wishingonuoft

Hey everyone! It's already October (.......), I graduated from the MSW at U of T in June 2017 and remember this forum being quite the comfort during application season given how obnoxiously anxiety inducing the process was. Feel free to post about the ins and outs of your process, it's important people have an outlet (#selfcare) and a social network. I'm rooting for ALL of you, if you have any questions just inbox me :D. 

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised that this forum has become relatively inactive for Canadian MSW programs! I was actually logging on to see how future peers/colleagues were doing with their applications, and because one of my professors on UofT is part of the admissions committee and gave me the inside scoop on what they look for. Ah well. 

Hi everyone!

I have also noticed that this forum has been quite inactive for Canadian MSW programs. I am applying for the 2 year MSW programs at York, U of T and Laurier (with my preference being U of T). I would love any insight that former accepted applicants have for the application and admissions process! 

I have a diploma in Child and Youth Work and am currently completing my bachelors in Child and Youth Care. I have approximately 4000 hours of paid experience within the social services field and approximately 4000 hours of volunteer/practicum experience working in the field as well. I also have research experience including several Research Assistant positions, as well as currently completing original research for my undergraduate thesis. 

I would appreciate any input about admissions or support with the application process!

Sarah

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/13/2017 at 9:50 AM, SarahMLG said:

Hi everyone!

I have also noticed that this forum has been quite inactive for Canadian MSW programs. I am applying for the 2 year MSW programs at York, U of T and Laurier (with my preference being U of T). I would love any insight that former accepted applicants have for the application and admissions process! 

I have a diploma in Child and Youth Work and am currently completing my bachelors in Child and Youth Care. I have approximately 4000 hours of paid experience within the social services field and approximately 4000 hours of volunteer/practicum experience working in the field as well. I also have research experience including several Research Assistant positions, as well as currently completing original research for my undergraduate thesis. 

I would appreciate any input about admissions or support with the application process!

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Sorry! I've been quite inactive on this forum. I am enrolled in a class with a professor in the admissions committee that says the admit people who are already doing the work but need the degree. As long as you demonstrate you are critical, have been doing similar work, etc. you should be fine. 

• 1 month later...

Yay I'm so glad this thread is here! I applied for the Sept 2018 advanced standing MSW clinical specialization at the University of Calgary. I have absolutely no plan b so I really hope I get in. The study plan was such a doozy! My GPA is around 3.8 I believe (they calculate from the last two years apparently) and I have two years experience. One year at two different homeless shelters as a support worker and one year as a clinical counsellor for rural indigenous reserves. Has anyone else applied to U of C? 

21 hours ago, Meemoo said:

Yay I'm so glad this thread is here! I applied for the Sept 2018 advanced standing MSW clinical specialization at the University of Calgary. I have absolutely no plan b so I really hope I get in. The study plan was such a doozy! My GPA is around 3.8 I believe (they calculate from the last two years apparently) and I have two years experience. One year at two different homeless shelters as a support worker and one year as a clinical counsellor for rural indigenous reserves. Has anyone else applied to U of C? 

Hey Meemoo!

We have a lot more activity over on this thread: 

- come say hi!

On 10/9/2017 at 12:31 AM, wishingonuoft said:

Hey everyone! It's already October (.......), I graduated from the MSW at U of T in June 2017 and remember this forum being quite the comfort during application season given how obnoxiously anxiety inducing the process was. Feel free to post about the ins and outs of your process, it's important people have an outlet (#selfcare) and a social network. I'm rooting for ALL of you, if you have any questions just inbox me :D. 

Hey, when did you receive your offer to U of T?

2 minutes ago, hannahdaviidson said:

I'm surprised by how few people are posting in this thread. I applied to a bunch of the Two Year MSW programs and the waiting game is rough.

Hey, there's a lot more activity in this thread for 2 year MSW programs: 

What schools are you currently waiting on?

I applied to San Jose State University in California and am anxiously waiting to hear back. But the application deadline was February 1st and i submitted my application not too much before the deadline so it will probably be awhile. This is the only school I applied to since I want to stay local. Good luck to everyone!

Hello guys,

i am an international student from Ghana. Currently volunteering in Turkey. I have a BA in Integrated Development Studies. My CGPA stands at 2.86/5.0 but I am wondering how they'll calculate my GPA. Is it going to be calculated base on my last 2 years undergrad studies or? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I applied to the UofM Pre-master's in Social Work for the fall term. My status: Complete and under review in department. 

I also applied to the SFU for postgrad diploma in Urban Studies.

Do I stand a chance of admission?

Hiya,

I applied to Portland State's Master of Social Work program and according to the website, we can't expect to find out until late-March or early-April. D: Our application was due in December so I'm just wasting away and kind of starting to lose it with the waiting game! Anyone else apply to this program?

On 2/19/2018 at 1:42 AM, Snowflake99 said:

I applied to San Jose State University in California and am anxiously waiting to hear back. But the application deadline was February 1st and i submitted my application not too much before the deadline so it will probably be awhile. This is the only school I applied to since I want to stay local. Good luck to everyone!

HIIII! We're on the same boat! I'm waiting for SJSU as well, and I feel like I'm going crazy waiting for them! I turned in my application on 12/18 and no word back.

On 2/19/2018 at 2:03 PM, mintypins said:

Hiya,

I applied to Portland State's Master of Social Work program and according to the website, we can't expect to find out until late-March or early-April. D: Our application was due in December so I'm just wasting away and kind of starting to lose it with the waiting game! Anyone else apply to this program?

Hey, I applied to the 3 year program and am checking daily for basically no reason except self torture! :wacko:

On 2/26/2018 at 5:10 PM, lonepinecone said:

Hey, I applied to the 3 year program and am checking daily for basically no reason except self torture! :wacko:

Ahh, it's so the worst, isn't it? Now that it's March I'm finding it even more torturous. I really hope you get in!!

On 3/2/2018 at 4:15 PM, mintypins said:

Ahh, it's so the worst, isn't it? Now that it's March I'm finding it even more torturous. I really hope you get in!!

My coworker just got her acceptances and her mom and some other folks also got decisions today but they applied advanced standing. I’m just hoping I’m not waitlisted— the worst!

15 hours ago, lonepinecone said:

My coworker just got her acceptances and her mom and some other folks also got decisions today but they applied advanced standing. I’m just hoping I’m not waitlisted— the worst!

The waitlist is my worst nightmare! I’d honestly rather be rejected, lol. Maybe advanced standing is on a different timeline since they already have some background on the applicants. Fingers crossed it’s soon for the rest of us.

On 3/5/2018 at 10:42 AM, mintypins said:

The waitlist is my worst nightmare! I’d honestly rather be rejected, lol. Maybe advanced standing is on a different timeline since they already have some background on the applicants. Fingers crossed it’s soon for the rest of us.

I feel like Advanced Standing has to have first decision since its a 1 year program as opposed to me, applying for the 3 year part-time program. Fingers crossed into spaghetti knots!

I got an email from SJSU stating I had a message to check in the online portal last week. Got SO excited, this must be the decision, right??? I know it's still early to hear back but why else would they message me? Hopefully I didn't forget to submit anything for the application! Sign into the application portal and the message only stated they received my financial aid application. Guess I will keep waiting!

Hey all, 

I currently attend another graduate program at PSU, but applied to the MSW program for this fall. I have friends over in the MSW program that told me that we might be hearing back this week regarding admission to the 2,3, or 4 year program. I applied for the 4 year program, so crossing fingers! They told me that they send out their acceptance letters in March and their waitlist/rejection letters in April...

Hope this certainly helps! I hate waiting too. 

4 hours ago, anthurium said:

Hey all, 

I currently attend another graduate program at PSU, but applied to the MSW program for this fall. I have friends over in the MSW program that told me that we might be hearing back this week regarding admission to the 2,3, or 4 year program. I applied for the 4 year program, so crossing fingers! They told me that they send out their acceptance letters in March and their waitlist/rejection letters in April...

Hope this certainly helps! I hate waiting too. 

Thanks for the info! @mintypins and i are exhausted from refreshing our emails

Well, I was told that acceptance letters typically arrive on a Friday (late afternoon/early evening) along with an email from PSU about housing options. Let me know if you hear anything on Friday. I'll let you know as well as I am exhausted from checking/refreshing applyweb and my email.