Fall 2018 Applicants

hesiodandhomer

Finally stopped lurking and decided to join. This place is addictive. I can never tell if I'm feeling uplifted by posts from years past or...well...you know—the crushing anxiety.

Best of luck to all applicants. I threw out Philology apps to Stanford, Brown, B-U, U-M, Yale, and Cornell. Not sure I made that net wide enough, but it's in the hands of the numina now. 

6 hours ago, Histrio said:

Am I in the wrong to think that whatever university I did not hear from anything by now is not going to send any good news now? Or am I just too pessimistic and tired from the process?

It’s still so early! Give it a few more weeks. We should start hearing more in February, I think. 

7 hours ago, Histrio said:

Am I in the wrong to think that whatever university I did not hear from anything by now is not going to send any good news now? Or am I just too pessimistic and tired from the process?

Even on the official pages of most unis I looked at, they say they start sending out results and feedback in mid-to-late February.

53 minutes ago, aigilipos said:

It’s still so early! Give it a few more weeks. We should start hearing more in February, I think. 

16 minutes ago, Withnail said:

Even on the official pages of most unis I looked at, they say they start sending out results and feedback in mid-to-late February.

Thanks, I sure hope so..seeing all the different notices here?

I'll chime in and agree about notifications from programs generally picking up in February. Most universities have only been back in session for a couple weeks, and this is the time of year that departments are in various stages of things like job searches and other planning. 

1 hour ago, Pius Aeneas said:

I'll chime in and agree about notifications from programs generally picking up in February. Most universities have only been back in session for a couple weeks, and this is the time of year that departments are in various stages of things like job searches and other planning. 

Well, fingers crossed that this is true for universities that did send invites and decisions already...I have some of them on my list?????

50 minutes ago, Passer said:

is it proper etiquette to email thank yous to interviewers?

Absolutely! They may not necessarily expect them, but they will most likely appreciate them. It is also a great time to follow up on any ideas brought up in the interview. Has some comment a faculty member made about your work stuck with you? Let them know. Don't try to force it, though; a simple thank you is enough, too. I sent out my thank you emails the morning following the interview. 

On 1/27/2018 at 2:40 PM, anactoria said:

The committee met yesterday and first-round offers have been made I think. 

Thanks for the info! I haven't heard anything from them, so I guess it's a no. That's okay though, it was a bit of a stretch anyway in terms of fit. Congratulations to those whoh did get acceptances! 

Just curious! Did one of you just post the Brown PhD listing? That's a school I'm quite keen on and I'm wondering which professor of interest sent the email. Congratulations, too!

3 hours ago, Withnail said:

Just curious! Did one of you just post the Brown PhD listing? That's a school I'm quite keen on and I'm wondering which professor of interest sent the email. Congratulations, too!

Thank you! I received an email from Joseph Reed. I hope you hear something soon!

7 hours ago, FlosVeterisVini said:

Awesome! Congratulations! Are you going?

I'm not sure yet, I love their program but I'd so much prefer a good ol' Skype interview rather than having to fly there from England... especially at such a hectic time of the year! Are you? Congrats to you and to everyone, by the way! :D 

35 minutes ago, soliloquy said:

I'm not sure yet, I love their program but I'd so much prefer a good ol' Skype interview rather than having to fly there from England... especially at such a hectic time of the year! Are you? Congrats to you and to everyone, by the way! :D 

Yes, although it is very intimidating. It's definitely a very hectic time of the year, but I hear Rhode Island is quite beautiful and worth the trip!

Congrats to everyone!

I’m still waiting for the decision to arrive from Cambridge (they told me they’re hoping to know by 5 Feb. and to notify not too much latet), but otherwise it seems I’ll be moving to Seattle. Anyone else here thinks of coming to UW?

Hello to everybody!

This is my first post here. I am a student from Europe and applying for the first time to American PhD programs this round. I just got a Skype interview request from NYU. I think my academic preparation is strong. However, I am super nervous right now since I have never done something like this before (not even in my mother tongue).

I think I will spend my weekend gathering advice concerning interviews in this forum:o

If anyone has special tips from her/his own experience or even directly with NYU I would be really happy of course. And of course I would share my experience from that interview afterwards.

Greetings from far away (at least for the majority of you I think;))

17 minutes ago, Lucilius said:

Hello to everybody!

This is my first post here. I am a student from Europe and applying for the first time to American PhD programs this round. I just got a Skype interview request from NYU. I think my academic preparation is strong. However, I am super nervous right now since I have never done something like this before (not even in my mother tongue).

I think I will spend my weekend gathering advice concerning interviews in this forum:o

If anyone has special tips from her/his own experience or even directly with NYU I would be really happy of course. And of course I would share my experience from that interview afterwards.

Greetings from far away (at least for the majority of you I think;))

Hi, best of luck friend!

In all of my interviews (American programs), I was asked to elaborate on specific points in my SoP, to speak about my plans for the PhD and on the reasons I wish to be apart of that specific program.