SSHRC Doctoral Award/CGS (funding for 2018-2019)

PsychBoy

17 hours ago, TEllis said:

Just out of curiosity, has anybody from UManitoba been contacted that may be lurking in the shadows of this thread?

I'm at Univ. of Winnipeg. I had emailed my grad studies office, and it doesn't appear like they are in a rush to get back to me with any information. Still nothing in the mailbox. I would expect something around Thursday. 

7 minutes ago, SocsciorDie said:

I'm at Univ. of Winnipeg. I had emailed my grad studies office, and it doesn't appear like they are in a rush to get back to me with any information. Still nothing in the mailbox. I would expect something around Thursday. 

The Awards Officer at UManitoba did respond, they said to wait for the letter. So the wait continues.

1 hour ago, ttwi said:

Waiting (im)patiently in New York! Have any direct applicants in the U.S. received their letter?

New York direct applicant here! Got my letter yesterday, which is rather shocking how quickly it arrived (US and all). Waitlisted. The letter was dated April 26. 

I just received an email from my university at 12:18, notifying me that I've received a doctoral SSHRC.

Didn't make it to nationals last year, with 1 first author pub and 3 international presentations as an MA student. I had a very similar project proposal this time around, but two pubs, 5 presentations, and a few more research awards.

Hang in there, everyone! Best of luck to those still waiting or are planning on reapplying!

6 minutes ago, YuzuCat said:

I just received an email from my university at 12:18, notifying me that I've received a doctoral SSHRC.

Didn't make it to nationals last year, with 1 first author pub and 3 international presentations as an MA student. I had a very similar project proposal this time around, but two pubs, 5 presentations, and a few more research awards.

Hang in there, everyone! Best of luck to those still waiting or are planning on reapplying!

Me toooooo!!! They just emailed. Although, they didn't specify which award and now I'm dying to know! 

While I heard back from York yesterday, I was too paranoid to accept the result until I received the letter. The letter came to North York today!

I have been awarded a Bombardier CGS! Score was 14.7 in the social work committee. I have 2 journal articles, 1 book chapter, and 4 conference presentations.

This whole thing is a crapshoot, and I suggest that folks not give up. This is my third time applying (direct entry + year 1). Last year I received a score of 12.6 with 2 journal articles, 2 conference presentations. The year before a 9.6 with 1 journal article and 1 conference presentation. 

The Grad Office at The University of Winnipeg just notified me that my application was successful, but didn't specify between the Bombardier Scholarship or Doctoral Fellowship. I am still finishing my Master's and will be starting my PhD at Waterloo in the fall. Is anyone familiar with the steps that need to be taken in order to have the award paid through a different university than the one that I applied through?

2 hours ago, PhDough said:

Oh, you are both SFU. Congrats! I haven't heard by now, so I'm assuming I didn't receive one. This is pretty hard to take, to be honest. 

Are you from SFU too? When I spoke to DGS, they mentioned that they're emailing everyone. If you're from another university, maybe your grad office isn't the type to notify applicants.

29 minutes ago, YuzuCat said:

Are you from SFU too? When I spoke to DGS, they mentioned that they're emailing everyone. If you're from another university, maybe your grad office isn't the type to notify applicants.

Really?! Oh dear. I've been killing my refresh button since 11am but I never received an email from SFU be it DGS, or grad awards, and my supervisor hasn't heard either. This is so bizarre! Maybe they only did successful applicants today and are doing the rest later? I'm currently in 2nd year PhD here at SFU. 

12 minutes ago, PhDough said:

Really?! Oh dear. I've been killing my refresh button since 11am but I never received an email from SFU be it DGS, or grad awards, and my supervisor hasn't heard either. This is so bizarre! Maybe they only did successful applicants today and are doing the rest later? I'm currently in 2nd year PhD here at SFU. 

Maybe they're waiting to see how many waitlisted folks are bumped up from Vanier. My incoming supervisor didn't know, and our grad secretary said that they weren't going to release any results. Might be good to visit DGS in person tomorrow - maybe they'll be more forthcoming with your application that way.

15 minutes ago, YuzuCat said:

Maybe they're waiting to see how many waitlisted folks are bumped up from Vanier. My incoming supervisor didn't know, and our grad secretary said that they weren't going to release any results. Might be good to visit DGS in person tomorrow - maybe they'll be more forthcoming with your application that way.

I was wondering this too. I did email grad awards on Friday, but there's been no response. It honestly sounds like a huge mess, all these people saying different things. I appreciate your advice, my campus isn't the Burnaby campus but perhaps a phone call would suffice.

6 minutes ago, PhDough said:

I was wondering this too. I did email grad awards on Friday, but there's been no response. It honestly sounds like a huge mess, all these people saying different things. I appreciate your advice, my campus isn't the Burnaby campus but perhaps a phone call would suffice.

That's true! Best of luck! ❤️

6 minutes ago, fabula said:

I’m UAlberta. I’m worried successful applicants have been notified. But it’s hard to be sure. 

My friend who won it last year said that she knew a week before her lab partner, even though they both had won. They were both emailed at separate times. The other girl had to wait a full week for her physical letter, and an extra 2 days before she received an email! That's brutal!

On 4/27/2018 at 11:51 AM, mosquitonomics said:

I got word from my awards office that I was waitlisted for sshrc. Does anyone know what the waitlist is like and how common it is to receive the award off of the waitlist? Hoping to know so I can either maintain my hopes or prepare for disappointment. thanks

HI JimBob1--I was waitlisted the last 2 years, but nothing transpired of it. In fact, I was told by my Programs Officer that it's not impossible for none of the waitlisted applicants to receive an award. Apologies for all of the negatives in that last sentence: in other words, sometimes no on on the waitlist gets an award...even IF people turn down their scholarship -- it's as if the funds get sucked back into the SSHRC vortex.

Received the Bombardier CGS SSHRC, notified directly by the department of graduate studies before receiving my mailed letter in downtown Montreal.

No publications, 6 conference presentations, 1 conference session, received SSHRC CGS-M in M.A.

15 minutes ago, turkergirl said:

Anyone on the West Coast received any notice in the mail yet? I'm an external applicant at a UK university, but currently in Vancouver. 

I'm from UBC and no mail yet. Hopefully by tomorrow!