SSHRC Doctoral Award/CGS (funding for 2018-2019)

PsychBoy

On 4/19/2018 at 2:53 AM, Plunk said:

Hey everyone! 

I emailed SSHRC a few weeks ago and this is what they said: 

"The results will be mailed the last week of April 2018 by mail only". So guess everyone should double check what address they wrote on the application! Good luck everyone! 

Thanks for doing this! Really appreciate it :)

Man, I feel like such a pest asking the graduate services at my school - but I seriously gotta know as soon as I can as a job offer (full-time in the public service) is contingent on whether or not I win SSHRC. It's already a bust for Vanier since I got waitlisted, but there's still restrictions on work should I win the SSHRC. Ugh. :(

I know. This waiting is crazy. Looking back through several years I think the earliest we could expect results (in the form of early notification directly from our universities) would be hearing back Weds, Thurs or Fri of this week. 

Out of curiosity, for those of you who were looking to the Michael Smith application as an indication of results . . . Are you looking directly below the "New Application" itself on the first page that comes up, or are you taking as an indicator whether or not it comes up after clicking on that link? Thanks for the clarification.

29 minutes ago, DataCrusader said:

For people in the past (or from this cycle perhaps) who heard news pre-SSHRC letter from your grad studies office, did you contact the office directly or did they initiate contact with you?

I was in contact with people at Carleton. The people seem to be nicer to doctoral students than MAs. But keep in mind they just recovered from a strike like a month ago.

The contact person said that I would likely know the results beforehand before they do. So at this point I will just stop asking them and be patient.

6 hours ago, JimBob1 said:

Out of curiosity, for those of you who were looking to the Michael Smith application as an indication of results . . . Are you looking directly below the "New Application" itself on the first page that comes up, or are you taking as an indicator whether or not it comes up after clicking on that link? Thanks for the clarification.

I haven't heard back from SSHRC yet but am curious - does anyone know how successful letters are worded at the beginning? Do they begin with a "we are pleased to inform you..." or a "congratulations..." and what does an unsuccessful letter begin with?

39 minutes ago, RainDays said:

I haven't heard back from SSHRC yet but am curious - does anyone know how successful letters are worded at the beginning? Do they begin with a "we are pleased to inform you..." or a "congratulations..." and what does an unsuccessful letter begin with?

Haha, good, keeping the physical proof of my failure last year is good for something. So, unsuccessful (but waitlist) letter starts like:

Dear NAME: I am writing on behalf of the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) to advise you of the outcome of your application to the 2017 Doctoral Awards competition. I regret to inform your that your application was not among those award funding this year's competition. Although the Council is not able to offer you an award at this time, your application was deemed of high enough quality for your name to be placed on a waiting list... blah blah blah information about scoring/my score

2 hours ago, Jaysmom said:

Does anyone know if institutions know your results yet? ?? Will we know when SSHRC mails the letters? I haven't seen any tweets yet!

Not sure about institutions, but SSHRC usually tweets when the results are mailed. Last year, that was on Wednesday, April 26th (at precisely 2:10 PM, haha) - so might be today or tomorrow.

9 hours ago, RainDays said:

Don't know if it's totally the same, but my Vanier letter starts like this: 

Dear X:

I am pleased to inform you that you have been selected as one of the recipients of the 2017-2018 Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) awarded by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC).

11 hours ago, lore said:

Haha, good, keeping the physical proof of my failure last year is good for something. So, unsuccessful (but waitlist) letter starts like:

Dear NAME: I am writing on behalf of the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) to advise you of the outcome of your application to the 2017 Doctoral Awards competition. I regret to inform your that your application was not among those award funding this year's competition. Although the Council is not able to offer you an award at this time, your application was deemed of high enough quality for your name to be placed on a waiting list... blah blah blah information about scoring/my score

Thanks for this! I am trying to mentally prepare for a rejection and knowing what they might say in advance helps a lot!! 

There are only 3 mail days left in April, so hopefully if we are really supposed to receive our letters by the end of month, they would go out by today.  I think it can take up to a week for delivery. 

25 minutes ago, TBay said:

There are only 3 mail days left in April, so hopefully if we are really supposed to receive our letters by the end of month, they would go out by today.  I think it can take up to a week for delivery. 

Last year my letter didn't arrive until May 5th (Toronto), so I wouldn't get your hopes up on them going out today. They only claim that they are mailed in late April, not received (unfortunately for us). 

37 minutes ago, elodie said:

Last year my letter didn't arrive until May 5th (Toronto), so I wouldn't get your hopes up on them going out today. They only claim that they are mailed in late April, not received (unfortunately for us). 

That's what I was thinking.  So it could be mailed as late as Monday the 30th. 

8 hours ago, PsychBoy said:

Don't know if it's totally the same, but my Vanier letter starts like this: 

Dear X:

I am pleased to inform you that you have been selected as one of the recipients of the 2017-2018 Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) awarded by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC).

They're similar although the SSHRC doctoral awards start with a whole blurb about how they've completed the assessment of your application and they are pleased to tell you that you were successful (and get funding). 

Final Friday in April, just like last year. Anyone else away from home for an extended period? I won't see my mailbox again until mid-August, likely have to write to my FGS research office to voluntarily seek out my rejection, lol.

I hope they put these past 4 months to good use!!

Good luck everyone!

Capture.PNG

How is it that SSHRC has just sent out the results today, but some applicants have already heard the results...? Or were these just the results for the Vanier scholarship?

Edited by turkergirl
I added more detail

Have people heard today? It looks like they won't mail the official letters out until tomorrow. It's possible that students are hearing from their institutions because they often get it a day before or the day letters are sent out. 

52 minutes ago, turkergirl said:

How is it that SSHRC has just sent out the results today, but some applicants have already heard the results...? Or were these just the results for the Vanier scholarship?

It's possible that you are referring to both MA CGS's and Vanier results since they are already sent out. I wouldn't be surprised if applicants start hearing tomorrow from their institutions as in the past, the institutions might have them before the letters actually end up at your door, but who knows really.