SSHRC Doctoral Award/CGS (funding for 2018-2019)

PsychBoy

33 minutes ago, lithicboi said:

Today I heard of a workaround to see if an application was successful before we get the physical letters.

On the SSHRC Portal after you log in, under the "create new form" link, there is the option to apply for the "Canada Graduate Scholarships - Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplements" grant. Only CGS holders are eligible to apply to this grant. Therefore, its presence should indicate that an application was successful.

We can test this theory out if there are applicants who it does not appear for. Can everyone please check their profiles for this grant?

Would this work around only apply to those who applied for the Michael Smith at the time of their original application?

17 minutes ago, Gnath said:

Would this work around only apply to those who applied for the Michael Smith at the time of their original application?

FROM THE SITE: The Canada Graduate Scholarships – Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplements Program is available to Canadian citizens or permanent residents who hold a Joseph-Armand Bombardier, an Alexander Graham Bell, or a Frederick Banting and Charles Best Canada Graduate Scholarship (CGS) at the master’s or doctoral level, or a Vanier CGS at the doctoral level.

Damn, I don't see it in my portal. The heartbreak starts early. <--- it is available on my portal but I had to load it thru the michael smith SSHRC app page then log in and it showed up.

Edited by UnlikelyGrad4
I WAS WRONG - I have it in my file too, so I'm unsure if it has any meaning

8 minutes ago, UnlikelyGrad4 said:

FROM THE SITE: The Canada Graduate Scholarships – Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplements Program is available to Canadian citizens or permanent residents who hold a Joseph-Armand Bombardier, an Alexander Graham Bell, or a Frederick Banting and Charles Best Canada Graduate Scholarship (CGS) at the master’s or doctoral level, or a Vanier CGS at the doctoral level.

Damn, I don't see it in my portal. The heartbreak starts early. 

Right.  But on my institution's FGSR site, we were supposed to complete the application alongside our SSHRC application?  I think?  Because I didn't pay any attention because I was't planning on being eligible.  

I don't see it in my portal either :( so I am grasping.

I also see the CGS Michael Smith form on my portal as an available form, so it remains unclear if this theory is correct. Old Rene's theory above seems useful if anyone has friends who didn't make it to the national round who would be willing to confirm : ) 

As much as this seems like a logical idea, I looked at the threads of previous years and this was never mentioned as a way of circumventing the mail process and using it as an early indicator. I am also saying this because I do not see the Michael Smith Foreign Supplement on my profile, so I may be biased haha. Another question I ask... my proposal is focused on research in Canada, and in my application I did not fill out the "Joint or Special Initiative" section which an applicant would do if they are pursuing the Michael Smith Foreign Supplement. Is everyone who is seeing this on their profile now pursuing research that would take them outside of Canada? Or at the very least filled out this section of the application? 

5 minutes ago, SocsciorDie said:

As much as this seems like a logical idea, I looked at the threads of previous years and this was never mentioned as a way of circumventing the mail process and using it as an early indicator. I am also saying this because I do not see the Michael Smith Foreign Supplement on my profile, so I may be biased haha. Another question I ask... my proposal is focused on research in Canada, and in my application I did not fill out the "Joint or Special Initiative" section which an applicant would do if they are pursuing the Michael Smith Foreign Supplement. Is everyone who is seeing this on their profile now pursuing research that would take them outside of Canada? Or at the very least filled out this section of the application? 

My proposal is based Canada, but I included different geographic regions in the drop down menus for archives.

5 minutes ago, SocsciorDie said:

I did not apply for a joint of special initiative, nor fill out an early Micahel Smith Foreign Supplement application. Also, it doesn't appear on my profile at first, but when I click "create new form", it brings me to a link where it is listed as an available form. Who knows though.

6 minutes ago, elodie said:

I did not apply for a joint of special initiative, nor fill out an early Micahel Smith Foreign Supplement application. Also, it doesn't appear on my profile at first, but when I click "create new form", it brings me to a link where it is listed as an available form. Who knows though.

This is the same for me. I didn't fill out the Michael Smith application on the original application but it is showing up for me. Really hard to say if this is indicative of anything or not.

This is thread was fun and informative up until this point. Now its just dangerous haha. I'm going to find a dark hole to crawl into until the letters come.

I also did not apply for any supplemental funding, but I am applying as an external (usa) student and my research focuses on the usa. I do see the form in my account, but am also skeptical about all this (mostly because I don't want dissapointment).

25 minutes ago, SocsciorDie said:

This idea was discussed in the 2012 doctoral SSHRC thread:

The foreign supplement now shows up for me when I log-on in the Masters/Doctoral link provided in one of the comments. I don't think there is any merit to this now as it didn't show up when I had been signing in for grants/ etc. So for everyone panicking, make sure you are signing into the right portal!

Edited by SocsciorDie
Change

I have it too. Not to discourage anyone - but I don’t think it means anything to see the option to apply for the supplement. 

I’m pretty sure I had it last year too and I was waitlisted. So, don’t take it too seriously if it’s not there. 

Also: in terms of research - there is literally no way I can do my research anywhere but a very small specific area of Canada, so I don’t think that it matters if you specified regions outside of Canada either. 

Edited by lore
Added info about location

I looked around the 2012 thread a bit. Someone who was awarded a CGS Doctoral Scholarship was not able to view the Michael Smith Foreign Supplement application form. Another student who was awarded a SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship was able to view the Michael Smith Foreign Supplement application form. 

...so seems unlikely that being able to view the application is an indication of being awarded a CGS.

3 hours ago, SocsciorDie said:

This is thread was fun and informative up until this point. Now its just dangerous haha. I'm going to find a dark hole to crawl into until the letters come.

Same. 

17 hours ago, lithicboi said:

This idea was discussed in the 2012 doctoral SSHRC thread:

Thanks for posting this. If your read the post, the workaround above doesn't hold. There's one person (dccp) who could see the Michael Smith Foreign Supplement and didn't get the Award/Scholarship and one (checkeredBlanket) who could not see it and actually got the award. So try to relax people and good luck! 

19 hours ago, SocsciorDie said:

So I've had access to this application since April 9th, the day official applications for the travel fund are available, so I asked my colleague who didn't get passed on to SSHRC to check if they had access and they did. So it is definitely not a loophole. Anyone, whether you are sent to the national competition or not, has access to the application. So I suggest keeping yourself busy and waiting patiently, even though I know it's tough! XX 

I see "accepted invitations" and "final research report" which I think have been there all along.  I don't know if I'm looking in the right place for sure.  But I agree, it seems like the workaround would not work, primarily because it is a foreign supplement, and I wonder why would it be attached to an application for someone who won't need that?  I do see the Michael Smith form as well, and I do have a part of my research that would be overseas.  But given the above and the fact it is showing up for people who have no foreign study indicators, I don't think the workaround holds.  

Edited by TBay
added info

I wonder if this form can be accessed by everyone, but you have to access it by going to the page for this supplement.  Since it says that this application period begins April 9th, would the decisions have even been made when this form appears?  Personally, I won't be expecting that this has anything to do with the decision until I see a letter confirming.  It's too easy to get your hopes up or crushed when it is likely wrong.

EDIT  ** The Michael Smith looks like it is a Masters CGS supplement, not a supplement for Doctoral students. 

Edited by TBay
new information

18 hours ago, TBay said:

I wonder if this form can be accessed by everyone, but you have to access it by going to the page for this supplement.  Since it says that this application period begins April 9th, would the decisions have even been made when this form appears?  Personally, I won't be expecting that this has anything to do with the decision until I see a letter confirming.  It's too easy to get your hopes up or crushed when it is likely wrong.

EDIT  ** The Michael Smith looks like it is a Masters CGS supplement, not a supplement for Doctoral students. 

As I wrote previously, students who haven't even been sent to the doctoral SSHRC competition from their institutions still have access to the Michael Smith supplement, so it is definitely not attached to any form of results.