Fall 2018 Applicants

hesiodandhomer

Congratulations to the two friends that both received an acceptance from Yale! 

On 2/14/2018 at 2:03 PM, ClassicsCandidate said:

It's great to hear a lot of people are getting good news! I'm still waiting to hear back from Villanova, so I've been lurking to see how everyone else was doing with the waiting. I have a funny feeling I may not know until March, so I'm trying to distract myself! 

Good news will come soon! Waiting is the worst!

Ah I see. Does anyone know if Columbia has already set a prospectus week in stone? I saw at least one person had received acceptance, congrats! I'm not sure if it's still too early to send an email to the grad coordinator but I'm getting restless. 

15 hours ago, ClassicalK said:

Ah I see. Does anyone know if Columbia has already set a prospectus week in stone? I saw at least one person had received acceptance, congrats! I'm not sure if it's still too early to send an email to the grad coordinator but I'm getting restless. 

I'm going to the prospective students' weekend visit on March 1-2! But it's only for Classical Studies as far as I know, don't know about the other programs like Classics...

On 2/18/2018 at 10:32 AM, FlosVeterisVini said:

Congratulations to the two friends that both received an acceptance from Yale! 

Good news will come soon! Waiting is the worst!

I hope so! I've just been kind of spinning around, trying to focus on my semester but I feel like I won't be able to fully refocus myself until I have an answer! I started an application for the UGA Post-Bacc as well, just in case, so I'm waiting to see if my transcripts got to them yet. Otherwise, I've just been at work not being able to focus and staring at the wall while refreshing the status page! 

2 hours ago, Pig With Wings said:

Why are you not feeling optimistic, Aigilipos?  Were you interviewed?  Good luck!

Thanks! I was not interviewed, so I don’t think I’ll be accepted. Miracles do happen, though. Good luck to you too!

Edited by aigilipos

Any word from Boston or Michigan? Now is the winter of my malcontent. It's the end of February and all I have to show for it is an elevated heart rate and a half-empty Xanax container. What a gruelling waiting season.

7 hours ago, Withnail said:

Any word from Boston or Michigan? Now is the winter of my malcontent. It's the end of February and all I have to show for it is an elevated heart rate and a half-empty Xanax container. What a gruelling waiting season.

Last year I heard back from UB on 4.3 (from the faculty member who interviewed me) and two days later received the official rejection letter. 

Michigan (Ann Arbor) contacted me (also after and interview) only on 4.4.

I passed that winter of discontent last year, realizing that my applications were indeed scarce half made, and reapplied this year - and great results came.. hope that’s some relief.

16 hours ago, Withnail said:

I'm also waiting on BU -- I see they interviewed someone earlier this month, but it wasn't me. I didn't apply to Michigan, but I hope you'll hear soon. The decisions do feel like they're dragging along this year, but maybe that's because we're stressed out!

On 2/23/2018 at 10:37 PM, chadkman said:

Anyone heard anything from Duke besides the one individual I saw had an interview?

Nope, no word yet on my end...

19 hours ago, Histrio said:

Last year I heard back from UB on 4.3 (from the faculty member who interviewed me) and two days later received the official rejection letter. 

Michigan (Ann Arbor) contacted me (also after and interview) only on 4.4.

I passed that winter of discontent last year, realizing that my applications were indeed scarce half made, and reapplied this year - and great results came.. hope that’s some relief.

That is good to know. I thought I put a damn good chunk of my time into my applications—particularly trying to tailor them toward American universities. In doing this, I focused less on research goals and more on projects I had worked on, as well as faculty members I admired, and how their specialties aligned with my interests. Next year, since I'm assuming this year will return no harvest, I'll shove in more research proposals. In the UK, that's all they want. In the US, well, I figured it was less important since they make you wait a fucking century before you become a proper PhD candidate.

Oh, but all this begging and pleading. I feel like Michael Keaton in Birdman. What do I have to do to get these people to look at me? I got top prize in my class at the University of St Andrews and I supposed that would help in some way, but nyet. C'est la miserie. I hope I get into a school. If not, I suppose I'll join the navy.

Edited by Withnail

Hello friends,

I've been stalking the results page for a while but I am more active on the gradadmissions reddit, but I decided to join in this convo now that I've found it! Congrats to everyone who has acceptances so far! I am 1a/1w/2r/1p myself. I know most people are waiting on more decisions/visits but do people generally post where they're going once they've decided?

hang in there!!

50 minutes ago, Passer said:

Anyone else sitting on no acceptances right now? I thought I was prepared but now I'm thinking about how much it will suck to explain to my professors/family/friends if these last apps don't come through

Aye. The only thing I'm sitting on is my thumbs. I think I overestimated myself and underestimated the unis. Michigan and Boston are my last hopes and I've heard nothing but crickets from both schools. I signed up for Telepaideia classes and a Living Greek summer programme just to take my mind off of things. It's not helping. Do you know why? Because 90% of Greek literature is melancholic.

But I feel you, comrade. The last thing I want to hear you write is Passer mortuus est. I don't want to relay to my parents, tutors, professors, and former classmates that I was rejected by all of the schools I applied to. I felt like the King of Caledonia three months ago. Right now I feel like I was born into the House of Atreus. Let's hope that some bona fortuna comes nobis post-fucking-haste, my friend.

Does anyone have advice for campus visits? In particular, I'm biting my nails at the prospect of sitting in on the language classes! I'm excited to see what they're like, but also terrified I'll be asked to translate some incredibly complex Greek or Latin passage and have an epic fumble...

15 hours ago, Passer said:

Anyone else sitting on no acceptances right now? I thought I was prepared but now I'm thinking about how much it will suck to explain to my professors/family/friends if these last apps don't come through

I'm still waiting to hear back from Villanova for their MA program and University of Georgia for the post-bacc, both of which I'm worried won't get back to me until April, during which time I will probably be beside myself with stress. I know it's not the same as waiting for PhD programs to get back to you but I'm also worried I won't be able to get into either which would suck because I feel like if I don't get into the MA program, I'll need the post-bacc to brush up and improve the looks of my academic records.