Applying for Fall 2018

I'mReallyScaredIWontGetIn

Columbia, maybe Harvard and Northwestern.  I would go for University of Chicago as well, but then I would have to write another research paper on music between now and December.  I didn't do music in undergrad, so I don't have a backlog...

Hi all. 

I applied for DMA/PhD programs in composition last year, but it didn't go as planned.  I thought being out of school and working in the real world for 5 years building up experience and my portfolio would help me get into a top program, but I guess it wasn't enough.  I applied to Princeton, Yale, Michigan, and Indiana; got rejected at Princeton and Yale (which wasn't surprising), waitlisted and then rejected at Michigan (which I was super bummed about), accepted at Indiana but only offered a partial tuition scholarship and I refuse to go further into debt and will only go to school if I get full funding (my audition/interview for a theory assistantship couldn't have gone any better, but I somehow wasn't offered one, they told me they give them to theory majors first and had none left over for non-theory majors this year).  Luckily, Indiana let me defer my acceptance, so I don't have to apply again this year and will be reconsidered for aid again.  I am widening my net for this year and am planning to apply to the same schools plus Eastman (PhD), UChicago, Duke, Rice, and Cornell.  I really hope things work out this year because I REALLY miss being a student and am dying to be back in school! 

Good luck to everyone else this year too.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, all. 

This is my first round of applications for Ph.D. programs in musicology. I am extremely nervous because I had quite a lot happen to me during my undergraduate which prevented me from having two writing samples prepared. So, I'm currently editing my applications and writing a sample all in time for a Dec.1 deadline. I'm applying to Columbia, Harvard, UCLA, UC Berkeley, UVA, and NYU. 

Also, is anyone going to AMS this week? It would be interesting to bump into each other there! 

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my Dec. 1 deadline applications submitted: Yale, Rice, Eastman, and Michigan!  I had a really hard time making the decisions on what compositions to include in my portfolio, but at some point you just have to decide and go with it.  I do think that my applications are at least a little stronger than they were last year, so I'm feeling optimistic at this point.  

Anyone else gotten any applications done, or are you still working on them?

I finished my two masters applications and sent them in a while ago, and I'm working on DMA/PhD applications for University of Chicago and Columbia (both due on Dec. 15).  I took the GRE, and now I'm hard at work on a second essay to prove my musicological chops to UChicago.  I might not have done it, but my teacher thinks I'd be a good fit there, and encouraged me to go for it.

On 11/27/2017 at 10:59 PM, LookingforMM said:

I finished my two masters applications and sent them in a while ago, and I'm working on DMA/PhD applications for University of Chicago and Columbia (both due on Dec. 15).  I took the GRE, and now I'm hard at work on a second essay to prove my musicological chops to UChicago.  I might not have done it, but my teacher thinks I'd be a good fit there, and encouraged me to go for it.

Do you already have a masters?  I'd bet it'd be really tough to get into a DMA/PhD program with only a Bachelor's, especially top programs like UChicago and Columbia, but you never know unless you try.  What masters programs did you apply for?

I'm working on my UChicago application now too, as that is the next nearest deadline.  I'm lucky I got an application fee waiver from them for having been a Fulbright scholar, and it seems they don't require an interview so I don't have any cost in applying!

By the way, I'm looking at the UChicago application right now, and it doesn't say the writing samples have to be about music, so you could probably be fine if one, or even both, are on topics outside of music.

Edited by ks391262

1 hour ago, ks391262 said:

Do you already have a masters?  I'd bet it'd be really tough to get into a DMA/PhD program with only a Bachelor's, especially top programs like UChicago and Columbia, but you never know unless you try.  What masters programs did you apply for?

I'm working on my UChicago application now too, as that is the next nearest deadline.  I'm lucky I got an application fee waiver from them for having been a Fulbright scholar, and it seems they don't require an interview so I don't have any cost in applying!

By the way, I'm looking at the UChicago application right now, and it doesn't say the writing samples have to be about music, so you could probably be fine if one, or even both, are on topics outside of music.

Don't have a master's degree in any subject, and you're certainly right that I'm facing an uphill battle in applying to extremely competitive programs.  My bachelor's degree wasn't even in music; I double majored in English/Philosophy, got decent but not spectacular grades, and this was some time ago too.  Still, like I said, my teacher is telling me I should try.

I applied to master's programs at UMass Amherst (where I'm sure to be accepted) and University of Maryland College Park (where I was received quite well when I visited).  I made it clear to both that my goal was to get a doctoral degree afterwards.

You're right that UChicago doesn't specify essays on music, but I lost all of my undergrad papers in a hard drive disaster last year, and if I could find a hard copy of, say, my final paper for Philosophy Seminar, it wouldn't represent my abilities now very well anyway, given how much experience I've had since (I'd be afraid to read it now).  Also, given my particular path, my best chance to show my readiness for a DMA/PhD program is to blow committees away by presenting them work that's already at the level they're looking for.  My GRE scores are strong, but that's hardly enough.

Best of luck to you!

Edited by LookingforMM

On 11/29/2017 at 11:44 PM, LookingforMM said:

Don't have a master's degree in any subject, and you're certainly right that I'm facing an uphill battle in applying to extremely competitive programs.  My bachelor's degree wasn't even in music; I double majored in English/Philosophy, got decent but not spectacular grades, and this was some time ago too.  Still, like I said, my teacher is telling me I should try.

I'm right there with you. Applying to graduate programs with only a Bachelor's and I've met some really amazing candidates who already have their Master's and are adjuncts. It's intimidating, and I do think that we're generally at a disadvantage. I'm hoping some programs will actually give preference to a younger student because we're a rare breed! Good luck! 

Just submitted my UCLA and UC Berkeley applications. I always knew the waiting game would be tough, but I'm already checking my email constantly to make sure I didn't miss anything. I guess this will be the next few months! 

8 hours ago, KerriR said:

I'm right there with you. Applying to graduate programs with only a Bachelor's and I've met some really amazing candidates who already have their Master's and are adjuncts. It's intimidating, and I do think that we're generally at a disadvantage. I'm hoping some programs will actually give preference to a younger student because we're a rare breed! Good luck! 

I'm not quite that young, as I finished my undergrad studies a few years ago, and certainly could have a master's degree by now if I had decided on my life trajectory earlier on.  It just took me some time to develop my skills and work on my personal life before I was ready to go back to school.  Still, I wish you the best of luck too!

Just sent in my application to Columbia's DMA program.  It feels good, even though I don't have much of a chance.

On 11/29/2017 at 11:44 PM, LookingforMM said:

I applied to master's programs at UMass Amherst (where I'm sure to be accepted) and University of Maryland College Park (where I was received quite well when I visited).  I made it clear to both that my goal was to get a doctoral degree afterwards.

You're right that UChicago doesn't specify essays on music, but I lost all of my undergrad papers in a hard drive disaster last year, and if I could find a hard copy of, say, my final paper for Philosophy Seminar, it wouldn't represent my abilities now very well anyway, given how much experience I've had since (I'd be afraid to read it now).  Also, given my particular path, my best chance to show my readiness for a DMA/PhD program is to blow committees away by presenting them work that's already at the level they're looking for.  My GRE scores are strong, but that's hardly enough.

Best of luck to you!

As you are working on your Chicago application, I just wanted to share with you that I have a friend who is currently in the Phd program in Composition at UChicago, and he said that the faculty love it when students show specific and focused interest in UChicago and their program in their essay.  

10 hours ago, ks391262 said:

As you are working on your Chicago application, I just wanted to share with you that I have a friend who is currently in the Phd program in Composition at UChicago, and he said that the faculty love it when students show specific and focused interest in UChicago and their program in their essay.  

Thanks for the advice.  I'll be sure to take that into account when retooling my SoP essay.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, the early returns aren't going so well for me so far.  I got invited to interview at Eastman, which is good but...

Then I got rejected from Rice without an interview invite.  It was strange to, because they said that I'd hear by Dec. 18 by email and to contact them if I didn't hear from them by Dec. 20.  Dec. 20 came and I hadn't heard so I emailed and they said notifications went out on Dec. 14 and here's a copy of the rejection email.  But recommendations weren't due until Dec. 20 (and they seem to have a weird system were they don't send out emails requesting recommendations from recommenders until after you've submitted the application which has a Dec. 1 deadline).  So it seems like they don't even read or consider recommendations for this first round of cuts, which really is disappointing because one of my recommenders is a graduate of their program and they ask for 4 recommendations whereas all my other applications asked for 3.  So they ask for an extra recommender and then don't even consider them!

Then I found out I got rejected from Michigan without an interview invite (not the Christmas gift I was expecting).  Not only did I get invited to interview when I applied for the exact same program last year, but I was waitlisted and then rejected, which was so disappointing at the time that I contacted one of the faculty and asked what advice they might be able to give me on how I could improve my application for this year.  We talked on the phone, he listened and looked at my portfolio again and gave me feedback on it, plus I had two friends of mine who are graduates of their program help me put together my new portfolio for this year.  This made me feel really confident that I had improved my application and would have an even better shot this year, which has made this recent news all the more disappointing.  I really have no idea how this happened, and now it has shattered my confidence and I'm really worried I'm not going to get in to any place that I've applied this year because it seems that I'm a worse candidate than last year, despite trying everything to do the opposite. :-(

I'm sorry to hear that ks391262! My luck isn't going so great either, two rejections without interviews. I feel like I am in a similar spot as you because I interviewed at one of the schools I was rejected from two years ago for my masters. I think my application is much stronger now, so I don't really know what went wrong. Needless to say, its really put a damper on my holiday. 

27 minutes ago, ks391262 said:

Got all my applications in, now it's mostly waiting and worrying...

Good luck!  I'm sorry that your results haven't been going well so far, but that doesn't mean you won't get in somewhere you like.

On 12/27/2017 at 7:59 PM, ks391262 said:

Well, the early returns aren't going so well for me so far...I really have no idea how this happened, and now it has shattered my confidence and I'm really worried I'm not going to get in to any place that I've applied this year because it seems that I'm a worse candidate than last year, despite trying everything to do the opposite. :-(

Ks391262 and I'mReallyScared, sorry to hear about the bad start! You both have a bit more experience than I do with graduate applications, but it does seem that rejections come much faster than acceptances! While the waiting game isn't fun, we still have quite a few months before all offers are made by programs. Best of luck with the rest!

I submitted my last application last night for NYU. It's a lot easier to tell others not to worry, but I do definitely feel the same anticipation. It's difficult to determine how strong of a candidate you are and how likely it is you will get into a program. Luckily, I feel very strongly about every program I applied to (Harvard, Columbia, UCLA, UC Berekely, UVA, and NYU) and so I'd be happy to get only one acceptance out of six, but my goal is to get two acceptances and have some options open to me. Hoping to hear at least some news by the end of January, but I have a feeling that it won't be until the middle of February until I even start getting rejections, let alone any acceptances.