GRE Score for Anth PhD Program

phyanth

Hi there! Nervous physical anthropology phd applicant for the 2018 cycle here. A little bit of background from me:

- BA from U Mich in Evolutionary Anthropology 2012

- MA from Texas Tech in Physical Anthropology 2015

I tried to see what I could get in the private sector, and worked as an Archaeological Tech, and then as a Medicolegal Death Invesigator/Autopsy Tech for a year and a half. However, I was diagnosed with a pituitary adenoma last month, and had to leave my job. Throughout all of this, I knew deep down that I wanted to continue my masters thesis research at the phd level. It’s an interesting topic that has little specific literature. Health wise, I’m crappy, but had to take the gre today so I can apply this season before my surgery. For having severe active hyperthyroidism and the tumor, I thought I did pretty well. However, after poking around here, I am not so sure anymore.

long story short, I would love to know gre scores for those of you who were successful phd applicants, and where you were accepted! I know it’s largely due to fit, but gre scores have some role, correct? 

For the record, I received a 161 in VR and 160 in Quant. Thanks a bunch in advance!

Honestly your scores sound pretty amazing to me. I didn't have anywhere close to the scores that you received and got into my graduate program...though this is just a MA program. I will likely be taking the GRE again before I decide if I'm going to apply to PhD programs.

And technically GRE scores sometimes matter for some schools, but many anthropology programs that I talked to said that the GRE is far down their list on requirements. They understand that the GRE is a horrible way to assess whether someone will do well in a graduate program.

But again, I wouldn't stress too much. You have a good score from what I can tell. It truly is more about fit, letters of rec, and your SOP than your GRE scores.

Okay, thank you! I'm only worried about the GRE because my UGrad GPA was pretty awful, but I graduated with a 3.9 in my MA. I just don't want the ghosts of undergrad past to haunt my PhD applications, considering that I have done so much since then!

Your scores are fine - I had a 163 VR and a 150 Quant and got multiple offers last cycle.  In the case of anthropology admissions, GRE scores are one of those things that won't sink an application unless they are absolutely horrendous, like 140 VR 140 Quant or something like that.