HGSE 2018

Edugy

56 minutes ago, jmaroon said:

@sakurajima You don't have to be a US citizen or resident to be part of that program, but the EPM coursework is focused on education and policy within the United States education system. The required coursework is mainly US centric. Alternatively, there is the International Education Policy program for those interested in policy worldwide (or in specific countries outside the US)

Thank you so much. It makes sense. Maybe, I should have applied to IEP. Is it rare case that admissions committees have the discretion to refer files in case where they feel the applicant might be better suited in another program? Does anyone hear such case?  

https://www.gse.harvard.edu/admissions/faq/referrals

@sakurajima I've personally never heard of an EdM applicant applying to one program but getting admitted to a different one, unless you're lucky enough that someone reading this board has experienced it or knows it first hand, I don't think there's any way of finding out. However, I know that PhD applicants who are rejected as a doctoral student but referred to EdM admissions and have been accepted that way.

So...this is probably pretty much useless information, but I thought I'd share it anyway since it's interesting.

In 2003, the HGSE masters program acceptance rate was 54% (761/1404).

In 2003, the HGSE EdD (there was no PhD) program acceptance rate was 13% (79/592).

I tried using the internet archives to see if HGSE has ever posted acceptance rates, and unfortunately 2003 was the last time they posted them. From 2004 on they were removed. But in any event, it's interesting. In the years prior, the masters acceptance rate fluctuated between 53-65% and the PhD acceptance rate held steady at 15%.

Who knows what it is now though...

Edited by brainman1130

@brainman1130 I have a friend who works at HGSE with a faculty member on the PhD admissions committee... he told me recent applicant pool info over the past few years was that there were around 600 applicants, they narrow that down to a top 45-50 interviews, and admit between 25-30 for all 3 PhD concentrations. So about a 5% acceptance rate. An EdM-wide acceptance rate probably isn't that great of a statistic since it kind of depends on the program, I've heard that the number of applicants vary widely across the programs.

@jmaroon Ah, good to know. So that would mean they are admitting fewer PhD students than they used to...because even back in 2003 they had just under 600 applicants, but they accepted more.

For the masters programs, do you know which ones are more or less competitive?

@brainman1130 HGSE didn't have a PhD program until Fall 2014, it was the EdD program up until that year. An EdD program is pretty different than a PhD so that would probably explain the change in admissions; also since the PhD isn't awarded by HGSE and it's a joint venture between GSAS/HGSE would likely have something to do with it as well.

I have heard higher ed, TIE, ed policy, and international ed policy tend to have the most applicants. I think if you research this board, anecdotal experience is that higher ed is competitive overall, since out of the big applicant pools it has the smallest cohort (the latter three have large cohorts). However some of the more specialized programs - like SLP - may be even more competitive due to the requirements to apply, so not sure which is the most competitive and it probably also varies year to year.

Hi all. New to posting. I felt it important to say that there's a ton of incorrect information that is passed around on gradcafe and especially on the HGSE threads. I know applying to grad school is scary and can feel super mysterious but unless you hear info directly from HGSE (and from the *appropriate* people at HGSE), I wouldn't put any weight into the info. I think there are some people who just want to feel like they have some sort of power or the inside track somehow but it just results in folks being more confused or let down on here. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@gradhopeful0000 I was thinking that too, and I haven’t heard anything either. It definitely seems odd that there was just the one post and nothing more...anybody want to claim that post as the one lucky person haha?

I thought yesterday's posting was a troll since there was only one person... but now that there are 2... :(

Congrats to those who've got an admission offer then!!

On 2/5/2018 at 6:08 PM, brainman1130 said:

@PremLeague Thanks for pointing that out. I agree. I wouldn't post things I don't know, but those 2003 numbers (for whatever that's worth 15 years later!) are indeed accurate. They were posted right on the HGSE website. You can look it up in the internet archives.

Yup - the stuff you posted is based upon information published by HGSE officials so I have no issue with that. There's some others on here though that post information that is posed as "factual" when its not. I just find it really unethical to gas up others on information that's not known to be accurate (and, in fact, its not accurate). 

21 hours ago, highered01 said:

FYI, all:

Harvard Grad School Of Education Education, PhD (F18) Accepted via Phone on 6 Feb 2018   6 Feb 2018

Harvard Graduate School Of Education (HGSE) Education, PhD (F18) Accepted via Phone on 7 Feb 2018 A 7 Feb 2018
  •  
Harvard (HGSE) Education, PhD (F18) Accepted via Phone on 6 Feb 2018 A 7 Feb 2018
  • Accepted into EPPE program. Skype interview with advisor 2 weeks ago.
Harvard Education, PhD (F18) Accepted via Phone on 6 Feb 2018 A 7 Feb 2018

8 minutes ago, nandoswitharando said:

Just got the phone call about 30min ago. So excited! Not sure if I'll commit, but it seems promising.

Congrats!! Which concentration did you apply for?

2 hours ago, edu_21 said:

If you don't mind me asking, what sorts of research did you want to focus on according to your SOP?

Without getting too specific (i.e. without doxxing myself), I'm interested in the integration of immigrant/refugee/English learner students in the U.S.

17 hours ago, nandoswitharando said:

Without getting too specific (i.e. without doxxing myself), I'm interested in the integration of immigrant/refugee/English learner students in the U.S.

No worries! That sounds like a pathway worth researching. Good luck to you!