Applying for Fall 2018

I'mReallyScaredIWontGetIn

1 hour ago, mm3192 said:

Has anyone heard back from Cornell or Columbia for Musicology, PhD? It's March and I'm starting to think that no news by now is probably a rejection...

Personally, I didn't apply but I do know people who have heard back from Cornell and Columbia. The person I'm thinking of who was accepted into Cornell hasn't accepted their offer yet (as far as I know), so nothing seems finalized. Have you searched the results page?

4 hours ago, mm3192 said:

Has anyone heard back from Cornell or Columbia for Musicology, PhD? It's March and I'm starting to think that no news by now is probably a rejection...

I heard back from Cornell on February, 12. I received my offer letter on February, 15.
I am confident that by now, the faculty members at Cornell finished deliberations and are waiting to hear back from candidates who were offered admission into the PhD program. If someone who was accepted decides to attend another institution, you might receive an offer. Keep your fingers crossed. You never know what might happen.
According to the results page, Columbia already sent out offers and placed candidates on a waiting list. 

Edited by Torralvo

19 hours ago, KerriR said:

Personally, I didn't apply but I do know people who have heard back from Cornell and Columbia. The person I'm thinking of who was accepted into Cornell hasn't accepted their offer yet (as far as I know), so nothing seems finalized. Have you searched the results page?

Huh, that's interesting... I have searched the results page, but there isn't much data out there (not surprisingly), so I'm kind of at a loss lol

17 hours ago, Torralvo said:

I heard back from Cornell on February, 12. I received my offer letter on February, 15.
I am confident that by now, the faculty members at Cornell finished deliberations and are waiting to hear back from candidates who were offered admission into the PhD program. If someone who was accepted decides to attend another institution, you might receive an offer. Keep your fingers crossed. You never know what might happen.
According to the results page, Columbia already sent out offers and placed candidates on a waiting list. 

Congrats on getting accepted!

I'm only confused because I never received an acceptance, rejection, or a waiting list notification of any kind. Nothing changed in my application portal either.. it's just a "your application has been submitted" kind of deal.

Saw on the results that someone heard from Brandeis musicology -- would you mind sharing some details about your experience? It says notified via phone - has your application status changed on the website or did you receive any email yet? 

1 hour ago, JosePalacios said:

Saw on the results that someone heard from Brandeis musicology -- would you mind sharing some details about your experience? It says notified via phone - has your application status changed on the website or did you receive any email yet? 

I received a phone call from a professor today notifying me of admission and the funding offer. My application status has not changed on the website, but I was told the official paperwork would come soon.

On 3/2/2018 at 9:54 PM, Mwinkle said:

I also got a "we're strongly considering your application" email from Northwestern (for Musicology). Do you know how many applicants they accept? Did you have an interview, or just a phone call? 

I wouldn't really call it an "interview" but they were definitely trying to get a better idea of my interests, the call lasted for about 20 minutes or so. I ended up giving the prof that I spoke to some music recs. I'm not sure how many they accept though. 

12 hours ago, musicology18 said:

I received a phone call from a professor today notifying me of admission and the funding offer. My application status has not changed on the website, but I was told the official paperwork would come soon.

Congrats on your acceptance! I hadn’t seen any notifications via phone for Brandeis in the past results on the results search so I was curious about that.

I have a waitlist and several implied rejections at this point (no acceptances), so I’m praying that I’m at least waitlisted at Brandeis - only time will tell I guess. Congrats again!

On 4/3/2018 at 6:22 PM, mm3192 said:

Huh, that's interesting... I have searched the results page, but there isn't much data out there (not surprisingly), so I'm kind of at a loss lol

Congrats on getting accepted!

I'm only confused because I never received an acceptance, rejection, or a waiting list notification of any kind. Nothing changed in my application portal either.. it's just a "your application has been submitted" kind of deal.

I didn't receive an acceptance, rejection or waiting list either. I guess we should know something more soon...at least I hope so!

On 3/5/2018 at 7:41 PM, EyeJay said:

I wouldn't really call it an "interview" but they were definitely trying to get a better idea of my interests, the call lasted for about 20 minutes or so. I ended up giving the prof that I spoke to some music recs. I'm not sure how many they accept though. 

I received an email this morning notifying me that I have been placed on the wait list for NU. Any updates on your end? 

7 hours ago, Mwinkle said:

I received an email this morning notifying me that I have been placed on the wait list for NU. Any updates on your end? 

No updates yet! Still waiting it out. The only school I've heard back from is University of Toronto.

I'm hoping that this means that they still like me enough that they don't want to say no yet lol.

I'm hoping I get results back within the next two weeks tbh

Just got a rejection from MSU

and the other day I saw on Boston University's website (the the school of fine arts' website) that they aren't even accepting anyone for Musicology for the 2018-19 school year :/

I guess I just have to wait on Northwestern MM program :/

2 hours ago, EyeJay said:

Aaaaaand an hour later I just got notified that I've been accepted into Boston University

Congratulations! I think it's odd that you haven't heard from NU yet, although maybe their Master's admissions process is different or separate from their PhD process. How do BU and NU rank on your list?

57 minutes ago, Mwinkle said:

Congratulations! I think it's odd that you haven't heard from NU yet, although maybe their Master's admissions process is different or separate from their PhD process. How do BU and NU rank on your list?

Yeah I'm thinking their Master's admissions is different. Their website says master's applicants should hear back in March (and it seems like none of the other master's applicants have heard back either). So any time now.

NU is pretty high on my list. BU is about number 3, but I'm (of course) still very happy with it. I get some funding too, which is always nice. 

52 minutes ago, EyeJay said:

Yeah I'm thinking their Master's admissions is different. Their website says master's applicants should hear back in March (and it seems like none of the other master's applicants have heard back either). So any time now.

NU is pretty high on my list. BU is about number 3, but I'm (of course) still very happy with it. I get some funding too, which is always nice. 

That's great!!! I'm happy that they told you about funding right away. Crossing my fingers for you that you get more responses soon so that maybe you could even lobby for more funding, especially for an expensive school in an expensive city. 

2 hours ago, drumsforhire said:

Is it safe to say Duke's Musicology PhD spots are filled? I submitted my application well before the deadline (in early December) and have heard nothing since. The GradCafe admission results pages and history are all over the place. Thoughts, anyone?

I wouldn't say so. It is likely that they have made offers to candidates, but until those folks accept those offers, the slots cannot be "filled." Departments seem quick to send out rejection letters once they know for a fact they will not be making you an offer. You may be somewhere on their wait list. 

16 hours ago, Mwinkle said:

I wouldn't say so. It is likely that they have made offers to candidates, but until those folks accept those offers, the slots cannot be "filled." Departments seem quick to send out rejection letters once they know for a fact they will not be making you an offer. You may be somewhere on their wait list. 

Okay, that is helpful to know. This is my first go-around with graduate school applications so I am pretty much in the dark about admission decisions. It surprises me how comforting your response to me feels! Thank you for your thoughts. 

Its not all bad news, I got in to UNC Chapel Hill, Pittsburgh, and Cambridge but this waiting is getting unbearable! Any recent news from UCLA or Duke for anyone? Also was anyone else on here waitlisted at Penn or anywhere else? I don't really know what to do with that information and its driving me a little bit crazy!

54 minutes ago, Rimsky-korsakov said:

Its not all bad news, I got in to UNC Chapel Hill, Pittsburgh, and Cambridge but this waiting is getting unbearable! Any recent news from UCLA or Duke for anyone? Also was anyone else on here waitlisted at Penn or anywhere else? I don't really know what to do with that information and its driving me a little bit crazy!

I was waitlisted for the Musicology PhD program at Northwestern. I also haven't heard anything from UCLA. My suspicion is that those of us on wait lists will have to wait around until folks who have received offers make their decisions, which may cut close to April 15. I feel really bad for my partner--we're getting married on May 13 and we can't even plan a honeymoon until we know whether or not we will have to move across the country this summer.