Applying for Fall 2018

I'mReallyScaredIWontGetIn

2 hours ago, JosePalacios said:

Yes, that’s where I checked mine. The status update showed up near the top of the page and, like @mm3192, it said that it had been posted since the beginning of Feb. Maybe it’s slow to update for everyone? Or maybe no news might be good news? Good luck!

I received the same message today, so it seems like the portal was slow to update. 

51 minutes ago, SpeakItInto Existence said:

@JosePalacios @mm3192 @AnthroPhDHopeful

I just checked my Berkeley portal and I didn't have any notifications. Looking back on my email from Admissions, the School of Public Health will be notified by email mid February to early March

Hey! I hope you won't mind me pointing out that this particular thread is for prospective students who applied to Music programs, not the School of Public Health. The notifications are usually different for every field though there could be similar time frames.

8 hours ago, KerriR said:

I received the same message today, so it seems like the portal was slow to update. 

Ditto. Got a rejection dated 1st February. I've applied for 8 unis with 3 rejections, 1 wait list, and a pending interview. I'm getting really worried about flat out rejection across all of them at this point.

Should I be?

4 hours ago, stedf said:

Ditto. Got a rejection dated 1st February. I've applied for 8 unis with 3 rejections, 1 wait list, and a pending interview. I'm getting really worried about flat out rejection across all of them at this point.

Should I be?

I feel your pain - applied to 5, with one rejection and one waitlist (and no pending interviews) at this point. 

I think we should keep our heads up and not worry too much about flat out rejection quite yet (at least that’s what I’m trying to tell myself!). It’s hard because I’m definitely starting to worry, but we still have half of the unis we applied to left and it only takes one acceptance :-) 

Good luck on your interview!

Edited by JosePalacios

I've just discovered this thread! I have applied to 5 schools, have interviewed at one but haven't heard from any others. My third letter of recommendation wasn't uploaded until late January so I'm worried my application may have been overlooked. Currently debating whether I should send emails out to the relevant admins but I'm not sure of the formalities. 

28 minutes ago, AnthroPhDHopeful said:

I had an interview with my POI two days ago. This was for ethno, though.

Wow, congrats! Hope it went well. Maybe they do different rounds for ethno/historical interviews... I'll just anticipate a no and hope for a yes!

30 minutes ago, AnthroPhDHopeful said:

Don't know if it helps, but my POI did say things were taking longer than usual with admissions this year (across the board, it seemed). Best of luck!

Congratulations! Based on your username (Christopher Smalls reference, right?), I'm assuming ethno? If so, did you interview beforehand? 

Thank you! Haha musicology program. No, there's no interview.

So it looks like both musicology and composition at Harvard have sent out some decisions, does anyone know if the theory department has sent anything out yet? And has anyone heard anything at all from Columbia? Seems like they've just been totally silent so far

On 2/13/2018 at 5:33 PM, mm3192 said:

Hey! I hope you won't mind me pointing out that this particular thread is for prospective students who applied to Music programs, not the School of Public Health. The notifications are usually different for every field though there could be similar time frames.

I don't mind at all. Sorry about that. I'm new to the site.

2 hours ago, AlecB said:

So it looks like both musicology and composition at Harvard have sent out some decisions, does anyone know if the theory department has sent anything out yet? And has anyone heard anything at all from Columbia? Seems like they've just been totally silent so far

no word from Columbia on my end. i’m theory but i assume they’ll send out musicology and theory at the same time 

2 hours ago, AlecB said:

I also haven't heard anything from Columbia, but I'm composition (and anticipate a rejection anyway).

Edited by LookingforMM

Hi, anyone here for film scoring? I've been lurking for a couple weeks, haha. I applied to USC, NYU, and CalArts and already got the rejection from UCLA (which doesn't have much of a film scoring track anyways, from what I've heard).

I'm a current NYU undergrad and there's been some faculty shifting in the theory department, etc. and Julia Wolfe has been doing a lot of traveling recently so I'd be surprised if composition decisions came out before the end of February. But I'm still hoping for the film scoring decision soon...

The USC screen scoring class last year got their decisions on April 7th, so there's that.

CalArts could come tomorrow, or the end of March. That one is a toss-up.

Hope this is helpful for someone.

On 2/14/2018 at 4:25 PM, I'mReallyScaredIWontGetIn said:

Does anyone know anything about where Northwestern is in their admissions process? Every attempt to not worry about my applications is proving futile... 

I am also still awaiting a decision from Northwestern's Musicology department. I did receive an email one month ago saying they were "strongly considering my application." Did you receive one of those emails, too? And is your application for a PhD in Musicology?

Edited by Mwinkle

Howdy all,

I've been watching this for about a week but now have mustered the energy to create an account because I have a question based on recent developments:

I see on the survey page for Music Composition that Duke and UCSD have sent out acceptances to (at least) one applicant. Upon seeing that, I checked my application status which still says "Under Review" for UCSD and a Duke grad-admissions representative said something similar (that they have "no decision information [to give] at this time"). 

Obviously, while it's just speculation, anyone have any ideas why that might be? My best hope is that it doesn't mean anything and I still have a shot at either of those respective institutions, but the cynical part of me suspects that this is either just an informal wait-list or the procedure for rejected applicants. Anyone have any other ideas I've overlooked, or any insight on why a school might do this?

(And it should be noted that I had very little expectation on getting in to either school, but it'll still sting if/when the rejection comes).

2 hours ago, Mwinkle said:

I am also still awaiting a decision from Northwestern's Musicology department. I did receive an email one month ago saying they were "strongly considering my application." Did you receive one of those emails, too? And is your application for a PhD in Musicology?

I did not, but I'm also not applying for Musicology, so maybe it's different. Normally they let the people whom they want to interview know by now, so I have a bad feeling. 

17 hours ago, LeSighhhhh said:

Howdy all,

I've been watching this for about a week but now have mustered the energy to create an account because I have a question based on recent developments:

I see on the survey page for Music Composition that Duke and UCSD have sent out acceptances to (at least) one applicant. Upon seeing that, I checked my application status which still says "Under Review" for UCSD and a Duke grad-admissions representative said something similar (that they have "no decision information [to give] at this time"). 

Obviously, while it's just speculation, anyone have any ideas why that might be? My best hope is that it doesn't mean anything and I still have a shot at either of those respective institutions, but the cynical part of me suspects that this is either just an informal wait-list or the procedure for rejected applicants. Anyone have any other ideas I've overlooked, or any insight on why a school might do this?

(And it should be noted that I had very little expectation on getting in to either school, but it'll still sting if/when the rejection comes).

I was accepted into the MM (comp) course but my letter was dated a week and a bit earlier. So it's possible they're releasing things in blocks? Perhaps based on being domestic/cali local/international? Either way, I wouldn't give up until you've got something solid, I suppose. Good luck!