Hi everyone! I study history (so I'm usually over at the history subforum), focusing on Imperial and Late Imperial China. Most of the programs I'm applying to are history, but I will be applying to East Asian programs at Princeton and UPenn.

@lordtiandao Welcome to the group! I think we tend to be a pretty interdisciplinary bunch, so we're happy to have you join us.

@costevens Best of your luck with the GRE! Your date must be getting close. Took the test on Friday and I'm pretty excited that both my verbal and quant scores (unofficial, anyway) went up 4-5 points each. I was dreading having to go through it again, but was pleasantly surprised that (like the first time) the test went by really quickly. I found that it was plenty to keep me busy but I still had time to go back and check my answers. It's kind of nice that the writing is first so that you can get it out of the way, too. You'll do great I'm sure!! Easier said than done but try not to sweat it too much since, like others have said, it's not the be-all-end-all of your application!

Where's everyone else at on their apps? I've been procrastinating the SOP/resume parts but am working on them right now. My recommenders need to see them for sure...

Hi guys!! I've been stalking for awhile but wanted to ask for advice on applying to an MA! Actually intending on applying in 2018 but I can't stop thinking about this ;;

My stats: 

Undergrad: State school, honors college.

Major: International Studies w minor in Asian Studies

GPA: 3.7

Etc: Studied in Japan a semester in college, studied a summer in high school there too, member of United Nations club, International Relations club, Japanese club. Gives presentations on studying abroad in Asia to prospective students. Completed an 80 page honors undergrad thesis on Japanese rearmament after WWII. N3 in Japanese.

GREs: will be taking soon!

Professional experience: Intern doing research on east Asia for a university office. Currently intern at a major television network's Japanese Ops department, where I will continue freelancing for a few months after I graduate next month. 

I am applying to teach English on the JET program in Japan next year (I think I'll get it) and intend on applying for grad school from Japan. What I'm concerned about is my Japanese level! I want to pass the N2 next December, but I wouldn't be able to put my results for that on the applications since I wouldn't get it until after the deadlines. Do you think the N3 would not be an acceptable level? If it's too low then I am not opposed to waiting 2 years to apply with an N2 (or even N1!) level of fluency.

Hi @allichan!! Good luck with you GRE and the JET app! It's a long process...if you have any questions or want to talk about it feel free to ask (PM me if you like)! I did JET for 2 years :)

As for your Japanese levels...do you have any programs in mind that you're interested in? I would suggest looking at their requirements as that may vary. I've seen some programs that require a certain number of semesters/years of language study. JET would be a good opportunity to improve your language! But you've got some study already, at least, so I think that's a plus.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey EALC applicants!! How is everyone doing? Been quiet here lately. Deadline are starting to come up next week...I'm starting to freak out:blink:

For those of you here in the US, I hope you had a great Thanksgiving yesterday!

• 3 weeks later...

Please allow me to join this thread. Although I do not have much to offer, I would be more than happy to learn from current and past students, and use these role models to further improve myself. And, I am glad to have found this amazing forum!

I am also applying to grad school in EALC this year, but only to M.A. programs. My academic interests are highly esoteric and ancient. In fact, my research proposal is about a school of thought in the Warring States! And that's 2,500 years ago! Voilà!

Good luck everyone! Hope we will be in the same cohort. :)

Welcome @NaitoBaron !! Glad to have some action in here again.

Lots of deadlines coming up. I am hoping to have all of my apps in this week!

Hope everyone else is doing well and let us know what's up if you can! We will need something to keep ourselves busy while waiting for results;)

23 hours ago, NaitoBaron said:

Hi all! Does anyone have tips on how to apply for FLAS? Stanford sent it to me and it requires a separate personal statement and I have no clue what they look for. Please advise! 

Do you need to apply for it right now? You can apply for FLAS once you're enrolled in the program, so I didn't bother with it.

22 hours ago, lordtiandao said:

Do you need to apply for it right now? You can apply for FLAS once you're enrolled in the program, so I didn't bother with it.

Yes, it looks like they want incoming students to apply for it. Truth be told (please don't judge me), I hadn't even heard of its existence until after they sent me that email...

Edited by NaitoBaron

Hi Folks,

Hope everyone's applications are going well! I have turned in 7 thus far. I still have three more to go, but they're all due in Jan./Feb.

@NaitoBaron  Good to see you join the discussion! I'm interested in the warring states as well—although I'm focusing more on Six Dynasties and Tang/Song Dynasties. Glad to see another Chinese medievalist! On the subject of Stanford: I applied there as well and indicated that I was submitting an application for the FLAS, but I received no email from them. I, like @lordtiandao, was under the assumption that you didn't have to apply to the FLAS and actually submit their essay for a little while; however, I remember that someone said the deadline was in early January, so I'm going to check again to see what the deal is.

On another note, anyone applying to CU Boulder? I just received a nice email from them and have an interview next Thursday! Anyone have a similar experience? I wasn't expecting anything so soon... 

The deadline for the 2018-2019 cycle is January 29, 2018, I think. But there's always next year.

Edit: Okay, never mind. Deadline for FLAS is different depending on the school. January 29 is Berkeley's deadline, but Chicago is not until February 12.

Edited by lordtiandao

Thanks @costevens for the welcome! The email from Stanford addresses to "CEAS M.A. Program Applicant" (verbatim). I think Stanford has 2 MA programs, one is the MA in EAS in the Center for EAS (hence CEAS) and the other is the MA en passant to PhD (this one is not in CEAS), if I'm not mistaken. Anyone from Stanford please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not sure if the process for the FLAS is different for PhD students. Are you applying to the PhD at Stanford? I'm only applying to MA programs this year. And according to the email, the deadline for FLAS is Feb 16, 2018 for Stanford CEAS M.A. applicants, so yes, @lordtiandao, it looks like it differs depending on the school.

As for CU Boulder, I didn't know about it until a very kind PhD student told me about it, and by then it was too late. The deadline already passed for me. Good luck @costevens on your interview!

@lordtiandao That's what I came to the conclusion of. Seems most programs have separate deadlines for the FLAS—UC Berkeley's admissions committee even seems to select students for application to the FLAS. 

@NaitoBaron  I noticed Stanford had two separate programs. I'm pretty sure I applied to CEAS as well. I, too, am applying to just Master's programs.