SSHRC Doctoral Award/CGS (funding for 2018-2019)

PsychBoy

7 hours ago, Comparativist said:

If you are applying to phd programs this cycle, were you even eligible to enter?

yes you can

but my concern is the US versus Canadian schools?

10 hours ago, Comparativist said:

If you are applying to phd programs this cycle, were you even eligible to enter?

Yes, why wouldn't I be? 

3 hours ago, PsychBoy said:

yes you can

but my concern is the US versus Canadian schools?

I think that SSHRC definitely looks for some relevancy to Canada in proposals, and it does get harder once you're actually attending a US school, but the funding is for Canadians and the award is tenable at any accredited university, including international ones. You can't use the CGS (35k) abroad but you just downgrade and take the Doctoral award.

@ttwi It was dated Feb 15 and I got the letter on Tuesday north of Toronto. The preselection committee received 538 applications and put forward 246.

3 hours ago, smallaxe said:

Yes, why wouldn't I be? 

I always thought that if you were in a combined MA/PhD program, you had to wait until you were actually in the program (i.e. Fall of first year) to apply.

• If you are or will be registered in a combined MA/PhD, fast-track (accelerating from a master’s program into a doctoral program without obtaining the master’s degree) or direct-entry PhD program, you may be eligible to apply for a CGS Master’s Scholarship provided you have completed between zero and 12 months of graduate-level study by December 31 of the year of application. 
  • If you are currently registered in a combined MA/PhD, fast-track or direct-entry PhD program, and have or will have completed more than 12 months of graduate-level study by December 31 of the year of application, you can only apply to the doctoral awards funding opportunity."

But it's not really worded very well. It doesn't say if the applicant is ineligible or not.

Anyways, I guess this means we will all be receiving letters to notify us if we made it to the second round or not soon.

Edited by Comparativist

41 minutes ago, Comparativist said:

I always thought that if you were in a combined MA/PhD program, you had to wait until you were actually in the program (i.e. Fall of first year) to apply.

• If you are or will be registered in a combined MA/PhD, fast-track (accelerating from a master’s program into a doctoral program without obtaining the master’s degree) or direct-entry PhD program, you may be eligible to apply for a CGS Master’s Scholarship provided you have completed between zero and 12 months of graduate-level study by December 31 of the year of application. 
  • If you are currently registered in a combined MA/PhD, fast-track or direct-entry PhD program, and have or will have completed more than 12 months of graduate-level study by December 31 of the year of application, you can only apply to the doctoral awards funding opportunity."

But it's not really worded very well. It doesn't say if the applicant is ineligible or not.

Anyways, I guess this means we will all be receiving letters to notify us if we made it to the second round or not soon.

isn't it only for direct applicants? 

I got an email from my university...

9 minutes ago, PsychBoy said:

I got an email from my university...

I don't know. Looking at the review procedure, there's a selection process where they eliminate a bunch of applications (for everyone) before the final review stage. I reckon this is why the OP got cut, because I got a letter a couple of months ago stating I was forwarded to the national competition as a direct applicant. 

53 minutes ago, Comparativist said:

I don't know. Looking at the review procedure, there's a selection process where they eliminate a bunch of applications (for everyone) before the final review stage. I reckon this is why the OP got cut, because I got a letter a couple of months ago stating I was forwarded to the national competition as a direct applicant. 

wow so many steps and letters...

4 hours ago, Comparativist said:

always thought that if you were in a combined MA/PhD program, you had to wait until you were actually in the program (i.e. Fall of first year) to apply.

All of that says that you can apply to CGS Masters if you're heading towards a MA/PhD program (e.g. just finished undergrad) or are in your first few months. If you've already been enrolled for a year, you must apply to SSHRC doctoral... I already have an MA so wouldn't be eligible for CGS-M.

4 hours ago, PsychBoy said:

Yes. SSHRC applications are divided into an A list and a B list - As are forwarded, Bs are not. For enrolled students, this is done at the university level. For direct applicants it's done by a pre selection committee. If your university told you you've been forwarded to the national competition then your app will be adjudicated to receive SSHRC. If you don't hear anything from SSHRC as a direct applicant, you'll also be adjudicated.

Hey guys, quick question from a potential applicant. 

Do institutions have specific allocations for the doctoral CGS? I know they have a certain number they can forward, but once in the national competition are there limits of how many per school can receive the award?

Question, you can apply to this thing throughout your PhD? or is there a specific moment that you are no longer eligible to get the SSHRC?

27 minutes ago, AFRH said:

Question, you can apply to this thing throughout your PhD? or is there a specific moment that you are no longer eligible to get the SSHRC?

If you look under this heading, you will see at which points you become ineligible for SSHRC Doctoral and CGS.

Hi everyone! 

I was looking at last year’s award winners and realized that a few people took CGS-D ($105,000) to US universities. Any thoughts on that? 

I’ve been accepted to a PhD program in NYC and if there’s a way I can get $35k/year it would be a life-saver. 

Good luck to everyone! 

12 hours ago, PsycUndergrad said:

Hey guys, quick question from a potential applicant. 

Do institutions have specific allocations for the doctoral CGS? I know they have a certain number they can forward, but once in the national competition are there limits of how many per school can receive the award?

good question...

probably no limits...

For the Vanier there's a quota per university for the nomination and then no limits for the winners so it's likely the same process? 

On 2017-10-04 at 5:20 PM, PsychBoy said:

I wouldn't say it's unethical. Also, was your paper accepted for publication or just "accepted" to be peer reviewed? Be careful when you write this down in your CV. If your manuscript is still under review, it hasn't been accepted yet. 

Also, you mentioned you are a new MA student...are you sure you should be applying to the doctoral competition? Again, be careful as this is the doctoral thread...

Hello, do you know if you need a LOR for leadership for this one? Or do the two LOR have to be from professors?

9 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Hello, do you know if you need a LOR for leadership for this one? Or do the two LOR have to be from professors?

For the regular SSHRC doctoral you need two faculty members to complete a short PDF with specific instructions (like a normal LOR). There is no leadership component to this application. 

On 2018-02-25 at 1:30 AM, PsychBoy said:

good question...

probably no limits...

For the Vanier there's a quota per university for the nomination and then no limits for the winners so it's likely the same process? 

Quota for nominees = max limit of winners

11 minutes ago, DataCrusader said:

Quota for nominees = max limit of winners

no limit of winners per university (but quota for nominations per university) 

for instance McGill could nominate 100 applicants but then it doesn't mean that SSHRC will only allow 20 of those to win the national competition (all 100s could win technically) 

of course there is a limited number of overall winners 

Edited by PsychBoy

10 minutes ago, DataCrusader said:

Also, any news on the “end of March” vs “end of April”?? I would love to think we’re only a couple weeks away from results now!

Vanier is end of March so I don't see how regular SSHRC could be before April...

On 3/6/2018 at 12:09 AM, DataCrusader said:

Also, any news on the “end of March” vs “end of April”?? I would love to think we’re only a couple weeks away from results now!

It's the end of April. When I won in 2016, the letter was dated April 25. Depending on your university, you may find out earlier in April from the powers that be at your school (they usually get some sort of list before award letters go out to applicants from SSHRC). 

16 minutes ago, FacelessMage said:

It's the end of April. When I won in 2016, the letter was dated April 25. Depending on your university, you may find out earlier in April from the powers that be at your school (they usually get some sort of list before award letters go out to applicants from SSHRC). 

Thanks!