SSHRC Doctoral Award/CGS (funding for 2018-2019)

PsychBoy

4 hours ago, FacelessMage said:

I'm currently working on my application. This is my fourth time applying. I won the doctoral CGS two years ago, but had to decline because I wasn't admitted to a program. Hopefully I can make it work this year! 

Wow, the CGS! That's like the ultimate goal!

Now that you are in a program your chances are probably even better :)

Hi everyone,

I have googled this question and I have seen mixed answers, so I am wondering what you people have to say.

Is it unethical to present a paper at a student conference  if the same paper has been accepted by a journal for peer review?

I am asking this question in the context of the SHHRC CV. I am applying to SHHERC for the first time as an MA student; I don't have any publications or conferences yet and so I am trying to have one or two things done before I send my application.

Thank you!

2 hours ago, 2oua said:

Hi everyone,

I have googled this question and I have seen mixed answers, so I am wondering what you people have to say.

Is it unethical to present a paper at a student conference  if the same paper has been accepted by a journal for peer review?

I am asking this question in the context of the SHHRC CV. I am applying to SHHERC for the first time as an MA student; I don't have any publications or conferences yet and so I am trying to have one or two things done before I send my application.

Thank you!

I wouldn't say it's unethical. Also, was your paper accepted for publication or just "accepted" to be peer reviewed? Be careful when you write this down in your CV. If your manuscript is still under review, it hasn't been accepted yet. 

Also, you mentioned you are a new MA student...are you sure you should be applying to the doctoral competition? Again, be careful as this is the doctoral thread...

Edited by PsychBoy

Why is not unethical? Have you had this experience?

I wrote that it has been accepted to be peer reviewed...I was clear on this. You can mention in your CV that is under review but not published.

MA's going into a PhD program in 2018 can apply to SSHRC.

Thanks!

18 minutes ago, 2oua said:

Why is not unethical? Have you had this experience?

I wrote that it has been accepted to be peer reviewed...I was clear on this. You can mention in your CV that is under review but not published.

MA's going into a PhD program in 2018 can apply to SSHRC.

Thanks!

Ok, it wasn't clear if you were an MA in your first or second year. 

What CV are you talking about though? There's no CV (like the CCV) part of the application...

Well, I guess you can disseminate findings both through an oral presentation and a paper, especially given that your paper hasn't been published yet. The conference is like the first time you present it to a small audience and, later, with the publication, you disseminate it fully to the whole world. It would be bizarre if you were to present the same talk over and over at conferences or written down that you submitted the same manuscript to two different journals.

Most published articles are presented in some form or another before they end up printed. If you present a draft of the paper, it is customary to include a footnote thanking your audience in the final version of your article.

It's also totally acceptable to present a published paper at a conference. Because so much is published online these days, your conference audience may end up larger than the audience for your published article.

What IS unethical, however, is passing off an article under review as being "accepted" by a journal. It is not accepted because it is under review, as the vast majority of reviewed articles are rejected by journals.

Also, if your paper is under review at a student journal, be honest about that - getting caught passing off a student journal as a regular journal is bad.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my referees is having trouble answering all of SSHRC's questions within the one-page limit for the Letter of Appraisal. He's wondering if he can append a second page or if that will incur wrath and fury. Unfortunately I think I have to tell him that no, he can't add a second page. Any insights on this?

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, eternallyephemeral said:

Has anyone heard back about being forwarded to Ottawa? Our university deadline was this past week, but I wasn't notified (which could mean they haven't told anyone, or it could mean I didn't make it, of course).

haven't heard anything...

I've been forwarded to Ottawa for Vanier SSHRC though so I'm kinda expecting to be forwarded for doctoral SSHRC? Just trying to convince myself they haven't told anyone yet lol

anyone heard anything?

So I went to my grad program person and while speaking to her, I realized that I misunderstood the university deadline as the day the university sends them to Ottawa, instead of its real meaning, the day the departments send their picks to the university. So duhhhhh.

I was told that I was forwarded to that level, but that our school won't hear back from the university until near the beginning of the winter break. In case anyone's wondering.

5 hours ago, eternallyephemeral said:

So I went to my grad program person and while speaking to her, I realized that I misunderstood the university deadline as the day the university sends them to Ottawa, instead of its real meaning, the day the departments send their picks to the university. So duhhhhh.

I was told that I was forwarded to that level, but that our school won't hear back from the university until near the beginning of the winter break. In case anyone's wondering.

thanks! so it's normal we haven't heard yet? 

16 hours ago, PsychBoy said:

thanks! so it's normal we haven't heard yet? 

Apparently, it's normal we wouldn't hear back about Ottawa yet. However, your school might do things differently from the department to the university level. For mine, we were not notified if we did go through to the next stage, and we were notified if we didn't make it to the university level.

But then it switches, and you are notified from university to Ottawa, and presumably not notified if you don't make it to Ottawa.

So I have made it through the department to the university, but I didn't know, because I didn't hear anything.

Confusing system, right?

5 hours ago, eternallyephemeral said:

Apparently, it's normal we wouldn't hear back about Ottawa yet. However, your school might do things differently from the department to the university level. For mine, we were not notified if we did go through to the next stage, and we were notified if we didn't make it to the university level.

But then it switches, and you are notified from university to Ottawa, and presumably not notified if you don't make it to Ottawa.

So I have made it through the department to the university, but I didn't know, because I didn't hear anything.

Confusing system, right?

Horrible system! They should let everyone know about all decisions at every step :)

16 hours ago, PsychBoy said:

Horrible system! They should let everyone know about all decisions at every step :)

You would think that makes sense!

I'm trying not to fret about it for at least 1.5 months, because I was told we typically don't hear until the break.

13 hours ago, eternallyephemeral said:

You would think that makes sense!

I'm trying not to fret about it for at least 1.5 months, because I was told we typically don't hear until the break.

Let me know if you hear anything--thanks!

On 11/11/2017 at 12:38 PM, PsychBoy said:

haven't heard anything...

I've been forwarded to Ottawa for Vanier SSHRC though so I'm kinda expecting to be forwarded for doctoral SSHRC? Just trying to convince myself they haven't told anyone yet lol

anyone heard anything?

They're two separate competitions and unfortunately it doesn't mean you get forwarded the Vanier, you will get forwarded SSHRC. A previous Vanier winner at our department had her SSHRC application rejected even though she won Vanier! I guess it depends on who is reviewing your application.

I feel Vanier actually gives a lot more leeway because of the generous font/margin requirements and reviewers can assess you holistically based on leadership and research contributions - you can really make your personality shine depending on how you write the application. SSHRC is based on grades, referee letters, then the strength of your proposal. Not much to flesh out in terms of your personality.

10 hours ago, CrazyPugLady said:

They're two separate competitions and unfortunately it doesn't mean you get forwarded the Vanier, you will get forwarded SSHRC. A previous Vanier winner at our department had her SSHRC application rejected even though she won Vanier! I guess it depends on who is reviewing your application.

I feel Vanier actually gives a lot more leeway because of the generous font/margin requirements and reviewers can assess you holistically based on leadership and research contributions - you can really make your personality shine depending on how you write the application. SSHRC is based on grades, referee letters, then the strength of your proposal. Not much to flesh out in terms of your personality.

yeah i know it doesn't mean anything :(

Has anyone applying independently or at a foreign school heard back from SSHRC about receipt of their application yet? I'm at the University of Michigan, and sent mine in Nov. 4th. I was expecting to at least get a notification that they had received it, but so far nothing.