American Studies Cycle 2017/2018

amstu

Also, I know it is a HUGE longshot, but if anyone is not going to accept USC ASE, kindly let them know.

Still waiting on a rejection or waitlist from them, but holding out a tiny smidge of hope that I am waitlisted.

Given the fact that lit & rhet/comp folks often also apply to Am Studies programs, I've added a tab for American Studies PhD programs on the funding/offer tracker that has been circulated in the LRC threads. I think it could be a great resource for future applicants. If anyone has offers or inside info, could you fill out what your program is offering?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XNJR4IhOJ56zd7zLuVSUK7h054dBRNvyiC7iStCOsxo/

On 3/13/2018 at 11:22 PM, CulturalCriminal said:

@HistorianInTheMaking@Ian Han@evanmarie

What's the word on UT's American Studies? If you're in, are you going to go? If you're still on the waitlist, are you going to hold on hope until the bitter (or hopeful) end?

I haven't heard anything, the the coordinator said most of the movement happens in March. That said, I got a really good offer from UMass English so I think i am going to go with that.t

Haven't heard/seen much about the University of Hawaii American Studies program.  I applied on a whim and just received notification of my acceptance. Does anyone know if their program is reputable?   Any and all information is welcome, as I am deciding between a few programs.

Thanks!

15 hours ago, Addison Kennedy said:

Also side note: does anyone know how many Masters Students Bowling Green accepts each year?

From the program's website:

"The ACS masters program typically has 10-12 students at one time. Each cohort averages 5 students. The ACS doctoarate program typically has 40 students and each cohort averages 8-12 students."

I was accepted to the program but waitlisted for funding, so ultimately had to decline. But I did accept a fully funded offer elsewhere that I'm really excited about!

On 3/22/2018 at 2:46 PM, Addison Kennedy said:

Haven't heard/seen much about the University of Hawaii American Studies program.  I applied on a whim and just received notification of my acceptance. Does anyone know if their program is reputable?   Any and all information is welcome, as I am deciding between a few programs.

Thanks!

I can´t tell you much about their quality, but I heard that due to the enormous cost of living it is hardly possible to make it with their stipend...

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, CeeJay46 said:

Still haven't heard one single word from UT. I am starting to get a little very angry about this...

You might call Olga. They’ve got a few second offers out. I was told it might be May before a concrete yes or no happens.

Thanks for the response. I didn't call her, but sent her an e-mail also explaining that I would appreciate some clarity because this relates to my current legal status in the US.

No answer on why others got wait listed while I officially got nothing or any other questions, nor on why others have been rejected on the phone without status updates, nothing. Just a standard answer that they were hoping to have the decision letters done by April 15. (!)

I think I won´t go for a round 3.

If a 4.0 GPA, bachelor´s and master´s degrees in American Studies, a good research proposal, 3 years of teaching experience and a top 2% GRE are not good enough, then it is not meant to be, I guess....

11 hours ago, CulturalCriminal said:

Whelp, today was the day I finally got the bump to no, after being on UT’s waitlist for months. I suppose this means round 2, bigger net, try to adjunct in the meantime.

Best of luck to you next year. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2018 at 11:58 PM, CulturalCriminal said:

Whelp, today was the day I finally got the bump to no, after being on UT’s waitlist for months. I suppose this means round 2, bigger net, try to adjunct in the meantime.

I still haven't actually gotten the official email or change of status on the my-status webpage, as my "bump" was only indicated when I called to check...