SIPA Early Application Thread

yellina122

Hi all!

Since Columbia SIPA"s early application deadline is right around the corner, I wanted to start a thread for other SIPA hopefuls who- if they are anything like myself- are quietly panicking right about now.

Anyone else struggling with the ridiculously short SOP word count? Has anyone actually submitted their app yet?

I want to submit soon too but I have to take my GRE in November because I live internationally and the closest computerized test is a 5-hour drive. What are peoples application stats looking like?

GPA: 3.29 small, academically rigorous liberal arts college. Major Political Science, Minor IR

GRE: (estimate) 160V 155Q

Work experience: 5 years international-2years Peace Corps (Africa) 1 year ESL Asia 1 year research (Central America)

Speak French and Mandarin at advanced level

LGBT first-generation college student

@trang Girl, I wish I could do that. Still fussing with the "optional" essay and trying to get my SOP to 400 words exactly haha.

But my stats are

GPA: 3.46, big private uni; Psych major and English minor

GRE: 169 V, 159 Q, 5.5 W

Work Experience: 2 years of neuroscience research in undergrad, 2 years part-time internships in psychiatric wards/hospital schools working with disabled kids, 1.5 years in data management for cancer research, and 2.5 years in fundraising/advocacy/communications at a nonprofit serving people with psych conditions and other disabilities

Lacking a bit with the quant stuff, but I took an economics class at a local college this summer to make up for it, and hopefully, my experience will make up for it!

I just happened to start the application super early. And yes, the essay low word count was certainly tricky.

My background:

University: Economics degree at LSE

GRE: 161V 165Q 4.0AWA - didn't have time to prepare for the writing session :(

Work experience: 2 years as consultant

Born and raised in Vietnam, living in London for the last 6 years

Glad to find this forum!! I don't feel alone in this anymore.

I just submitted mine and waiting to complete the video response. Hope it won't be too bad.

University: USC International Relations and Economics double major / GPA: 3.67

GRE: 165V 165Q 4.5W 

Work experience: Fresh graduated. Half a year working experience in the private sector. Two years of research assistantship. Various internships during college

Native Chinese

CROSS FINGERS for everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

I got the regular confirmation that my app was successfully submitted but nothing about it being forwarded to admissions.

So looking at past years, decisions will probably be out right before the office closes for XMas, maybe the 22nd.

• 2 weeks later...

University: Russian Area Studies and Economics double major at top LAC / GPA: 3.52

GRE: 166V 161Q 4.5W 

Work experience: Baby senior with only some (very good) internships in public service. Really hoping for an acceptance for my birthday and have no idea what will happen. Also applied EA.

Do other EA people have "review next steps for fall 2018 admitted students to understand your checklist items" on their application status page? I honestly can't remember if it was there before. xD

Edited by lackey
Spelling

41 minutes ago, lackey said:

Do other EA people have "review next steps for fall 2018 admitted students to understand your checklist items" on their application status page? I honestly can't remember if it was there before. xD

Yes! Super misleading but it has been there since I first submitted my app. I saw a thread from old SIPA applicants that said everyone had that link, and that it also confused them haha.

48 minutes ago, nepravilniybuterbrod said:

Anyone have an inkling on when decisions will drop? Judging by history it should be Thursday the 21st.

Yeah if we're going by past Grad Cafe stats then the early crew gets notified the last day before Xmas break, so the 22nd at the latest. But the website says by the first week of January so I suppose the very very latest they'd go is the 5th of January.

16 minutes ago, lackey said:

SIPA emailed me today to ask me about something in my app. Hopefully that's an acceptance kind of indication lol. 

Did it seem like they were still reviewing applications? Cause then they may not release decisions until after the New Year