Fall 2018 Applicants

hesiodandhomer

Thanks for the information, Histrio.

How much did they ask you about your prospective research you wrote about in your SoP? Did they go into detail? I am prepared quite well I would guess, but I will be talking to the real experts of course and don’t want to make a fool of myself.

On 1/31/2018 at 10:56 PM, Histrio said:

I’m still waiting for the decision to arrive from Cambridge (they told me they’re hoping to know by 5 Feb. and to notify not too much latet), but otherwise it seems I’ll be moving to Seattle. Anyone else here thinks of coming to UW?

I'm definitely thinking about going! I would need funding, naturally, but hopefully I was enthusiastic enough in my response email to show my interest :D We'll see what other news I get in the next few weeks, but Seattle is a definite possibility. Fingers crossed you'll hear from Cambridge soon!

Congrats to everyone who heard back from their first/additional programs they applied to! I'm so happy for everyone :D I'm waiting to hear back from Villanova; I should know something this week or next week, so I've been checking back here to see how everyone else is doing. I'm glad everyone's getting accepted into multiple programs! That's so excellent. Has anyone gotten into the top choice program?? You all must be so excited! 

On 2/1/2018 at 9:13 AM, Lucilius said:

Hello to everybody!

This is my first post here. I am a student from Europe and applying for the first time to American PhD programs this round. I just got a Skype interview request from NYU. I think my academic preparation is strong. However, I am super nervous right now since I have never done something like this before (not even in my mother tongue).

I think I will spend my weekend gathering advice concerning interviews in this forum:o

If anyone has special tips from her/his own experience or even directly with NYU I would be really happy of course. And of course I would share my experience from that interview afterwards.

Greetings from far away (at least for the majority of you I think;))

Hello and welcome! I wanted to wish you goodluck with your Skype interview; let us know how it goes :D You'll be great! 

(I'm on the USA West Coast, so not sure how far that is, but *give you welcoming waves from the desert*)

7 hours ago, ClassicsCandidate said:

Congrats to everyone who heard back from their first/additional programs they applied to! I'm so happy for everyone :D I'm waiting to hear back from Villanova; I should know something this week or next week, so I've been checking back here to see how everyone else is doing. I'm glad everyone's getting accepted into multiple programs! That's so excellent. Has anyone gotten into the top choice program?? You all must be so excited! 

I'm so happy for everyone too! Fingers crossed for Villanova, keep us posted :D I got into Columbia, that was definitely one of my dream choices!!! I'm very tempted to accept, but am still waiting to hear back from Princeton and Cambridge, also my top choices... it's weird though, I haven't heard anything at all from Princeton, don't they even do interviews?

36 minutes ago, soliloquy said:

I'm so happy for everyone too! Fingers crossed for Villanova, keep us posted :D I got into Columbia, that was definitely one of my dream choices!!! I'm very tempted to accept, but am still waiting to hear back from Princeton and Cambridge, also my top choices... it's weird though, I haven't heard anything at all from Princeton, don't they even do interviews?

I think someone posted on the board something on an interview with Princeton. For what it’s worth, I haven’t heard from them as well. Congrats on Columbia!! I know that Cambridge will be back with results in the next days (they told me that their deadline for working on the apps is Feb. 5..so here we are).

Anyone heard from Harvard or Yale?

17 hours ago, soliloquy said:

Thank you; I will definitely keep everyone updated! It's the only place I applied to thus far because the other programs have much later due dates and one application for the post-bacc program wasn't even open yet. 

Congrats on Columbia! I think I read somewhere that some places will still accept people even if they don't have an interview, but I'm uncertain if that's true for Princeton. I'm sure we'll all start hearing back this week/next week if we haven't yet! 

Edited by ClassicsCandidate

18 hours ago, Passer said:

Does that apply to all degrees for Classics or just PhDs?

It must be a Classics postgrad thing -- both MPhils and PhDs. At the end of my Cambridge interview, I asked my interviewer when I should expect to hear back, and they told me that decisions should be sent out in mid-to-late February -- but of course this is only admissions, not funding decisions, which (they said) will start trickling through in March and will continue all the way through May and beyond. :unsure:

7 hours ago, Passer said:

It looks like cambridge hasn't notified until the end of February in past years :(

I heard from them in early March last year, that's why early February seemed overly optimistic to me...

2 hours ago, FlosVeterisVini said:

Has anyone heard anything from Princeton? It's the last school I'm waiting to hear from.

Same here, I haven't heard from them yet. A coursemate of mine also applied there and hasn't heard either. After all, they say that offers are made between Jan 15 and Mar 15 somewhere on the grad school website...

On an unrelated note: Cambridge has just started sending out decisions -- check your emails!

15 minutes ago, soliloquy said:

Same here, I haven't heard from them yet. A coursemate of mine also applied there and hasn't heard either. After all, they say that offers are made between Jan 15 and Mar 15 somewhere on the grad school website...

On an unrelated note: Cambridge has just started sending out decisions -- check your emails!

Good to know, thanks!