SSHRC Doctoral Award/CGS (funding for 2018-2019)

PsychBoy

I just want to send out some good vibes to everyone participating in this forum. I found this thread extremely supportive in such an emotionally charged time. So thank you to all of you!

To those of you who won, a heartfelt congratulations! To those of you still soldiering on, I am right there with you! 

6 minutes ago, grdgrl said:

I just want to send out some good vibes to everyone participating in this forum. I found this thread extremely supportive in such an emotionally charged time. So thank you to all of you!

To those of you who won, a heartfelt congratulations! To those of you still soldiering on, I am right there with you! 

You are a gem ! I feel the same way. We are all in this together !

Another ghost follower here. Thought I would contribute! 

Received letter today in the Lower Mainland. Got a lovely score of 9.6/20 and was rejected. This was my first time applying (currently in my MA). 

0 publications, 10 conference papers/presentations (most were international, the rest national), 1 book chapter in press. 

So apparently my family didn’t tell me the letter came (been in the uk this week). Good thing my supervisor heard results beyond my “you got sshrc” email on Monday. 

I got the bombardier with a score of 14/20 one forthcoming publication 6? Conferences 

On 5/5/2018 at 3:33 PM, Kraven said:

So apparently my family didn’t tell me the letter came (been in the uk this week). Good thing my supervisor heard results beyond my “you got sshrc” email on Monday. 

I got the bombardier with a score of 14/20 one forthcoming publication 6? Conferences 

Hi Kraven—Congrats! 

Which committee were you in? 

I just want to point out that, as of Monday delivery, Atlanta is still letter-free. 

It always boggles my mind that it takes about two weeks to get a letter from Ottawa to a major city about a fifteen hour drive away in the U.S.

13 hours ago, CrazyPugLady said:

You should have gotten it from the letter you received from SSHRC.

Thank you for responding! They only told me my score /20, but not my rank in the competition. Where did you see yours? Is it part of the file number?

1 hour ago, BibliophileSW said:

Has anyone gotten any info 're the wait list? I'm in committee 5 social work/geography. I sent sshrc an email but haven't heard back. 

I sent an email last Wednesday. On Monday they forwarded it to a program officer. Replies expected in 4 business days. I expect to hear by the end of the week. 

Edited by fabula

39 minutes ago, SadieLou said:

Hey all! Finally. Doctoral Fellowship, external applicant (Atlanta), 14.4. *Passes out.*

Congrats! Time to celebrate!

What changes would you say made the difference? (I'm waitlisted and it looks like I'll be trying again.) Advice welcome. 

3 hours ago, BibliophileSW said:

Has anyone gotten any info 're the wait list? I'm in committee 5 social work/geography. I sent sshrc an email but haven't heard back. 

I got my results back, I'm in a different committee from you (2A), rank 69 with 60 applicants being accepted for funding. I figure that I'm in a decent spot, and I'll keep hope alive but not hold my breath for it.

On 5/9/2018 at 10:59 AM, fabula said:

Congrats! Time to celebrate!

What changes would you say made the difference? (I'm waitlisted and it looks like I'll be trying again.) Advice welcome. 

Thanks! Honestly, it really just felt pretty random. I added a published review and a couple of conferences, and I re-wrote my program of study, but the project and letters were basically the same. I just tried to write very clearly and explain all terminology, making very obvious the sort of practical payout of a very theoretical project (philosophy) and citing things that made it clear that I was familiar with pertinent literature.  Last time I used headings to make it seem more organized, but I took them out. My score was embarrassingly low last time, and the huge jump in score did not feel warranted.

7 hours ago, SadieLou said:

Thanks! Honestly, it really just felt pretty random. I added a published review and a couple of conferences, and I re-wrote my program of study, but the project and letters were basically the same. I just tried to write very clearly and explain all terminology, making very obvious the sort of practical payout of a very theoretical project (philosophy) and citing things that made it clear that I was familiar with pertinent literature.  Last time I used headings to make it seem more organized, but I took them out. My score was embarrassingly low last time, and the huge jump in score did not feel warranted.

This is my first time applying for SSHRC, and I agree that it feels like a total crapshoot.   My scores were 2.something/10 and 7. something/10 for a total score of 10.8 and the waitlist?  That makes no sense.  One person can look at the same proposal and think it's utter crap, and another thinks it's pretty decent.   This assessment has some test-retest problems, methinks!

9 hours ago, Piagetsky said:

This is my first time applying for SSHRC, and I agree that it feels like a total crapshoot.   My scores were 2.something/10 and 7. something/10 for a total score of 10.8 and the waitlist?  That makes no sense.  One person can look at the same proposal and think it's utter crap, and another thinks it's pretty decent.   This assessment has some test-retest problems, methinks!

That really doesn't make sense? I thought the scores were supposed to be within 3.5 of each other? Not sure...I am also on the wait list 11/20 -don't have my breakdown yet...

13 hours ago, Piagetsky said:

As a measurement / psychometrics person, I also wonder about the interrater reliability of these questions...

10 hours ago, eternallyephemeral said:

question for everyone - is each score (e.g., 7/10, 5/10) supposed to be in the paper letter? I only saw mine today and it has the total /20 but not each rating. I know it's not important but thanks in advance!

My letter also only had the total out of 20.

13 hours ago, eternallyephemeral said:

question for everyone - is each score (e.g., 7/10, 5/10) supposed to be in the paper letter? I only saw mine today and it has the total /20 but not each rating. I know it's not important but thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, high_hopes said:

My letter also only had the total out of 20.

You can email fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca to find out the individual scores. I just emailed them saying "I wish to know my rank," and they sent my relative ranking, my individual scores, and the number of applicants and awards in my subcommittee. I also had a really fast reply - within 1 day. They appear to be happy to reply and have everything handy.

It would be interesting to know if other people also had similar variations between their individual scores, e.g., 7/10 and 5/10.

Hey SSHRCers,

I just wanted to send a note to say if you have been awarded the fellowship, congratulations!

If you were not successful this time around, try again. There is a huge amount of many unknown variables, and as sucky as it sounds, there is a huge amount of luck involved. Don't take it personally if you were rejected (been there).

You (We) are better and more valuable than the score on your (our) application. We are all out there doing work we believe in, putting our blood, sweat, and tears into our fields, and we go back over and over no matter how many times we fail because we believe we have something to contribute to society. That's something to be proud of.

I am so proud of all of you!