Is it okay to tangentially criticize my alma mater in SOP?

I don't have a very good GPA in my undergrad because the teachers available in my undergrad college were not up to the mark. To be honest, they were not properly qualified at all to teach. I think this is quite normal in a third world country where teachers are not paid well and highly skilled people just almost always go to the industries because of better salary and research facilities there. More often than teaching correct things, they would teach incorrect things and expects students to rote learn the concepts -- transcribe the material in the examination exactly as they taught even if it's incorrect sometimes. This made no sense to many of us of course, except the ones who were blindly running behind the grades without trying to gain any practical knowledge. The undergrad GPA was really not the indicator of success in my college; in fact, a higher GPA was almost always the indication that this guy is seriously lacking in the application of the concepts. This led me and many of my friends to lose interest over time in the studies and we started involving ourselves more in project work.

Now my question is that is it okay if I mention this in my SOP? Or is it too harsh to say it? The downside, if I don't say it, is that it weakens my application due to GPA, which colleges take very seriously, as far as I've researched. They will think I lack some serious skills. I can offset the impact with my good project work that I've done in subsequent years, but still, I am confused how to explain the low GPA.

Do not criticize an alma mater in the SOP. Same thing as any job interview. Never discuss how horrible the last program or job was. It's even worse in a cover letter or SOP because they cannot see your face. Instead, they have a cold piece of paper to judge you on. That judgment never ends well. No matter how warranted, it usually comes off entitled, whiny, arrogant and/or immature. Instead, focus on your skills, professional interests, and what you need to succeed. Turn your SOP into a piece about self-analysis to discuss any "shortcoming." You can certainly discuss how you became interested in your project work, and the process you took to find the resources needed to accomplish it.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Kita. Do not criticize your former school or teachers. The people reading your SOP are either going to be teachers themselves or on the side of teachers and schools. they're not going to look kindly at student who seems to be anti-teacher or comes off as "knowing better" than their former college and teachers. They don't know you yet and you don't want them wondering whether or not you'll be badmouthing them when you leave.

Instead just acknowledge your low GPA and then go into what you've accomplished since then to prove to them that you've learned your lesson or corrected whatever the cause of the low GPA was. In your case you may want to paint it as "(Former University) offered a variety of outside projects that I became interested in. Unfortunately I failed to maintain a proper classroom - project balance and my grades slipped. I realize now that I needed better time management skills and have worked hard to correct that. In addition, my involvement with XYZ projects helped expand my knowledge by ...." They'll appreciate you being up front and taking responsibility for your low GPA and should hopefully realize you will work to do better at their school.

Good luck!

Edited by Casual_Bongos

Any written material that you submit for admissions purposes should always be written from a standpoint of strength. Never discuss bad grades in an SOP. Never degrade former teachers or an institution. After-all- you chose it and chose to stay so what does that say about your judgement? The best way to overcome bad grades is to highlight other areas of achievement. This could be research, standardized testing, supplemental courses done elsewhere, professional experience. There are so many options, just do not disparage others. - Admissions Track