SSHRC Doctoral Award/CGS (funding for 2018-2019)

PsychBoy

3 hours ago, InTheRabbitHole said:

I am also a uvic student. I emailed Yvonne Rondeau @ scholoff@uvic.ca   and she let me know my results within an hour. I'm not sure if it is too late today but it is worth a try. Best of luck. I know they forwarded 46 of us to the national competition. :)

Thank you! Ya, I bit the bullet and e-mailed her as well and I was waitlisted also. I was waitlisted last year too, so I'm disappointed but hopefully I'm higher on the list this time. 

2 hours ago, PhDough said:

Hello everyone and congrats to those who already have their successful results. Anyone hear from SFU hear today about results? I'm trying not to get ahead of myself or read anything into it, I did not email SFU's office today though as their correspondence about the application advancing through last January did specify I'd find out via regular mail. 

I am from SFU as well and did not hear anything. I emailed grad studies around 2pm to see if they could tell me the results, but they didn't respond. I am not aware of anyone in my department that heard back from grad studies so I think they just haven't sent out the results yet. I know in previous years that grad studies has emailed applicants before they received the results in the mail so  hopefully we hear Monday!! 

Results are out! So exciting! Why snail mail? I heard that they are sending emails to those who have not received the award, and paper to those who have won. Can anyone confirm this? I still haven't heard back from UBC. Has anyone emailed with a reply from them?

Edited by Bmay

52 minutes ago, Bmay said:

Results are out! So exciting! Why snail mail? I heard that they are sending emails to those who have not received the award, and paper to those who have won. Can anyone confirm this? I still haven't heard back from UBC. Has anyone emailed with a reply from them?

I heard from UBC yesterday. The admin person in my department sent me an email about my result. 

16 hours ago, xyz987 said:

I am from SFU as well and did not hear anything. I emailed grad studies around 2pm to see if they could tell me the results, but they didn't respond. I am not aware of anyone in my department that heard back from grad studies so I think they just haven't sent out the results yet. I know in previous years that grad studies has emailed applicants before they received the results in the mail so  hopefully we hear Monday!! 

Very helpful, thanks, hopefully they'll put us out of our misery one way or the other!

Oh my god I just got the three-year, 35k SSHRC! I didn't expect to make it anywhere this time (first try), so I'm super honoured and lucky.

Anyone else at Western can try to check their student account (click external scholarships) - I haven't checked the mail but it's unlikely to have shown up that fast. The option to accept or decline is already there on the site.

Still waiting for word here (usask)  for those who didn’t get it I understand the disappointment. I ran numbers after I was forwarded to national this year and for my school Being forwarded to national still only is a 17% chance of getting one. It is no real reflection on you or your ability. It is per my one friend a total lotto of chance. 

As to those waitlisted I do know people (not me lol) who got it (ma level) in previous years. 

Feels like  a long weekend of waiting knowing that some know and some of us don’t. 

35 minutes ago, Kraven said:

Still waiting for word here (usask)  for those who didn’t get it I understand the disappointment. I ran numbers after I was forwarded to national this year and for my school Being forwarded to national still only is a 17% chance of getting one. It is no real reflection on you or your ability. It is per my one friend a total lotto of chance. 

As to those waitlisted I do know people (not me lol) who got it (ma level) in previous years. 

Feels like  a long weekend of waiting knowing that some know and some of us don’t. 

What are the figures you've been given re: total amount of applications forwarded to national compared to total applicants awarded?

Thanks

Kraven I am waiting here from USask too! Good luck.

Does anyone know how the mail is packaged? Does a small letter mean a rejection and a big brown one mean an acceptance? I am mentally preparing for my rejection hahaha. 

Edited by ButterTurtle

For all those waiting impatiently until Monday for your school to get back to you...

Be comforted by the knowledge that at least you're not a direct applicant in the US who a) cannot be put out of her misery by a scholarships office with advance notice, AND b) has to wait extra long for international mail to arrive.

*Sob!*

Does SSHRC indicate waitlist placement on the snail mail notification of competition results, or is that something that I would need to email and request? If so, to what email address should that inquiry be directed? Additionally, does any one know at what point SSHRC will officially release the names of recipients? Thanks!

SSHRC will indicate if you’ve been waitlisted :) How many people received word from their school...without contacting your school (excluding those who were notified because they needed to decline in order to receive another award)? Hoping that not hearing from my school on Friday is not an indicator of an unsuccessful result ?

Edited by How’d_I_get_here!
Spelling error

19 minutes ago, How’d_I_get_here! said:

SSHRC will indicate if you’ve been waitlisted :) How many people received word from their school...without contacting your school (excluding those who were notified because they needed to decline in order to receive another award)? Hoping that not hearing from my school on Friday is not an indicator of an unsuccessful result ?

I hadn’t heard from my school, but then got a congratulatory email from my dean today... He didn’t have any specifics, but no email isn’t necessarily bad news! 

9 minutes ago, Cha.rlotte said:

I hadn’t heard from my school, but then got a congratulatory email from my dean today... He didn’t have any specifics, but no email isn’t necessarily bad news! 

Nice! What school are you from?

Edited by JimBob1

6 hours ago, elodie said:

What are the figures you've been given re: total amount of applications forwarded to national compared to total applicants awarded?

Thanks

I found the figures on sshrc’s Website  last year 30 were forwarded and 5 received at usask 

Hi all, again - This is somewhat related to scholarships:

Does anyone know if you can leverage your doctoral awards to gain acceptance into a phd program you haven't applied for? Or is it generally the practice that once applications are closed, they're closed. 

Thanks in advance!

59 minutes ago, UnlikelyGrad4 said:

Hi all, again - This is somewhat related to scholarships:

Does anyone know if you can leverage your doctoral awards to gain acceptance into a phd program you haven't applied for? Or is it generally the practice that once applications are closed, they're closed. 

Thanks in advance!

I've definitely heard of people who got rejected/waitlisted from a program using a successful award application to get into that program. Not sure if it's possible when you haven't actually applied, though.

12 minutes ago, fmlfmlfml said:

I've definitely heard of people who got rejected/waitlisted from a program using a successful award application to get into that program. Not sure if it's possible when you haven't actually applied, though.

Thanks! Good to know. I truly didn't think I would receive any significant awards, so I only applied to my local uni. 

Edited by UnlikelyGrad4
added details.