SSHRC Doctoral Award/CGS (funding for 2018-2019)

PsychBoy

I also did not receive any mail today (ottawa). Do we know if they send the acceptances and rejections together? Is there any way to read into how long the letter is taking to arrive? Did anyone receive a rejection today?

7 minutes ago, xyz987 said:

What university are you at? I'm at SFU and haven't heard anything! 

6 minutes ago, xyz987 said:

Noooooo :( My anxiety can't handle another week of this!! 

Yeah, the anticipation is brutal! The office made it pretty clear that they weren't going to release any information until they send out that email.

Anyone from McMaster here?  Emailed the awards office, and they just told me to wait for the SSHRC letter in the mail. Pure hell.

20 minutes ago, YuzuCat said:

Yeah, the anticipation is brutal! The office made it pretty clear that they weren't going to release any information until they send out that email.

Wow, this is astonishing. I'm not sure if they are always this slow, but it definitely doesn't seem like a great idea to hoard the information while other universities are emailing students (on weekends even!). Well, at least we know that no response from the office so far doesn't automatically mean rejection!

Judging from other cgs sshrc threads (mostly Twitter), and hearing from other grads who just won at my school (UBC), departments seem to be very fast at getting back to those who won... And are in no rush to get back to those who are waitlisted or did not get it. Waitlisted myself, but only found out through sending an email. Best of luck to those still waiting on responses. 

37 minutes ago, soupdujour said:

Waiting on a letter back home (Montreal) and even though two people on this thread got theirs mine is still MIA. So I guess the same city isn't necessarily an indicator of when it'll arrive?

I'm also from Montreal and didn't get anything in the mail today. Also it's not related to winning versus not, because I already know I got the Bombardier CGS.

On 4/28/2018 at 11:36 AM, Bmay said:

Results are out! So exciting! Why snail mail? I heard that they are sending emails to those who have not received the award, and paper to those who have won. Can anyone confirm this? I still haven't heard back from UBC. Has anyone emailed with a reply from them?

Update: Heard back from Dept. Admin at UBC. Waitlisted and wasn't told what rank I'm at, but told there is not a good chance. Time to hit the ground running for the Fall application! :)

20 minutes ago, PsychBoy said:

I'm also from Montreal and didn't get anything in the mail today. Also it's not related to winning versus not, because I already know I got the Bombardier CGS.

Thank you for the reassurance, you've given me a bit more hope

3 hours ago, YuzuCat said:

I know a few people now from UBC who have already found out they won (emailed on the WEEKEND personally by Deans and Ono). So I think those of us who haven't heard from UBC are either waitlisted or didn't get it. 

11 minutes ago, grdgrl said:

I know a few people now from UBC who have already found out they won (emailed on the WEEKEND personally by Deans and Ono). So I think those of us who haven't heard from UBC are either waitlisted or didn't get it. 

On a related note: I find that practice in poor taste. Emailing successful candidates ahead of time is poor decorum. Maybe that is just me, but doesn't feel right.

All final applicants should receive emails, regardless of the outcome. If anything, it is unsuccessful applicants that could benefit from some cheery words and encouragement.

Tldr: everyone should emails, or no one...just my 2cents

Edited by Stipo

On 4/27/2018 at 8:26 PM, circus said:

Thank you! Ya, I bit the bullet and e-mailed her as well and I was waitlisted also. I was waitlisted last year too, so I'm disappointed but hopefully I'm higher on the list this time. 

That is disappointing!!!! I hope it turns out that we get it. Financial awards emailed me today and said there are 16 at UVic on the waitlist. Does anyone know if receiving funding on the waitlist is related to your universities quota or if after the initial competition funding is awarded to the waitlisters is based on where you sit within all applicants or where you sit within your committee (i.e., committee 1-5)?

Edited by InTheRabbitHole

1 hour ago, Stipo said:

On a related note: I find that practice in poor taste. Emailing successful candidates ahead of time is poor decorum. Maybe that is just me, but doesn't feel right.

All final applicants should receive emails, regardless of the outcome. If anything, it is unsuccessful applicants that could benefit from some cheery words and encouragement.

Tldr: everyone should emails, or no one...just my 2cents

Well said!

Received my SSHRC letter today. (Address in Toronto suburb). Received Joseph-Armand Bombardier SSHRC. 14.9/20; UofT completing second year PhD program; one publication under peer review (not published yet); three national-level conference presentations.

Applied twice for MA (Fall 2013, Fall 2014) (didn't get it both time).

Applied twice for PhD (Fall 2015, Fall 2016) (didn't get it—got it third time, this year)