Fall 2018 Applicants

hesiodandhomer

8 hours ago, aigilipos said:

Someone posted in the results section that they received an interview request from Princeton on January 10th, which is why I'm a little nervous! I applied to lots others... Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Duke, Johns Hopkins, UT Austin, NYU, BU, and OSU. I'm playing the numbers game, since I've been out of academia for a few years; I think I have 13 total schools. Hoping somewhere wants me! Which school is your top choice?

Just swinging by to say that Princeton does not always interview applicants they intend to accept. So not getting an interview request doesn't mean you won't get good news later (they sent out acceptances in late Feb. last year). Good luck to you all!

58 minutes ago, anactoria said:

Just swinging by to say that Princeton does not always interview applicants they intend to accept. So not getting an interview request doesn't mean you won't get good news later (they sent out acceptances in late Feb. last year). Good luck to you all!

Good to know. Thanks for the reassurance!

On 1/15/2018 at 6:24 AM, FlosVeterisVini said:

Hi all,

It's comforting to know everyone else is as anxious as I am! I'm applying to PhD programs as an undergrad from a public university with a 3.94 GPA (3.92 on the apps, since there was an issue with proper records of grades from my study abroad program). I have 4 years of Latin, 3 years of Greek, 1 year of Italian, and a semester of German. I've just received an email from UPenn for a skype interview. I'm excited, but nervous! I have also applied to Princeton, Brown, UNC- Chapel Hill, UChicago, UWashington, UVirginia, Oxford and Cambridge (MSt and MPhil). Good luck to everyone, and I hope I get to meet some of you in person at recruitment weekends!

Congrats on the interview! Those are all excellent programs, I hope you hear from more of them soon! 

4 hours ago, anactoria said:

That's really good to know! I was looking into Princeton for potential Ph.D. options (I'm only applying to MA-level programs right now), so I'll keep that in mind for a year from now! 

31 minutes ago, ClassicsCandidate said:

Thanks! I'm going to try to distract myself with my current coursework so I don't wake up every day thinking "Is it February yet?" It's so nerve-wracking!

Hah! Yeah, the time is approaching fast. I'm super nervous for the interview, but I just hope that I accurately represent myself and am not too flustered by nerves. :D I expect more results to start rolling in as soon as next week. :o 

1 hour ago, FlosVeterisVini said:

Hah! Yeah, the time is approaching fast. I'm super nervous for the interview, but I just hope that I accurately represent myself and am not too flustered by nerves. :D I expect more results to start rolling in as soon as next week. :o 

I've been lurking for a while and finally made an account. I felt a lot of nerves for my first interview, but once the Skype call started, I calmed down, and the conversation came naturally. My next interview is with Penn, and I'm hoping the same thing happens for that, with perhaps fewer pre-interview nerves!

2 hours ago, Phemius said:

I've been lurking for a while and finally made an account. I felt a lot of nerves for my first interview, but once the Skype call started, I calmed down, and the conversation came naturally. My next interview is with Penn, and I'm hoping the same thing happens for that, with perhaps fewer pre-interview nerves!

Congrats on the upcoming Penn interview! Where was your earlier one? Glad it went well!

Out of curiosity, how many of you are applying/ have applied to archaeology programs? It seems like there are very few archaeologists on this board applying this year, but maybe I've just been less attentive to detail in my lurking this time around... ;) 

Edited by ciistai

4 hours ago, Phemius said:

That's good to know! For Penn, has someone emailed you to set up a time yet?

2 hours ago, FlosVeterisVini said:

That's good to know! For Penn, has someone emailed you to set up a time yet?

Not yet, my current plan is to reach out to them tomorrow near the end of the day to check in. 

52 minutes ago, aigilipos said:

That’s where I did my undergrad! Let me know if you have any questions about the people/program/city in general!

Thanks for the offer! I’ll be sure to reach out if any questions arise. 

6 hours ago, ciistai said:

Out of curiosity, how many of you are applying/ have applied to archaeology programs? It seems like there are very few archaeologists on this board applying this year, but maybe I've just been less attentive to detail in my lurking this time around... ;) 

I applied to Michigan's IPCAA, am curious if anyone else did and if they've heard anything yet. 

10 hours ago, FlosVeterisVini said:

Take deep breaths! You'll be great. And oh that's so exciting! 

9 hours ago, Phemius said:

Congrats on the interview with Penn! Best of luck :D And yay for the Chicago interview! I just started talking with one of the grad students currently in the Program in the Ancient Mediterranean World, and she seems to love the program a lot.

6 hours ago, ciistai said:

Part of the MA program I've applied to has archaeology and culture courses as part of the program, and I'll be doing a field school in Bulgaria in July for some practical experience since I want to go for a more interdisciplinary program but plan on doing Classical Archaeology as part of my program. So, not specifically and not this year, but I will be in a couple of years! 

hi to all, 

I come from greece, i hold a ba in classics( 6.9 in a scale of 10), an MA in classics  -with merit- from a UK university (Glasgow), and 20 years of teaching GREEK and Latin in high schools ( + a published book for the translation/ interpretation of GREEK unseen texts). Yes, i am 49 years old ??. Do you think i stand any chance of getting into a funded  phd  programme in the usa? 

Thanks in advance, happy new year to all, and  best of luck to all applicants!

Vasileios

On 1/21/2018 at 9:29 AM, Vasileios said:

hi to all, 

I come from greece, i hold a ba in classics( 6.9 in a scale of 10), an MA in classics  -with merit- from a UK university (Glasgow), and 20 years of teaching GREEK and Latin in high schools ( + a published book for the translation/ interpretation of GREEK unseen texts). Yes, i am 49 years old ??. Do you think i stand any chance of getting into a funded  phd  programme in the usa? 

Thanks in advance, happy new year to all, and  best of luck to all applicants!

Vasileios

Hello! I feel like, with your credentials (Glasgow is a great school!), you would definitely stand a good chance! I believe you would just have to take the GRE and it would depend on which schools you would apply to, but a lot of schools will guarantee funding if you're accepted. Which schools are you thinking of applying to? Best of luck to you in your search, too! 

On 1/22/2018 at 9:33 AM, Histrio said:

Hi,

So, just had a Skype interview with Cambridge (PhD), thought I might help out from the experience.

I was asked about my research proposal, mainly about what I think we can gain by  it and about possible weak points.

The questions were tough but fair and the atmosphere was overall very nice.

Sounds like it went well! Congratulations on the interview and thanks for the insight :D 

Hello! Long time lurker, new poster. I've applied to a bunch of Classics (Ancient History) programmes on both sides of the pond: in the last two weeks I had interviews with Penn, Chicago and Cambridge, and will soon have one with Columbia. Today I found out I've been put on the wait list at Chicago... which is not bad news per se, but I'm a bit bummed nonetheless, mainly because this one is the first actual feedback I receive this season. :( good luck everyone, let's support each other!

5 hours ago, soliloquy said:

Hello! Long time lurker, new poster. I've applied to a bunch of Classics (Ancient History) programmes on both sides of the pond: in the last two weeks I had interviews with Penn, Chicago and Cambridge, and will soon have one with Columbia. Today I found out I've been put on the wait list at Chicago... which is not bad news per se, but I'm a bit bummed nonetheless, mainly because this one is the first actual feedback I receive this season. :( good luck everyone, let's support each other!

Welcome! Those are all fantastic programs; fingers crossed that the next news you get is undeniably good news! 

6 hours ago, soliloquy said:

Great, best of luck friend! I too applied to Chicago and Columbia and heared nothing yet (which kinda makes me feel it’s not going anywhere, hearing they already held interviews and sent some decisions even). So, sounds like you’re doing well!

6 hours ago, Histrio said:

Great, best of luck friend! I too applied to Chicago and Columbia and heared nothing yet (which kinda makes me feel it’s not going anywhere, hearing they already held interviews and sent some decisions even). So, sounds like you’re doing well!

I have the same problem with Berkeley: I saw on the results page they have already started sending out some decisions, but haven't heard anything at all so far!