Anyone know of any applied, clinically oriented master's programs in clinical psychology?

gradapps

Master's programs in clinical psych tend to be research-oriented and focused on preparing students for doctoral training. Is anyone aware of master's programs that are applied/terminal programs that allow you to become licensed as a professional counsellor or psychological associate? I know of one, which I am currently enrolled in but am curious to see  whether there any similar programs out there. Sidebar: I know that a master's in clinical mental health counselling is the alternative to clinical psychology programs for those who aren't interested in research; however, I'm focused on clinical psych programs that give you both the option of terminating or advancing to a phD. 

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 2:28 PM, gradapps said:

Sidebar: I know that a master's in clinical mental health counselling is the alternative to clinical psychology programs for those who aren't interested in research; however, I'm focused on clinical psych programs that give you both the option of terminating or advancing to a phD. 

Is the goal a PhD specific or a doctoral? Because a master's in clinical mental health counseling is a terminal degree for licensure, but it also lines students up nicely for the PhD Counseling or a PsyD (applied clinical doctoral). Unfortunately, CACREP, the Counseling for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs, is pushing to have clinical psychology programs re-labeled as clinical counseling ones. They want psychology and counseling separated as definitively different subsections. One of my masters programs had to do just this to gain accreditation. The department had to be a separate one entirely from the psych department.

Food for thought:  I would suggest adding in the doctoral/masters licensure requirements now if that is your end goal.  With that in mind, CACREP is more important down the road on your resume and for licensure (http://www.cacrep.org/value-of-accreditation/why-should-i-choose-an-accredited-program/). So even if you find a clinical psychology program, it may not qualify you for your license. You would have to take extra classes, add on more practicum/internship time, etc. Furthermore, in some states CACREP allows you to sit for the licensing exam as soon as you graduate. That allows you to take it when the material is fresh in your mind which is an advantage over non-CACREP students.

If you want to find a CACREP program, you can search here: http://www.cacrep.org/directory/