Last Year - When do I start applying for jobs?

PurpleMSW

Hi all, new here.

I will be a second year MSW student this year and I am wondering when the proper time is to begin applying for jobs in this field? I want to get a head start and hopefully have a job before graduation, but I don't want to apply too soon either. I was thinking of putting applications in around October-November. Is this too early? Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks. 

Edited by PurpleMSW

1 hour ago, louise86 said:

If you are graduating in May then yes, that's too early. No one is going to hold a job open that long. Try 1-2 months prior to graduation instead.

I disagree with this. While it's true that someone may not keep a job open, you also have no idea how long it will take them to conduct the hiring process. At some places, there can be 2-3 months between when you apply and when they start doing interviews, then another month or so wait while they do a background check and what not before making an official offer. This is especially true of government positions. 

Also, starting dates can be negotiable/flexible. Consequently, I say that if you see something you really want in October or November, then definitely apply for it. You can't know or control for all the variables... Also, I'd consult recent alums from your program to get a sense of how long it took them to go from application to day one on the job.

It also depends on where you're applying, and what level of position you're applying for. Government positions may have a very different timeline than nonprofits. More senior position (like if you went back for a degree after a lot of experience) may have a longer hiring time than entry level positions.

10 hours ago, louise86 said:

If you are graduating in May then yes, that's too early. No one is going to hold a job open that long. Try 1-2 months prior to graduation instead.

1-2 months before graduation seems a bit too late. I was thinking a minimum of 3 months. I'd rather go through the hiring process while I'm still in school and be ready to start the job when I graduate.

9 hours ago, rising_star said:

I disagree with this. While it's true that someone may not keep a job open, you also have no idea how long it will take them to conduct the hiring process. At some places, there can be 2-3 months between when you apply and when they start doing interviews, then another month or so wait while they do a background check and what not before making an official offer. This is especially true of government positions. 

Also, starting dates can be negotiable/flexible. Consequently, I say that if you see something you really want in October or November, then definitely apply for it. You can't know or control for all the variables... Also, I'd consult recent alums from your program to get a sense of how long it took them to go from application to day one on the job.

You make a good point about government positions. I've heard that the hiring process for gov positions can take 8 months at times. 

Asking alums is a great idea.

8 hours ago, TheCrow said:

It also depends on where you're applying, and what level of position you're applying for. Government positions may have a very different timeline than nonprofits. More senior position (like if you went back for a degree after a lot of experience) may have a longer hiring time than entry level positions.

I will be looking at entry level positions. I went straight to MSW after getting my BA, so my work experience in the social work field very minimal and limited to my field placements.

4 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I've also seen a lot of my class colleagues get hired (well guaranteed a job) by their field placements many months before graduating.

I've heard of this happening, but I wasn't sure how common this was. Could you tell me how those students went about this? I would love to have a job with my field placement I'll be doing this year because it's in the exact area that I want to work in. Did their placements approach them and offer them the job outright, or did the students have to inquire and apply by themselves?

Edited by PurpleMSW

I stand by my 1-2 months comment. In my experience most places that hire micro social workers move through the process pretty quickly to eliminate/reduce gaps in services for clients. I will concede if you are looking to be hired by the federal government or state (depending on your state and the position) then 1-2 months may not be enough lead time to get through the hiring process before graduation. 

If you feel that's too late for the type of job you want or the types of places you are applying to then definitely apply before that. Good luck!

8 minutes ago, louise86 said:

I stand by my 1-2 months comment. In my experience most places that hire micro social workers move through the process pretty quickly to eliminate/reduce gaps in services for clients. I will concede if you are looking to be hired by the federal government or state (depending on your state and the position) then 1-2 months may not be enough lead time to get through the hiring process before graduation. 

If you feel that's too late for the type of job you want or the types of places you are applying to then definitely apply before that. Good luck!

Thank you for your feedback!

What was your experience? Did you apply 1-2 months before? If so, how soon did you begin your job after graduation?

• 4 months later...

1-2 months is what I recommend as well, definitely not more if you are looking for an entry level job in a social service agency (I do hiring in my current position and I would not hold a case manager position for longer than two months). In terms of getting hired at internships- I was approached by my supervisor and asked but I would recommend expressing interest now to your supervisor. Even if they don't have an opening if they know you are looking they will often point you in the direction of openings in other agencies if they hear of them. Focus on doing really well at your internship, being proactive and going above and beyond.

On 8/27/2017 at 9:55 AM, PurpleMSW said:

Thank you for your feedback!

What was your experience? Did you apply 1-2 months before? If so, how soon did you begin your job after graduation?

It was somewhere in between the 1 to 2 month mark that I started applying. My first job was at the agency I completed my first field placement in. I was offered an interview at the agency of my second field placement, but declined because I had already interviewed with the first agency and offered the job within a week. I started working the day after my graduation ceremony. :)

Both of these jobs were in community mental health which probably accounts for the quick hiring as clients are left without services and that means no billing takes place.