SSHRC Doctoral Award/CGS (funding for 2018-2019)

PsychBoy

13 minutes ago, NotForsaken said:

Please do, and tell them to email everyone else waiting as well :P

I took the plunge and emailed to ask as well.  Thank you for the bravery everyone!  Good luck to everyone!

Hey all - my partner just called me to let me know that my letter arrived in the mail today (I'm at the University of Ottawa, living in Ottawa, which is likely why it came so fast). I got the two-year, 20k/year doctoral fellowship with a score of 15/20. (!!!)

For anyone who's interested, this is my third time applying for a SSHRC (rejected for Masters, waitlisted for Doctoral last year). The essay portion of my application remained almost exactly the same between last year and this year, but I received OGS last year & I had quite a few more first author and co-author publications and presentations this year. 

Good luck, everyone! 

Edited by fmlfmlfml

5 minutes ago, fmlfmlfml said:

Thank you! (Assuming this is for me lol). 

Last year I published two first-authored articles and three co-authored articles (all peer-reviewed), as well as an op-ed (don't know if that one mattered though, haha).

Whoops, forgot to paste the quote! Yes, it was for you :)

Thanks for letting me know!

21 minutes ago, fmlfmlfml said:

Hey all - my partner just called me to let me know that my letter arrived in the mail today (I'm at the University of Ottawa, living in Ottawa, which is likely why it came so fast). I got the two-year, 20k/year doctoral fellowship with a score of 15/20. (!!!)

For anyone who's interested, this is my third time applying for a SSHRC (rejected for Masters, waitlisted for Doctoral last year). The essay portion of my application remained almost exactly the same between last year and this year, but I received OGS last year & I had quite a few more first author and co-author publications and presentations this year. 

Good luck, everyone! 

That’s great news because I’m in Ottawa too, I can’t wait to get home and check...literally, I can’t wait

Just got the results in the mail this morning (Montreal) and got funding for my fifth year. Just wanted to let everyone who didn't get it to know that even if you didn't get it this year (or the year before, or the year before that...etc.) that you shouldn't give up hope!

1 hour ago, fabula said:

For those on the waitlist, I believe you can email SSHRC directly to ask for your position in line. (At least that's what some in last year's forum did.) I'd assume you'd use fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca

Thank you very much for this - just sent them an email in inquire (queue is  currently 4 days).

Emailed the graduate scholarship liaison officer at Dalhousie and found out that I won a 36 month SSHRC doctoral scholarship for 20 000/year. I was debating waiting until my letter arrived but the waves of anxiety were making it impossible to get anything done (and I have lots to get done this week). If you combine attempts at the masters and doctoral SSHRCs, this was my fourth attempt. Last year I didn't even make it to the national competition. Honestly, the most exciting thing about winning it this year is not having to go through another round of applications next year. Best of luck to everyone!

I heard from my awards office, and was told that I was rejected. I'm pretty disappointed, since I had double the amount of publications this time around than when I won the the doctoral CGS two years ago. Guess it's on to my fifth application attempt next year...

Hi all,

Have been lurking for a while with a colleague. We are two candidates in Ottawa who have NOT received any letters today or any emails.

A third peer in Ottawa has received letter today. Does anyone else in Ottawa have any idea why the lack of mail?

Appreciate any insights as the anticipation is eating me alive. Hard to focus when others receive letters and my own inbox is empty.

Cheers!

Edited by Stipo

22 minutes ago, Stipo said:

Hi all,

Have been lurking for a while with a colleague. We are two candidates in Ottawa who have NOT received any letters today or any emails.

A third peer in Ottawa has received letter today. Does anyone else in Ottawa have any idea why the lack of mail?

Appreciate any insights as the anticipation is eating me alive. Hard to focus when others receive letters and my own inbox is empty.

Cheers!

Hello fellow Ottawan!

Could very likely be random. Last year, I didn't receive a letter until a week after they were allegedly sent out; this year I received it today. 

8 minutes ago, fmlfmlfml said:

Hello fellow Ottawan!

Could very likely be random. Last year, I didn't receive a letter until a week after they were allegedly sent out; this year I received it today. 

Hello!

That would be a huge drag. Not sure how the postal system works, but Hintonburg area got letter today and I am still waiting in Little Italy. Strange stuff! hah