Applying for Fall 2018

I'mReallyScaredIWontGetIn

I saw on the results page that someone received an acceptance from the musicology department at UC Berkeley...Has anyone else received acceptances, rejections, or waitlist notices? 

Out of curiosity, how many schools have people heard back from at all compared to how many they applied to? I've been in contact with three and applied to six. 

34 minutes ago, KerriR said:

I saw on the results page that someone received an acceptance from the musicology department at UC Berkeley...Has anyone else received acceptances, rejections, or waitlist notices? 

Out of curiosity, how many schools have people heard back from at all compared to how many they applied to? I've been in contact with three and applied to six. 

I've only heard from one (and have been waitlisted) and applied to five. I also applied to Berkeley, and also wonder who the acceptance on the results page is... Hopefully we all hear something soon!

On 08/02/2018 at 11:28 AM, JosePalacios said:

@gweine I heard back from Stanford following my Skype interview and am in the top group of Alternates  - basically, I'm waitlisted. I'm hoping there's a chance that I might get in, though!

I was also wait listed for Stanford. For composition instead of musicology though. I'm curious on how many applicants they put on the wait list.

18 minutes ago, stedf said:

I was also wait listed for Stanford. For composition instead of musicology though. I'm curious on how many applicants they put on the wait list.

Congrats! Yeah, I'm curious about that too... hopefully there's not too many. Fingers crossed!

What are everyone's thoughts on asking a department post-rejection for feedback if it doesn't explicitly say not to contact them for it? I go back and forth of it maybe coming off too interrogative when I want to show a gracious curiosity and continued interest. I'm thinking of framing it in terms of what I can do from now on rather than what was wrong with my application since I would like to apply again in the future. Or should I just hope the work I do from now on until the next application season will do the trick?

4 hours ago, ayeee said:

What are everyone's thoughts on asking a department post-rejection for feedback if it doesn't explicitly say not to contact them for it? I go back and forth of it maybe coming off too interrogative when I want to show a gracious curiosity and continued interest. I'm thinking of framing it in terms of what I can do from now on rather than what was wrong with my application since I would like to apply again in the future. Or should I just hope the work I do from now on until the next application season will do the trick?

From my own experience, I was waitlisted at Michigan last year and then rejected, which was heartbreaking.  So over the summer I contacted one of the professors and asked for advice on how to improve my application as I was going to apply again this year.  He was very generous and gave me specific feedback on my portfolio and how to improve it and I even talked with him over the phone about it.  I took every one of his suggestions, but this year I didn't even get invited for an interview.  So make of it what you will.

18 hours ago, ks391262 said:

From my own experience, I was waitlisted at Michigan last year and then rejected, which was heartbreaking.  So over the summer I contacted one of the professors and asked for advice on how to improve my application as I was going to apply again this year.  He was very generous and gave me specific feedback on my portfolio and how to improve it and I even talked with him over the phone about it.  I took every one of his suggestions, but this year I didn't even get invited for an interview.  So make of it what you will.

Thanks for sharing! Considering you were in contact with this professor, did you or will you contact him again to ask what happened? I know in some cases, not all professors pre-screen applications and only participate in the interview round. That is tough, though. I hope you get some good news if you haven't already!

Has anyone heard from Harvard GSAS concerning Ethnomusicology. I've had interviews with all the other 3 schools I applied to and an offer from one but I still haven't heard from Harvard. Does this mean a rejection since I haven't even been contacted for an interview? I wish they would hurry up so I can decide whether to accept the offer from the other school. Also, i've  been ivited for the Graduate student visit from that school and since I'm an international student, I would rather combine all visits rather than travel to the US multiple times in March. 

40 minutes ago, Beethoven123 said:

Has anyone heard from Harvard GSAS concerning Ethnomusicology. I've had interviews with all the other 3 schools I applied to and an offer from one but I still haven't heard from Harvard. Does this mean a rejection since I haven't even been contacted for an interview? I wish they would hurry up so I can decide whether to accept the offer from the other school. Also, i've  been ivited for the Graduate student visit from that school and since I'm an international student, I would rather combine all visits rather than travel to the US multiple times in March. 

I applied to Harvard for musicology, but have not heard anything yet.

41 minutes ago, Beethoven123 said:

A friend got an acceptance from Harvard but I am not sure if they have finished the procedure. Congrats on your acceptance.  Where else did you apply?

4 hours ago, gweine said:

A friend got an acceptance from Harvard but I am not sure if they have finished the procedure. Congrats on your acceptance.  Where else did you apply?

I also applied to Princeton, UPenn and Pittsburgh. Interviews with Pittsburgh and UPenn. Accepted to Princeton. Waiting to hear from Harvard and visit whatever schools I get accepted to before I make my decision.

17 hours ago, ayeee said:

Thanks for sharing! Considering you were in contact with this professor, did you or will you contact him again to ask what happened? I know in some cases, not all professors pre-screen applications and only participate in the interview round. That is tough, though. I hope you get some good news if you haven't already!

I did write him after I was rejected and he at least was encouraging and told me that he was disappointed too as he had been "rooting for me".  But they have 6 or 7 comp faculty, so I guess the others didn't think as highly of me I suppose.  Still really disappointing though.

Anyone who applied (for musicology at least) at UC Berkeley: I just checked the portal and the admission decision is there! I never got an email notification about it, so maybe decisions are up for everyone now as well. It was a no for me, but best of luck to everyone else!

Edited by JosePalacios

2 hours ago, JosePalacios said:

Anyone who applied (for musicology at least) at UC Berkeley: I just checked the portal and the admission decision is there! I never got an email notification about it, so maybe decisions are up for everyone now as well. It was a no for me, but best of luck to everyone else!

Seems to be the case for ethnomusicology as well. I'm surprised that they didn't send any emails about the admissions' decision though. Mine says that the results were out since the beginning of February.

Unfortunately it's a no-go for me (kind of bummed to be frank, since I really wanted to go there). Good luck to everyone else though!

Edited by mm3192

25 minutes ago, AnthroPhDHopeful said:

Was this through the gradapp.berkeley.edu page? Just checked it and haven't gotten an update so I'm wondering if it's the right place (I know some schools have different pages for admissions results and application submissions).

It was for me, yeah. I opened the application and there was a status update dated February 1st which led me to a rejection letter.

I'm all for receiving a "oops we made a mistake!" email though, ha ha.

27 minutes ago, AnthroPhDHopeful said:

Was this through the gradapp.berkeley.edu page? Just checked it and haven't gotten an update so I'm wondering if it's the right place (I know some schools have different pages for admissions results and application submissions).

Yes, that’s where I checked mine. The status update showed up near the top of the page and, like @mm3192, it said that it had been posted since the beginning of Feb. Maybe it’s slow to update for everyone? Or maybe no news might be good news? Good luck!