SSHRC Doctoral Award/CGS (funding for 2018-2019)

PsychBoy

Univ. of Regina student here! I was notified by the Department Head that I had won a "SSHRC Doctoral Award" via e-mail last Friday. I was expecting the results to be announced mid-May so the email came as a total surprise (a very pleasant one, I must say)! He didn't specify whether it's the Fellowship (20k) or the Bombardier Award (35k), though. Hoping it's the latter, but I am so grateful and honoured to have been a successful applicant regardless of which award I received! Good luck to those waiting for their results!

4 hours ago, turkergirl said:

Anyone on the West Coast received any notice in the mail yet? I'm an external applicant at a UK university, but currently in Vancouver. 

No physical mail yet. I'm also in Vancouver. Going to check again tomorrow! :)

12 hours ago, fabula said:

So I’m wondering if any successful UAlberra applicants can confirm. (?) 

p.s. Nothing in the mail today in central Edmonton. 

I'm also at UAlberta and haven't heard anything. I've been too nervous to email and my school/department doesn't usually have SSHRC applicants (they apply to other tri-councils normally) so I doubt they know anything. 

Realistically I'm not that hopeful given my prior misses for scholarships in my department but subconsciously I've gotten my hopes up too high as I received a SSHRC during my MA. I'm also too nervous to email anyone because I haven't been handling rejection very well recently. That Vanier rejection was tough and my supervisor just told me I didn't have a chance anyway so she didn't know why I was so upset and taking it personally.

24 minutes ago, rbecks said:

I'm also at UAlberta and haven't heard anything. I've been too nervous to email and my school/department doesn't usually have SSHRC applicants (they apply to other tri-councils normally) so I doubt they know anything. 

Realistically I'm not that hopeful given my prior misses for scholarships in my department but subconsciously I've gotten my hopes up too high as I received a SSHRC during my MA. I'm also too nervous to email anyone because I haven't been handling rejection very well recently. That Vanier rejection was tough and my supervisor just told me I didn't have a chance anyway so she didn't know why I was so upset and taking it personally.

I find the stats helpful in moments like these. http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/results-resultats/stats-statistiques/index-eng.aspx

Ultimately, it’s pretty rare to get one of these awards. And everyone who doesn’t get one of the awards is still doing valuable and interesting work—otherwise we wouldn’t be here. I know that being awarded a SSHRC is partly luck. The differences are so small. 

Be well. Take heart. Celebrate the good days and the good work you’re doing. 

20 minutes ago, HolySSHRC said:

Waitlisted with score of 12.5/20 = 7.5/20 + 5/20. You can email fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca to find out your relative ranking within your subcommittee.

Did you already know you had been waitlisted when you emailed?

5 minutes ago, NWstudent said:

Did you already know you had been waitlisted when you emailed?

Yes, but I didn't receive the mailed results yet, I just found out from my department. So email ahead, I think anyone can email them. They said, "Thank you for your email regarding your result in the SSHRC 2018-2019 Doctoral Awards competition.  SSHRC can provide your scores and rank in the committee responsible for your adjudication."

5 minutes ago, HolySSHRC said:

Yes, but I didn't receive the mailed results yet, I just found out from my department. So email ahead, I think anyone can email them. They said, "Thank you for your email regarding your result in the SSHRC 2018-2019 Doctoral Awards competition.  SSHRC can provide your scores and rank in the committee responsible for your adjudication."

Wonderful, thank you!

6 minutes ago, RainDays said:

This year the letter stated that there were 2,048 applicants and roughly 840 spots. So chances are something like less than a quarter get a sshrc! 

That's 41%  : )
It was similar last year, ~40% of applicants at the Ottawa level receive some kind of scholarship. Of course the raw numbers from the department are much higher, so the chances are much lower.

47 minutes ago, MightyQuinn said:

Still waiting on hard copy letters in Toronto... 

I live in North York, and I received my letter this morning.

Indicated waitlist placement, with a score of 10.2 in Committee 5 (I think... the code I indicated on the application was 7525, but I submitted my SSHRC application to my department so long ago that I honestly do not remember anymore).

17 minutes ago, RainDays said:

i was rejected (West Coast) with a score of 10.8 - curious to hear what others who were rejected were ranked!!! 

It sounds like they may be making typos on the waitlist letters... I have been told that there's no way I have a 10.2 if my letter indicated waitlist placement. The current hypothesis is that I may have a 12.0 but the numbers got flipped somehow. Should I be getting my hopes up here? Has anyone else experienced this?  Does anyone know if the results letters are generated automatically, or if it's even possible that this was just human error?

6 minutes ago, phd_imposter_syndrome said:

It sounds like they may be making typos on the waitlist letters... I have been told that there's no way I have a 10.2 if my letter indicated waitlist placement. The current hypothesis is that I may have a 12.0 but the numbers got flipped somehow. Should I be getting my hopes up here? Has anyone else experienced this?  Does anyone know if the results letters are generated automatically, or if it's even possible that this was just human error?

Yeah I'm super confused - I thought waitlisted applicants were around 11/12 - so it might be flipped? I would email them. 

32 minutes ago, RainDays said:

i was rejected (West Coast) with a score of 10.8 - curious to hear what others who were rejected were ranked!!! 

I got 9.5/20 which is hilarious since I scored relatively well enough for the Vanier to be waitlisted.

SSHRC and all these agencies is literally a crapshoot and sometimes makes no logical sense. At least that's what people have been telling me to make me feel less bummed, lol!

6 minutes ago, CrazyPugLady said:

I got 9.5/20 which is hilarious since I scored relatively well enough for the Vanier to be waitlisted.

SSHRC and all these agencies is literally a crapshoot and sometimes makes no logical sense. At least that's what people have been telling me to make me feel less bummed, lol!

Wow - to be waitlisted for Vanier is such a huge accomplishment. I don't understand how you weren't at least waitlisted for a doctoral sshrc??!! 

6 minutes ago, RainDays said:

Wow - to be waitlisted for Vanier is such a huge accomplishment. I don't understand how you weren't at least waitlisted for a doctoral sshrc??!! 

It makes no sense!!

My friend who won Vanier this year did not win SSHRC doctoral. Flat out rejected like me.

Last year, another friend of mine who won Vanier didn't even get forwarded to the national competition.

These friends of mine go to the same school as me.

Just received my letter in the mail (in the uk). First year PhD student. Got SSHRC fellowship. Received a score of 12.97/20, committee 3. I have 1 journal publication, 1 national conference and several grad conferences, with some researcher work experience. 

After reading through this thread and seeing the amount of publications and national conferences some people had, I had the expectation that I wasn’t going to receive anything, so I’m really happy that I did and want to send hope to others that even though you don’t have loads of pubs/conferences, you still have a shot. 

Wishing the rest of you the best of luck!

39 minutes ago, fabula said:

Congrats!

Also, if the letters are making their way to the UK, maybe, just maybe they'll make their way to the hinterlands of Edmonton and Toronto today. :)

Or, ten minutes away, in Ottawa

An update on my score, incase anyone is interested (warning - very lucky first time applicant):

I received the Joseph-Armand Bombardier CGS - with a score of 17.8/20 committee 5. First time applicant, no publications, one conference, also had no grad school transcripts with application (I was in the first semester of MA when I applied). Like everyone is saying... it is all about luck, who gets to read your application. If we made it to the national level, we are all there for a reason. I also hope this gives hope to applicants who feel like their application wasn't strong because of a somewhat bare resume, I guess ... based on my luck ... sometimes the project is more important to the adjudicators, so don't be afraid to apply.

EDIT: I received my official letter today on Vancouver Island - I feel awful for everyone still waiting across the country for results - why do we have ours already out here on the coast?!

Edited by UnlikelyGrad4
letter arrival time

21 minutes ago, UnlikelyGrad4 said:

An update on my score, incase anyone is interested (warning - very lucky first time applicant):

I received the Joseph-Armand Bombardier CGS - with a score of 17.8/20 committee 5. First time applicant, no publications, one conference, also had no grad school transcripts with application (I was in the first semester of MA when I applied). Like everyone is saying... it is all about luck, who gets to read your application. If we made it to the national level, we are all there for a reason. I also hope this gives hope to applicants who feel like their application wasn't strong because of a somewhat bare resume, I guess ... based on my luck ... sometimes the project is more important to the adjudicators, so don't be afraid to apply.

EDIT: I received my official letter today on Vancouver Island - I feel awful for everyone still waiting across the country for results - why do we have ours already out here on the coast?!

Amazing, congrats! I feel like I really should have applied last year like you did. I was a masters student at the time,l too, no transcripts also. I was told by my school that they wouldn't even forward it without transcripts and my chances were low without then, even with pubs and conference presentations. Lesson learned, go for it anyway. I'm not sure what happened this year yet, still waiting and hoping for a miracle (in Metro Vancouver area, no letter yet, no email from SFU about any outcome). 

Edited to add: you must have one hell of a project proposal. Selfishly, I'd love to read it / know what you are working on because that's a super high score regardless! You've done something right! 

Edited by PhDough
Added a thought

37 minutes ago, PhDough said:

Amazing, congrats! I feel like I really should have applied last year like you did. I was a masters student at the time,l too, no transcripts also. I was told by my school that they wouldn't even forward it without transcripts and my chances were low without then, even with pubs and conference presentations. Lesson learned, go for it anyway. I'm not sure what happened this year yet, still waiting and hoping for a miracle (in Metro Vancouver area, no letter yet, no email from SFU about any outcome). 

Edited to add: you must have one hell of a project proposal. Selfishly, I'd love to read it / know what you are working on because that's a super high score regardless! You've done something right! 

Thanks! I do think topic had a lot to do with it. My project looks at the reproduction of colonial hetero-patriarchy (inherited after forced displacement of Indigenous notions of gender and sexuality to undermine political structures) in contemporary Indigenous political movements and how we best address those reproductions. So I'm dealing with gender/race/Indigenous-settler relations. I also dropped "reconciliation" in there. I'm an Indigenous woman but they don't know that, so I do think the score was largely due to my topic relating to a lot of the themes SSHRC promotes.

Edited by UnlikelyGrad4