Fall 2018 Applicants

hesiodandhomer

12 hours ago, Histrio said:

Great, best of luck friend! I too applied to Chicago and Columbia and heared nothing yet (which kinda makes me feel it’s not going anywhere, hearing they already held interviews and sent some decisions even). So, sounds like you’re doing well!

I haven't heard from Columbia either. Fingers crossed for everyone, and congrats to those with interviews/acceptances!

@soliloquy Multiple interviews are a good indicator that you have a strong application. Don't worry, you'll be accepted into a great program that will be the perfect fit for you.

I had an interview with UPenn, but I have heard nothing from Chicago or UNC-Chapel Hill, which was a bit rough for me. I didn't realize how much this process would be emotionally draining, but I am so happy for those who are getting great news.

Let us not give up hope so easily! 

Edited by FlosVeterisVini

58 minutes ago, FlosVeterisVini said:

I didn't realize how much this process would be emotionally draining

Some perspective that a professor friend gave me: nobody can predict what specifics these departments are looking for this year (or ever, really). I fall on the Latin side of the field; maybe the places I applied matriculated 4 Latinists last year, so they're stocking up on Hellenists this cycle. What's keeping me (moderately) sane is looking at it from that angle. Essentially, it's not you, it's them!

6 hours ago, aigilipos said:

Some perspective that a professor friend gave me: nobody can predict what specifics these departments are looking for this year (or ever, really). I fall on the Latin side of the field; maybe the places I applied matriculated 4 Latinists last year, so they're stocking up on Hellenists this cycle. What's keeping me (moderately) sane is looking at it from that angle. Essentially, it's not you, it's them!

“Moderately”?

Hi all! I mostly live on the History message boards ( I applied to Ancient History programs housed both in History and Classics) and wanted to congratulate all of you interviewees! I'm super nervous as I haven't heard anything from Chicago or UPenn, but UPenn had not linked my GRE scores to my application until yesterday because of a clerical error, so maybe I still have a shot.

The waiting game is the most stressful-- I'm doing everything I can not to refresh my email and the Results page every 5 minutes.

2 hours ago, Nicholashjbc said:

What will Cambridge interviewers ask?

As a current student as well as recent interviewee I'm fairly expert on this :D The interview is divided into three parts: first they ask you generally about your interests and past work, then they discuss your proposal with you -- methodology, approach, impact etc -- and finally they try to identify with you your training needs -- hands-on archaeology, epigraphy, German, numismatics, you name it.

Let me stress that the final part is IN NO WAY intended to spot your weaknesses and use them against you: admitting that you can't even read German, for example, will not impair your application, since the Faculty is well equipped to cater for that need once you're in. The point here is assessing your own ability to identify the areas you need to work on, especially with respect to your future research.

Edited by soliloquy

26 minutes ago, soliloquy said:

As a current student as well as recent interviewee I'm fairly expert on this :D The interview is divided into three parts: first they ask you generally about your interests and past work, then they discuss your proposal with you -- methodology, approach, impact etc -- and finally they try to identify with you your training needs -- hands-on archaeology, epigraphy, German, numismatics, you name it.

Let me stress that the final part is IN NO WAY intended to spot your weaknesses and use them against you: admitting that you can't even read German, for example, will not impair your application, since the Faculty is well equipped to cater for that need once you're in. The point here is assessing your own ability to identify the areas you need to work on, especially with respect to your future research.

17 hours ago, noctua said:

Hi all! I mostly live on the History message boards ( I applied to Ancient History programs housed both in History and Classics) and wanted to congratulate all of you interviewees! I'm super nervous as I haven't heard anything from Chicago or UPenn, but UPenn had not linked my GRE scores to my application until yesterday because of a clerical error, so maybe I still have a shot.

The waiting game is the most stressful-- I'm doing everything I can not to refresh my email and the Results page every 5 minutes.

Was that you that just posted your acceptance from UPenn (Ancient History)? I hope so!

41 minutes ago, soliloquy said:

It was me, actually! I'm so happy :D did anyone else hear back?

Congratulations! 

I’ve had a whirlwind few days. Between Tuesday night and last night, I got acceptances at Chicago, UNC-CH, UPenn, Stanford, and Berkeley. I’m not really sure why this is going so well, but it’s a pretty stark turn around from my first round of applications two years ago. (And I’m still waiting to here from Princeton and University of Washington.)

58 minutes ago, Phemius said:

Congratulations! 

I’ve had a whirlwind few days. Between Tuesday night and last night, I got acceptances at Chicago, UNC-CH, UPenn, Stanford, and Berkeley. I’m not really sure why this is going so well, but it’s a pretty stark turn around from my first round of applications two years ago. (And I’m still waiting to here from Princeton and University of Washington.)

1 hour ago, soliloquy said:

It was me, actually! I'm so happy :D did anyone else hear back?

OMG!! Congratulations to you both! I got into Penn as well! Are you both going to the prospective student event?

Also, @Phemius, you are obviously the STAR candidate this go-around! I don't know how you're handling the high of all of your acceptances. I could barely contain myself with the offer from UPenn! 

20 minutes ago, FlosVeterisVini said:

OMG!! Congratulations to you both! I got into Penn as well! Are you both going to the prospective student event?

Also, @Phemius, you are obviously the STAR candidate this go-around! I don't know how you're handling the high of all of your acceptances. I could barely contain myself with the offer from UPenn! 

Congratulations to you, too! I will be at the prospective student event, so I hope to see you there! 

I’ve been fluctuating between disbelief and joy...

1 hour ago, FlosVeterisVini said:

Congrats on your acceptance, proud of you!!!

On 25/01/2018 at 11:19 AM, promethea said:

Has anyone gotten news from Stanford? I have friends who've applied there in STEM fields too and none of us have heard anything yet! 

The committee met yesterday and first-round offers have been made I think. 

8 hours ago, Phemius said:

Congratulations! 

Omg congratulations, that's an incredible round indeed! :o which program did you apply to at Berkeley? I went for AHMA and am still waiting to hear back...

7 hours ago, FlosVeterisVini said:

I'd love to, but it's quite a long trip from across the pond! I'll think about that :)

23 minutes ago, soliloquy said:

Omg congratulations, that's an incredible round indeed! :o which program did you apply to at Berkeley? I went for AHMA and am still waiting to hear back...

I’m on the languages and literature side of the field, so it was the Classics program. Best of luck! I hope for a quick and positive end to your waiting!