unfortunately. I don't know if this is for all schools, but I do know that the majority do not take your post-bacc classes in to your GPA account UNLESS they are part of a degree program. My suggestion would be to try to get in to a second degree program. The University of South Florida has one online where you get a Bachelors of Science degree in CSD, and it is very good. Since you have taken some classes already, maybe they will transfer over? Florida International University does not look at GRE scores, but GPA may be difficult. If you are bilingual you have a better chance of getting accepted quite honestly since it is a bilingual program. Aside from that, it will be difficult to get an acceptance with a 2.86. I would seriously consider looking at a second degree. It is one thing they do not tell you with those bridge programs is that when applying for your masters in SLP, majority (if not all) do not consider that as a GPA. I know a lot of people that took classes to boost GPA, but because it was not a degree it did not matter in the long run. It is very unfortunate.

My biggest advice to you is to pursue a second degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders (assuming your first degree is not in this!). It will take less time and be cheaper over all than just taking post-bacc courses. Good luck! 

Edited by JoHarrison

5 hours ago, JoHarrison said:

Hi there! First of all, I am sorry to hear about your struggles. I know it can be a difficult field to get in to because of how competitive it is. There are so many people entering with ridiculous GPA's that it really depends on who you are applying with and competing for a spot with. I too have been an SLPA for quite a few years now and although that will assist you once you are in grad school, getting there may be difficult unfortunately. I don't know if this is for all schools, but I do know that the majority do not take your post-bacc classes in to your GPA account UNLESS they are part of a degree program. My suggestion would be to try to get in to a second degree program. The University of South Florida has one online where you get a Bachelors of Science degree in CSD, and it is very good. Since you have taken some classes already, maybe they will transfer over? Florida International University does not look at GRE scores, but GPA may be difficult. If you are bilingual you have a better chance of getting accepted quite honestly since it is a bilingual program. Aside from that, it will be difficult to get an acceptance with a 2.86. I would seriously consider looking at a second degree. It is one thing they do not tell you with those bridge programs is that when applying for your masters in SLP, majority (if not all) do not consider that as a GPA. I know a lot of people that took classes to boost GPA, but because it was not a degree it did not matter in the long run. It is very unfortunate.

My biggest advice to you is to pursue a second degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders (assuming your first degree is not in this!). It will take less time and be cheaper over all than just taking post-bacc courses. Good luck! 

Every school I applied to (15, all over the country) took my postbacc as part of my GPA, and I wasn't degree seeking. If you want a second bachelors, and you need that much of a boost, go for it, but most schools just look at last 60 credits, and CSD GPA, which OF COURSE includes postbacc. You can do it. Take the classes, work hard, apply smart. 

What kinds of schools are you applying to? I would recommend going for schools in areas that are less desirable to live in. SLP programs in big cities have unbelievably low acceptance rates. Go on ASHA's Edfind to find acceptance rates and apply to schools with the highest ones. You just might have to deal with living in an area that's very rural or has terrible weather (or both!) for two years. Don't restrict yourself to certain regions. My stats were similar to yours, and folks like us cannot afford to be picky! 

I almost gave up after my third round of rejections. Fourth time was the charm for me. Just make sure you're improving your CV each year--volunteering never hurts!--especially if you're applying to the same program multiple times. They like to see continuing progress. Good luck! 

To be honest, I do not believe grades are the most important part of your application. As long as you have a 3.5 you will be considered. Graduate schools care more about the if you are a good fit for their program or if you would make a good clinician. If our application does not showcase these qualities, you will not get in, regardless of your grades. My overall GPA is a 3.1 and my GPA for my speech classes is a 3.5. I spent my first two years of college in a community college where a majority of my grades were C's. HOWEVER, during my last two years at my 4 year school, I became a tutor, a TA, and an Academic Personal Trainer. I was also very involved in NSSHLA and other clubs. So instead of surrounding my letter of intent around excuses for getting low grades, I let all the activities I was involved in speak for itself. LOR are also really important. If you can get your speech professor to explain to the school how good of a student you are despite of your grades, your chances of getting excepted will go up. Challenge admission directors to see outside of your grades and they will most likely accept this challenge.

If you get an interview, be yourself. Don't lie, or pretend. In one of my interviews I talked about how I didn't do well on my AW the first time I took the GRE because I didn't trust my gut, and when I retook it I wrote how I wanted to write and did so much better. She appreciated my honesty and perseverance, and I was accepted into that school. I'm sorry this post is so long. I just don't want you to give up because your stats are similar to mine and I only got rejected form one school. GOOD LUCK. DM me if you need any more advice!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My in major GPA is around 3.36 and my GRE scores are definitely not that impressive (60% verbal, 42% analytical writing) and I'm beginning my program in the fall so it is definitely not strictly about numbers.  If you know your GPA and test scores are not that impressive you should try and  outweigh that with volunteer/work experience.  SLP-A experience is definitely a huge plus!

You need to make sure your application sets you apart, whether that be with volunteer work or an inspiring statement of purpose.  Admissions committees love to hear about what lit the fire in your soul for this profession since it is a career that requires genuine people.  If they see that you have persevering through rejections and it has only strengthened your desire to achieve your license to become an SLP, they recognize and appreciate that.

Good luck!